6647daad5cd84

6647daad5d8c8
1 Guest is here.

Topic: Far Cry Source Code Leak Read 823 times  

6647daad5deacicemann

6647daad5df2b
Another source code leak, this time for Far Cry.
Kotaku article:
https://www.kotaku.com.au/2023/07/near-compete-far-cry-source-code-leaks-online/

New sourceports on the horizon?
« Last Edit: 03. July 2023, 10:13:54 by icemann »

6647daad5e0b0voodoo47

Re: Farcry Source Code Leak
6647daad5e108
I wouldn't mind.
Acknowledged by: icemann
6647daad5e3f4
I don't know, source ports don't seem as common as they were a couple of decades back. I mean, when System Shock's source code was released, I thought it would have been fan-ported to the original XBox and Dreamcast, and maybe the PS2, but sadly not. The source code for three unofficial reverse engineered PC game engines that run the classic first person shooter Blood (BuildGDX, NBlood, Raze) are available, but I don't know of any of these being ported to other systems.

On a tangent, Far Cry is one of the few times where the console version is better than the PC version, I think. The console version (for the original XBox, and called Far Cry: Instincts) is less open world, so more linear (which is better or worse, depending on your view), but is better planned out (I think), doesn't have the infuriating enemies that the PC game throws at you in the second half of the game, the console version's enjoyment factor doesn't drop massively in the second half (which happens in the PC version largely because of those enemies), and in the console version half-way through the game you gain 'feral' abilities, such as super running speed, one hit kill attacks, super strength (allowing you to rip a turret gun from it's stand and take it with you, though you're then limited to it's current amount of bullets since you can't reload a turret gun), animal version (you can see in the dark, and enemies and their trails (where they have been) are visible, etc.

6647daad5e7eaPacmikey

6647daad5e86b
JDoranYou should play the actual console version, Far Cry Classic. Enhances the graphics and rebalances a lot of bullshit from the PC version.

6647daad5ee7esarge945

6647daad5eedd
I don't know, source ports don't seem as common as they were a couple of decades back. I mean, when System Shock's source code was released, I thought it would have been fan-ported to the original XBox and Dreamcast, and maybe the PS2, but sadly not. The source code for three unofficial reverse engineered PC game engines that run the classic first person shooter Blood (BuildGDX, NBlood, Raze) are available, but I don't know of any of these being ported to other systems.

Usually for source ports, unless a company picks them up and does a specific console release, they are usually PC only and open source. There's been a decent number of ports like this done over the last few years, it's definitely still ongoing.

But SS1 in particular is a game where a console source port would likely be a lot of work because of the control scheme. Even if they used SS2 style controls, that's still not particularly great on a controller.

A lot of rereleases of older games (especially on consoles) are done as easy cash grabs (just look at Dark Souls Remastered), and having to redo a control scheme from scratch doesn't really make porting SS1 viable for the cheap cash, and at that point you might as well release a different game (or the remake, which is getting the console version soon)

6647daad5f056Nameless Voice

6647daad5f0ac
It's been a long time, but the crushingly brutal difficulty of the second half was one of the few things I remember about the game.  Why would you want to remove that?

It felt a real achievement to complete each section.
6647daad5fa64
JDoranYou should play the actual console version, Far Cry Classic. Enhances the graphics and rebalances a lot of bullshit from the PC version.
I didn't know that, I just assumed it would be a cheap, 1:1-ish port. I've just googled it, and you're right, there have been considerable adjustments to the gameplay balance (https://farcry.fandom.com/wiki/Far_Cry_Classic).

I will give the XBox 360 version a go, thanks.

Usually for source ports, unless a company picks them up and does a specific console release, they are usually PC only and open source. There's been a decent number of ports like this done over the last few years, it's definitely still ongoing.

Yes, but I'm talking about fan-made ports, where the source code is available to the public, and fans of a machine, such as an original XBox, the Dreamcast, the Sony PSP, etc. On the original XBox, for example, there are fan-made ports of commercial games that have had their source code released, including Doom 1 and 2, Duke Nukem 3D, Shadow Warrior 3D, Quake 1 and 2, Descent 1 and 2, Alien v. Predator, and also of freeware games, such as Cave Story, L'Abbaye des morts, Super Mario War, etc.

But SS1 in particular is a game where a console source port would likely be a lot of work because of the control scheme. Even if they used SS2 style controls, that's still not particularly great on a controller.

Of course, but sufficiently motivated fans would at least attempt a good controller set up for the game.

It's been a long time, but the crushingly brutal difficulty of the second half was one of the few things I remember about the game.  Why would you want to remove that?

It felt a real achievement to complete each section.

I just didn't find it enjoyable. When a game becomes a chore, then I tend to really lose interest.

Your name:
This box must be left blank:

Look at you, hacker: a pathetic creature of ____ and bone!  (Fill in the missing word):
1 Guest is here.
Dieses Journal ist endgültig gelöscht worden
Contact SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2016, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies
FEEP
6647daad5fbbc