66336aa9121c6

66336aa91274f
1 Guest is here.

Topic: System Shock 1 custom High Quality Soundfont
Page: « 1 2 [3]
Read 55983 times  

66336aa912e9eDeu sex

66336aa912f22
mm, no criticism so far, except for one guy on steam which was very happy about it apparently

So I'm gonna release this version (with minor tweaks) as the "faithful" one and create a Steam guide ASAP, as well as a proper mod page on the forum.
In the meantime I'll be doing the "arranged" version, shouldn't take long as it's only a question of swapping instruments here and there (basically replacing the ones that sounds weird)

66336aa913075Deu sex

66336aa9130c7
Link to final version of the faithful variant :

https://mega.nz/#!KsAwCQRK!w05s5ErERF59u1HPfARUO5WoG9uvSREuTO3daId0Mho

that's right, I'm not going to touch this one anymore !
Other modifications from now will just be the arranged version !
Acknowledged by: sgupta
66336aa91334f
So I'm about to play my first re-playthrough in a long while soon, and I just happened to notice this and thought I'd check it out, and from a bit of sampling, I'm very impressed!!  I actually never heard the game sound this good - I can't remember the MIDI I used the first time, but it wasn't that far removed from the Windows default MIDI.  This is much different than I'm used to, but it sounds so much better!!! 

Out of curiosity, since this is the "faithful" remake, how did you arrive at it?  On how you remember it sounding on premium sound cards back in the day, or some way of sampling that to find out what instruments sounded right?

And I'm curious what you're "arranged version" will be like - does this mean you're going to play with it more liberally and try to inject your own musical creativity for that version?

Again, blown away by the amount of work and passion that went into this, and even more excited about replaying now!  Thank you!

66336aa91349bDeu sex

66336aa9134f2
Thanks so much for the feedback !

The faithful thing just means that I'm forcing myself to not only use the original composition, but also the original instruments.
I don't really have a true memory of how it sounded at the time, except videos of the MAC version's music and old DOS music with sound blaster cards that you can find on youtube :)

The arranged version will still use the original composition, but I'm going to do a bit of instrument replacement hack ^^ so it will use other instruments than intended sometimes, at first I was very tempted to do this only, but since it's my personal vision of the System Shock OST, I figured it was more respectful to separate it in an other distinct file. It was very hard to resist the temptation, as making the OST sound great with the original intended instruments was a pretty hardcore challenge sometimes ^^

As for the process, I describe it in an earlier post, it's a bit long so I'll let you find it instead of copying it here again !
« Last Edit: 12. July 2019, 08:41:49 by Deu sex »
66336aa913636
Thanks!  I'll be sure to look that up about the process - I had skimmed the thread before my first post, but was anxious to try it out, so must have missed it.  =oP

I think it's a good call to have a "faithful" version and then the "arranged" version - it gives people a nice choice as well as a fun reason to replay too.   
Acknowledged by: Deu sex

66336aa9137e0Deu sex

66336aa91382e
Boom I'm dropping the arranged version !

https://mega.nz/#!7tBgzArJ!hwdVpilijgu4zLfxV3xdBm5I1GoTnGJDHn96dDfY1ho

Please don't jump of your chair just because it's different, It might sound weird at beginning, but a lot of parts in the game really benefit from it.
The biggest changes are medical, cyberspace intro, radiation pit, security action, and maybe some other parts I'm forgetting.
But to be honest I'm really happy with the faithful version so I didn't change much in the end.

It's still in public testing though so if you have suggestions they are welcome :)

66336aa91396aDeu sex

66336aa9139bd
A lot of small bugfixes in it, I'm kind of accelerating here but I honestly don't think there's going to be another version, I listened to every possible alterations provided by the midi files from nintendoeats, and everything sounds good to me :

https://mega.nz/#!j0IHDa7B!7jrJwSuD9Y1lVz8vi3SNIcR_yrwbZMxCav1ZY7GRN1w had to correct a nasty last minute bug sorry for that...

https://mega.nz/#!T5xDWIJL!M3lq90Nz2CsG0rzItBoWumN6thsyvqeMV9TdZlEAR9Y

Enjoy ! Now, I have to create a proper mod thread ^^
« Last Edit: 14. July 2019, 17:45:50 by Deu sex »

66336aa913addKenny Bremer

66336aa913b27
Thanks, it sounds great!  As for the save point I posted, it's probably best you didn't get to it.  I'm pretty sure there's no way of fixing it without breaking something else.  There are only a few places on a couple levels where the dynamic music goes crazy.  I think it sounds a bit better now: it still sounds crazy, but not as rough.  If you want to hear the difference, the save file is a legacy file so it will load in both dosbox and the source port.  Again, I really don't think it can be fixed.  I downloaded the arranged_final.  What you've done sounds great!  Thanks again for all your work!

66336aa913c1cDeu sex

66336aa913c65
I see, well, I have to make some edits after I heard some of Chicajo's work that really sounded great to me, it's not much, but I clean installed my computer recently and I need to reinstall all the softwares etc...
But once I make those edits (a little bugfix to faithful and some little additions to arranged) I'll finally make that thread I was talking about back then, and provide actual links for people on Steam and Discord ^^

I hope Nightdive will fix the Cyberspace music alteration bug though (maybe it is already ? can't be sure since I clean installed)
66336aa913d6b
Looking forward to the new versions!  =)  I haven't heard anything as far as the CyberSpace music bug yet, apart from confirmation they're aware of it and it's on the list of things they're looking at.  I'm kind of waiting for my playthrough for it to (hopefully) be resolved too.
1 Guest is here.
It’s quite obvious: all we need are some premises, a few tools, and a piece of wood, roughly door-shaped.
Contact SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2016, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies
FEEP
66336aa913fcd