Citadel - System Shock Fan Remake

6 Guests are here.
6647c202860e5
JosiahJackQuote
your game seems to be using the Source engine
Nope.  It's the Quake engine.  Specifically, DarkPlaces.  The similarities between Source and Quake are numerous due to the fact that the Source engine is based on the Quake engine.  See: http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/6/63/Quake_-_family_tree.svg/640px-Quake_-_family_tree.svg.png

I'm curious as to what your findings were on this.
EA no longer holds the copyright.

Unlike SSP there's real money in a possible remake.
My market research (if you can call it that) as of yet doesn't support this claim.  There isn't any financial plan for Citadel anyways.  I hope I didn't give that impression in my previous post.
6647c20286443
ZygoQuote

Quote by Ndrake:
I'm curious as to what your findings were on this.

You can easily check USPTO and the copyright DB for games' information. TLDR is that EA (Origin) held copyright on SS1 until 1994, the CD version was LGT (later LGS; via transferral, probably thanks to Warren Spector) then Star Insurance (along with the FUs) claimed it from 2010. The trademark was EA's but lapsed and the current filing is Meadowbrook's from 2011, though it is still provisional according to its listing. Short story is that Meadowbrook/ Star own everything, so far as can be determined.
6647c202867aa
NdrakeQuote
Interesting thanks.
So do I get this right everything that would be required to make an official reboot/sequel is split between two unaffiliated insurance companies?
And can we assume that copyright/trademark are just filed away somewhere and no one working for them really knows if these are assets worth protecting?

Quote by JosiahJack:
My market research (if you can call it that) as of yet doesn't support this claim.  There isn't any financial plan for Citadel anyways.  I hope I didn't give that impression in my previous post.
Yeah I didn't mean to imply  that this was your plan. I was thinking more along the lines of that the subtle difference between the "System Shock" and say the "Tomb Raider" franchise might be lost on some insurance lawyer. Someone might get the idea of "cashing in" on "System Shock" AAA-style and therefore feel the need to kill your project.
6647c20286953
JosiahJackQuote
Yes the current trademark / copyright holder is an insurance company...most important though is that they are both owned by Meadowbrook Insurance Group.  Since this project is not named "System Shock", but rather "Citadel", then I believe this project is safe from legal action.

Legal
========
No claim is made to the right to use “System Shock”.  "System Shock" is the property of the respective rightsholder and any use thereof is in reference.

System Shock Portable is the project I would worry about if I were you.

Anyways, on to more cheerful things. In other news, progress continues and the medical level is shaping up quite nicely with roughly 80% of the level geometry blocked in.  Code for the weapon system is making progress too.  Weapon cycling is in the works though will be mapped to different keys than TAB.  TAB is reserved for inventory mode. The inventory is toggled like in SS2, or SS1 with the mouselook mod.
6647c20286a3c
CarrotQuote
This is very interesting, I wish you the best of luck!

Just out of curiousity: are you using, or considering using, Hank's map importer?  It seems like even if it was still a work in progress that it could save you some time overall.

Legal stuff

Privacy Policy & Terms of Service Contact