System Shock 2: Enhanced Edition Update & Community Participation

1 Guest is here.
◀◀Page: 125/126▶▶
664914870c028
eldroneQuote

Quote by Nameless Voice:
Why not just dynamically change the Self Illumination property to change the emission brightness?  Much easier than fighting with frame-based animation sequences.  And smoother, too.

Yeah, Joint + SelfIllum change, would still be through squirrel for full ease control.

But as it is now for me, frame-based sequences are super easy to implement and I'm just looking for scp compatibility.

Regardless, it's all interesting hacks to reach a goal, if I hadn't peaked at the button stuff in scp I would've missed out on a lot of the cool things that I'm doing right now.
664914870c408
📱 sarge945Quote
Another feature Request.

It would be nice if there was an easy way to make psi effects, alarms, etc persist through loading zones.

The way levels are handled by the game engine obviously makes that extremely problematic.

Being able to add new sounds via dml would also be fantastic. Currently there's no real way to do that and it's very limiting.

I'd also love a way to disable saving via squirrel, and perform saves using squirrel so we can make the SS2 equivalent of ink ribbons, but I'm a bit insane when it comes to difficulty and I understand that mashing the quicksave key is so entrenched that there's probably no point asking.

Same thing with enabling/disabling multiplayer respawns via squirrel.

Also, I think @RoSoDude would appreciate a way to draw on top of game ui elements using overlay handlers (or even replace them), since iirc that's caused annoying issues with RSD mod.

Sorry for asking for so much, we have a chance here to have the best possible version of SS2, and it's an opportunity I feel is important to capitalize on.
Acknowledged by: eldrone
664914870c81e
ZylonBaneQuote

Quote by eldrone:
And having massive amounts of .bin's in the one obj folder
Meh, modern games have a hundred times as many asset files as SS2.
Acknowledged by: icemann
664914870ca83
sarge945Quote

Quote by ZylonBane:

IIRC Pathologic stores every model in every map as a separate bin file, with an offset from the origin.

SS2 having a few extra bins is a drop in the bucket compared to modern game shenanigans.
664914870cd36
eldroneQuote

Quote by ZylonBane:

Oh for sure, there's a ton of overhead right now, but my sanity starts slipping going through that obj folder, while other games nicely structure their files in neat subfolders.

But it would be nice to be able to tell the engine to tweq through index 0-24 of a .bin that could contain any number of meshes without having a massive amount of blah_0-100.bin taking up visual space in the obj folder.

But again, dark engines ways of animations keeps coming back and haunting me, so many things possible if everything wasn't so hardcoded and locked down with the database, rigs and use.

Random thought:

Theoretically with a hundred of bins it should be possible to sort of replicate an animated enemy right now, including virtual vhots for attachments and such, minus the nice blending and all that.

◀◀Page: 125/126▶▶

Legal stuff

Privacy Policy & Terms of Service Contact