6646f4dfc1585

6646f4dfc1aa8
1 Guest is here.

Topic: Space Paranoids Read 675 times  

6646f4dfc2380
Space Paranoids is a first-person shooter arcade game appearing and featured in the 1982 movie Tron. According to the plot, it was created by Kevin Flynn but the code was stolen and released by ENCOM and the villain Ed Dillinger. In the movie Flynn is seen playing the game in his arcade.
Several years ago I followed the development blog of a guy named Estil Vance who had set out to create this game. He planned to build a cabinet to run the game in for that authentic arcade feeling. But he built the game on Windows. I managed to get a beta version back then which was promising but not quite there yet. Then I lost track of the project for a while and when I checked again Estil's website had vanished and with it his Space Paranoids.

At some point my old beta version also stopped working due to a directX error (missing d3drm.dll), but I kept it around anyway.

Yesterday I found my the beta again and managed to get past the bug. But more importantly I found a newer version on a Czech free games website.  In this version there is a very helpful minimap and some bugs fixed.

A few notes on playing
The game is meant to run in a cabinet so credits must be present to start. Press 5 to insert coins for credits and 1 to start the game.
Arrow keys control the tank. Space bar fires. A D W S control the turret rotation and angle. X aligns the turret with the body of the tank (i.e.points it straight ahead).
The included original readme file is not accurate in this, because it refers to an older version.

There is a DisplayRes.EXE included to set the game's resolution, but don't go too wild with that. At resolutions above 1920x1080 you lose the proximity indicator in the game and get some display bugs.

6646f4dfc2554ZylonBane

6646f4dfc25ac
Spoiler: Space Paranoids is played on the ground, not in space.
6646f4dfc26be
Well it might refer to claustrophobia. Seeing as you're being hunted to death in a maze of tall walls. Or it's just a cool sounding scifi name.

6646f4dfc299fRocketMan

6646f4dfc29fa
Now all I gotta do is rip off my bike handlebars and wire them up to the arrow keys and I'm good to go

Your name:
This box must be left blank:

____ at you, hacker: a pathetic creature of meat and bone!  (Fill in the missing word):
1 Guest is here.
free yourself from this golden threads
Contact SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2016, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies
FEEP
6646f4dfc2b21