1 Guest is here.
6647f2c283dcb
voodoo47Quote
god of games?
6647f2c2840e5
Join2Quote

Quote by voodoo47:
god of games?
They have yet to get VTM:B on there, so not quite. God of PC games only too, they'd need some specific console masterpieces to truly be the god of games  :thumb:
6647f2c2844a9
redrain85Quote

Quote by ZylonBane:
Interesting how in the RPS interview nobody mentions NewDark. The guy kind of sounds like he's blowing smoke about his own fix-up efforts.
Agreed.  In the RPS interview, they asked the GOG rep twice for details about what was done to the code.  He was, I felt, deliberately vague with his answers.  If they didn't use DDFix (though, a possibility) or NewDark (very unlikely), then they've simply done the minimum to get SS2 running on modern systems.  Night Dive/GOG probably didn't accomplish anything remarkable.

At least the interview confirms existing mods will work with the GOG release.  Which is good news.  So that should mean NewDark can be used with it.  (My main concern was that they might change the format the game assets are stored in.  Though, I admit it was a pretty unlikely possibility.)

I'll be grabbing this release, despite having a boxed copy.  I'd like to get those extras.  Plus, supporting this means more System Shock in the future, in whatever form it takes.  Be it SS1, or something new.

Interesting how this upstart managed to blindside GOG.  The only way I can see Night Dive succeeding, where everyone else failed, is because Kick or another person involved must have close ties with someone at EA or Meadowbrook.  I mean, this guy literally came out of nowhere - with no programming experience, only modeling skills - and somehow managed to secure the rights to System Shock.  Someone called in a personal favour.
6647f2c284733
MarvinQuote
Gaining access to the licence for a limited digital release might have included access to the source code as well. We'll be smarter tomorrow.
6647f2c28485f
ZylonBaneQuote
I very, VERY much doubt this release won't be mod-compatible with vanilla SS2. People would be howling for GOG's blood if that were the case. Pretty much every discussion I've seen has several people mentioning SS2Tool, Rebirth, SHTUP, SHMUP, etc.

Legal stuff

Privacy Policy & Terms of Service Contact