📌 SS1src: Modding Tools: InkyBlackness

2 Guests are here.
664872d420cd4
dertsehaQuote
Version 0.11.0 has been released. After a series of small updates to the 0.10 release, this one now adds two features: Block puzzle editing, and a better save system.

With this release it's a feature-freeze for the soon-to-be-released version 1.0.0 . Until then it's only about small details.
I know some editing capabilities are not available (most prominent example is the import of cutscenes & v-mails), yet I want to have a major release number out to see whether there is any serious interest & actual "project" for creating mods. And if there is, then we'll see what else is required.
It's similar with the ss-specs document: Although there are still some bytes of interest to be deciphered, the necessity of their documentation is probably small. I suspect it'll be easier to simply wait for the original source to be made public, from which then all can be answered.

Expect version 1.0.0 in the week of our meeting :)
Acknowledged by: fascinate4
664872d420f2a
dertsehaQuote
Woo! Anticlimactic excitement! Version 1.0.0 is out and I don't feel that much different.  :P

Where to go from here? I'll make some posts in a few communities, yet I don't expect the huge influx on mods that are going to be created (not even thinking of immediate requests for further editor enhancements).
After spending so many years on working on these age-old resources, I'll see what I will do next. Probably take a short breather.
In some form or another I'll most likely work again on this stuff - but more likely in private, less about a public goal. After all: My initial pitch for the project was to have something for tinkering and testing. Yet I also can't deny the public value this has gathered.
Most likely, when (if) Nightdive Studios release the original source (with perhaps the editor), then there will be a new, major influx of work :)

But apart from that melancholy, having a proper release out is sort of an age-old closure for me as well - Especially after the previous unfinished attempts, years ago.
664872d4210b3
voodoo47Quote
wooo, I've got a new toy to play with - don't expect anything useful anytime soon though, I'm slow with these things.

one way or another, thank you for your work, and hope you'll stick around until the SS1 source code is available.
Acknowledged by: dertseha
664872d421209
dertsehaQuote
Version 1.1.0 is out, adding a new tool.

As referred to in another thread, the current version (at the time of writing) of "System Shock Enhanced Edition" starts every new game with the same static code for the reactor - or for other purposes of any future fan-mission.

While I'm also thinking about creating a new archive.dat file (which generates a random code on its own), this tool, called "reactor-rng" now gives people with already started games the ability to randomize the code after the fact.

Furthermore this release contains a few minor fixese of the tool "chunkie", contributed by another GitHub user. Details in the release notes.
Acknowledged by: voodoo47
664872d421390
icemannQuote
I wonder why Night Dive chose to do that. Seems like a stupid design decision to me. Doesn't exactly fit the "enhanced" label.

"Hey the reactor code changes on every play through"
"That's just dumb and too hard on players. Even though we didn't make the game ourselves, we should change this"

Another day in the life of Night Dive.

Legal stuff

Privacy Policy & Terms of Service Contact