6648e3a003c81

6648e3a0041b8
1 Guest is here.

Topic: NewDark original releases: SS2 and Thief2
Page: « 1 ... 4 [5] 6 7 »
Read 113218 times  

6648e3a004748Fironkkuify

6648e3a0047b8
This may be a bit silly, but does the patch work for Thief 1?  Or just Thief 2?
6648e3a0049b4
both.
since installing 1.19 patch on thief1/gold is quite complicated, you can use unofficial complete patch.

http://www.ttlg.com/forums/showthread.php?t=134733&s=fb18274609a4f3d3be45fc6c20ba425b
TFix for thief1/gold

http://www.ttlg.com/forums/showthread.php?t=131106&s=fb18274609a4f3d3be45fc6c20ba425b
Tafferpatcher for thief2

those included 1.19 patch.

6648e3a004cfcvoodoo47

6648e3a004d54
Just tried this via Kolyas 4.4 tool. great stuff. Curious if the "Native FSAA and filtering support" is adjustable?  At a glance it looks comparable to 4xAA & 16xAF which is great.
yeah. look for multisampling in cam_ext.cfg.
6648e3a004e84
Wow, are new unofficial patch. I'm gonna have to try this tonight. Does anybody actually still play ss2 multiplayer, if so I'm gonna try this too! I still adore this game, one of the greatest ever made and seriously underrated, I listen to the amazing soundtrack on my iPhone all the time.

6648e3a004f51voodoo47

6648e3a004fa8
no need to get the raw files, they are already included in the ss2tool. do note that unfortunately, multiplayer seems to be just as buggy as before.

6648e3a005073silenthill4545

6648e3a0050c5
when I try to run shock2 from the the shock folder it says "unable to locate or load d3dx9_43.dll
6648e3a005230
See the post above yours. Follow the instructions after the link.
6648e3a0055d4
I've searched for this and have found basically no info on it.

The changelist in the ttlg thread contains the following line:
- Added "Blocks frobs" property, allowing objects to block frobs of objects behind them (e.g. to stop frobbing items through safe doors)

In SHOCK\doc\new_config_vars.txt , there is an entry regarding that as follows:

frob_mode <0 - 2>

I believe this feature is preventing me from using a particular speed running strategy, in which certain things are frobbed through a wall immediately after quickloading.
The entry continues:
frob line of sight mode, default is 0. This allows enabling of a more strict obstruction check for a potential
    frob target, to prevent frobbing through walls scenarios. That does however mean that sometimes objects which
    are only partially visible won't be frobbable, like an object on a shelf (made of terrain polys) above head
    height, unless you jump or climb onto something, or an object around a corner that's only partially visible.
    Use at your own risk, it could potentially break missions that placed "hidden" frobbable objects in such way
    that the player can never see more than a small fraction.
    Modes: 0 = standard (only objects marked as blocking will obstruct)
           1 = all terrain and objects marked as blocking will obstruct
           2 = (Shock only) like mode 1 but prevents HUD brackets/info to appear on obstructed objects, unlike
               mode 1 where the brackets/info will appear the same way as they do in mode 0, even if the object
               can't actually be interacted with. For Shock this mode is recommended over 1 because it's less
               confusing. (In Thief this mode is the same as 1.)

I'm not sure exactly what the wording here means. Does it mean that when set to 0, things work exactly as in the original game? Or that there is still a slight difference? Because even when set to 0 (when entered into cam_ext.cfg in the SHOCK folder), I experience a slight difference from what I used to, and from what I've observed in other players' cases. Does anyone know how to disable this feature entirely? It's necessary for speed running, but I don't want to give up all the other benefits of NewDark if I don't have to.
6648e3a005702
It sure sounds like setting it to zero was original behaviour. What slight difference did you notice?
Nice avatar by the way. It really ties the post together. :)
6648e3a0059b4
You too pal  :proud:

The major difference is that I can't do the trick I'm attempting here:
http://www.twitch.tv/m1_account/c/2009797
Other players have been able to frob the Ops Override panel through the glass window by quicksaving while looking at it, quickloading while looking at it from the room below, and holding down a key bound to use which makes it rapid-fire. The panel should be frobbable for 1 frame after quickloading. I can't ever get it to work for me though.

What makes me think frob mode 0 is slightly different is that, after switching from HOTU to installing with SSTools, a few similar tricks are harder.
Example: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WYXIr1IeO1M&t=5m01s
I used to be able to frob the desk through the window, but now there is only a small space in the wall to the left where I have to grab it from.

I can't run the game without NewDark on this machine so I can't test it. It's not really a big deal since I think a "no quicksaving" rule would be good for speed running this game anyway, but I'm so curious I can't stop thinking about it.

sorry for being wordy but I like being detailed

6648e3a005a71voodoo47

6648e3a005abd
well, this is an exploit, and NewDark is known to fix exploits. quite a number of other (Thief) players have reported that the old exploits (like rope boost jump or backward mantle) do not work anymore. so I would say that you are out of luck.
« Last Edit: 05. February 2017, 19:00:09 by voodoo47 »
6648e3a005ba3
Since NewDark exchanges the game engine speedruns cannot be compared to runs done in the old engine.

