Citadel - System Shock Fan Remake

1 Guest is here.
6647c869e6db4
Join2Quote
Good luck, Josiah Jack. Try not to lose your sanity.

If there's money involved I want in. Modding/making highly complex games without pay is for crazy people. However, I doubt this will be the case, there will be no money.

Keep that passion burning, and I hope you find people to help out.

I must admit I'm disappointed with the engine choice, I mean there's not much evolution from 1994-1996 at all, but I do recognize you're using a modified version of the engine.
6647c869e6ff5
voodoo47Quote
that's why I'm saying, requiring the original datafiles is always a good idea - generally, a piece of software that allows the owners of the original game to play it better is left alone (source ports of old games, but also TFix, TafferPatcher and similar), while fan remakes of popular games are a frequent target of C&D letters (System Shock Rebooted, Chrono Resurrection, can't remember more off the top of my head, but pretty sure there are plenty). there are exceptions (Open General), but they are few and far between, and usually only exist because the rights owner is very, very dead (SSI, may you rest in peace).

and of course, if they decide they really, really want to toast your project, then they will, because in this world, the more money you have, the more right you are.

and about DPQuake - if I remember correctly, the engine is well understood, multiplatform, open source, and easy on hardware, so if it supports everything required to get all the gears of Citadel station turning again, I really see no problem.
Acknowledged by: Ndrake
6647c869e721d
JudicatorQuote
DarkPLaces is powerful and feature rich guys.
If you don't know it take a look here: 

http://icculus.org/twilight/darkplaces/readme.html#GraphicsFeatures
http://icculus.org/twilight/darkplaces/screenshots.html

LordHavoc still keeps improving it and the Quake community is huge and generally full of helpful people.
Honestly I'm happy with DP, I have Quake + DarkPlaces installed from years and every now and then I fire it up and enjoy some old time FPS fragging.
The game is gorgeus and higly tweakable if you want to use high res textures and new models a beefy PC is needed.
6647c869e736d
ZylonBaneQuote
One of the more challenging aspects of remaking SS1 would be coding all the UI screens, and doing it in a resolution-independent manner. More modern engines, like Source, have native support for that sort of thing.
6647c869e746f
Valet2Quote
I think this legal shit is not we should worry about. You can just make a re-make without using names Shodan, Citadel, and with some FourOp logo, and when the work is done, release "unofficial, just found it on the web" patch to restore the names and logos.

The more important is to make that damn remake. Because there were many, many of them since I remember myself. And nothing has gone beyond the first level geometry.

Legal stuff

Privacy Policy & Terms of Service Contact