6648e3a005ca8ZylonBane

6648e3a005cf4
Christ, relying on an exploit like that for a speed run is how you know you've completely disappeared up your own asshole. May as well make a save game at the final boss, load it-- success! SS2 speed run in 1 second!
6648e3a005dd6
I think it's pretty common and within the generally accepted rules to use exploits, eg combining forward running + strafing in SS2.
6648e3a006025
THere is a difference between using cheats or using exploits when speedruns are concerned. Not a big deal.
6648e3a00610c
I didn't understand that it was such a fundamental change to the engine. Thanks for the answers.
6648e3a006410
Apparently there's a newer version of OpenAL (2.1.0.0) than what is being used by SS2Tool (2.0.7.0):
http://forums.creative.com/showthread.php?t=548634

EDIT:
I assume it's a legit version, as it's officially being linked by a game-dev here: http://forum.runaway-thegame.com/viewtopic.php?p=34976#p34976
« Last Edit: 14. March 2013, 17:01:20 by Elbart »
6648e3a006959
Changelog:
Code: [Select]
Changes and fixes for v2.41
---------------------------

General:
 - fixed sky (non-)rendering bug when texture palette contained more than 246 textures
 - fixed crash when using movie_disable/fm_movie_disable/movie_crop_exclude/fm_movie_crop_exclude config vars
 - fixed bug with game dir write access test (gave false positives if game directory was assigned a custom icon in Windows)
 - fixed issue with garbled HUD text on some older video cards
 - fixed rare crash when using HUD buttons to change ammo type or reload
 - fixed issue with crouching on crates
 - fixed alpha calculation bug on scaled bitmap particles
 - fixed bug with pendulum tweq stopping for angles larger than 32 degrees
 - fixed issue with duplicate receptrons when added by a DML file
 - fixed bug with force_ani_settings material flag not having any effect
 - fixed crash when Corona property has no texture name specified
 - fixed crash bug with "ForceCameraOverlayNormal" config var
 - fixed song sound load failure if other format than in specified song file (i.e. if file is ogg but song file has wav)
 - fixed crash when song sound file was not found
 - fixed bug with display device selection on multi-device systems (probably picked the opposite device than the default/selected)
 - fixed occasional crash related to 4096 sized textures
 - fixed walk forward bind in options menu, in patch_ext.crf, so walk speed is normal (requires re-bind to take effect)
 - changed so horizontal and vertical mouse sensitivity is equal when "mouse_sensitivity_y_scale" is 1
 - added "mouse_sensitivity_use_aspect" bind var to enable old behavior where horizontal/vertical mouse sensitivity differ based on resolution aspect ratio
 - added support for RLE compressed BMP images (RLE4/RLE8)
 - added localization support to FMSel (so FMSel UI can be translated)
 - added FM language support to game and updated FMSel to make use of it
 - added support for the original indeo5 codec (ir50_32.dll), may improve movie playback on slower CPUs
 - added option to use enhanced ray trace for AI body/suspicious obj detection ("enhanced_aidetect_trace")

DromEd:
 - fixed rare mono console related bug that caused editor to hang (was remedied by enabling monolog, no longer necessary)
 - fixed/changed angle parameters in Gun->"AI Gun Description", Gun->"Player Gun Description" and Gun->"Kickback" properties (IMPORTANT: any exsiting DML files with these params will need to be updated to specify values in degrees)
 - fixed a less common crash when compiling rooms, caused by newly created room brushes that were excluded from compile usually by a me-only area brush (crash was preceded by a "Attempt to get room 0 of 0" assert)
 - fixed crash bug when selecting sky surface if texture palette contains more than 246 textures and editor is using software rendering
 - fixed a couple of crash bugs related to editing the Creature Type property
 - fixed bug where loading a stripped mission could result in wrong texture assignments on terrain surfaces
 - fixed bug in reconstruct_rooms that it assigned default room instead of reconstructing the original room types
 - fixed crash that could occur during extensive UV editing when running editor with HW rendering
 - fixed so creating a new stimulus archetype doesn't require editor restart for propagators to work
 - fixed sunlight object shadow bug
 - fixed crash that under certain circumstances could occur during UV align editing
 - fixed crash when loading file at editor startup through "file" config var
 - fixed crash with Scaled bitmap particles when invalid bitmap and added mono warnings
 - fixed issue with precision select and tiny point sized brushes
 - fixed issue with uvmap_cylinder when using non-symmetric textures and rot 90 (and allowed it to be used on pyramid brushes)
 - fixed prim_special command to only allow setting valid types, to prevent more or less obvious bad things from happening (even if it appeared to work in previous versions, it could cause memory overwrites which are very bad)
 - added prim_cylinder/pyramid/cpyramid commands for quick type set and sides
 - added proper support for negative Extra Light property again (worked in T1 but was removed after)
 - added "Use Model 5" flag for random model tweqs, so randomization includes Model 5 (2.4 falsely always included it, which could break existing content)
 - added support for "Bitmap disk" particles to use the default disk texture if no bitmap name is specified
 - added support for mission (and location) defined env maps
 - added viewport bg image support
 - added lg.ini option to enable word wrapping for Editor Comments property
 - added "default_tx_scale" config var for user defined default brush texture scale
 - added option to show texture index in texture palette
 - added hilight brushes using texture command to texture palette context menu
 - added support for user configurable precision of sdesc formatted floats ("sdesc_decimals")
 - added extended option for sunlight to allow all shadowed/unshadowed quad/non-quad combinations
 - added config option "show_world_limits" to draw world limits in 2D viewports (line color can be changed with "edit_color_grid_lim")
 - increased max length for "bitmap\" images (with ani frames) from 6 to 28
 - changed room building so room brushes with invalid room types still get used, with the default room type, instead of being ignored

(No changes to multiplayer.)
6648e3a006bce
I've added the new patch releases to the first post, straight from the release post on ariane4ever.free.fr.

Apparently there's a newer version of OpenAL
I'm aware of this and the new OpenAL files are already part of the next SS2Tool 5.1.

6648e3a006c62Drowning witch

6648e3a006caf
will installing patch 2.41 invalidate my save file?
thx in advance.

Your name:
This box must be left blank:

An evil mega-corporation with 3 branches:
1 Guest is here.
It is absurdly, impossibly cool.
Contact SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2016, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies
FEEP
6648e3a006da7