66401bc989aaa

66401bc98a008
1 Guest is here.

66401bc98a7fbvoodoo47

66401bc98a878
ok - joints in slightly different positions, and model offset 0.08 down, which doesn't seem like much, but I don't know, Dark can be finicky about these things. also, the fist not completely closed off. so not there just yet.
[fisthole.jpg expired]
[jointoff.jpg expired]

66401bc98ac32RocketMan

66401bc98ac96
I don't see that polygon in my model.  Is it possible that the "invisible" pipe is clipping that portion away?  Also does that polygon remain the same as the enemy moves and deforms?  If the pipe is somehow moving relative to the main body then the polygon would change size/shape with movement and I would have to re-join the entity.

Joints, etc. have to be re-instituted every time so I try to use the Thief Garrett model to do this but I don't know if it can ever be a spot on match. 
« Last Edit: 28. March 2021, 19:21:17 by RocketMan »

66401bc98adbfvoodoo47

66401bc98ae1b
well, hard for me to tell - I've made the pipe texture invisible, and that's how the fist looks like.

I'm starting to think this may be more trouble than it's worth - the reskinned sg hybrid model works fairly well, so feel free to take/not take another shot at this..

66401bc98aee9RocketMan

66401bc98af3e
Any better?  I attached the pipe again and moved the model up.
[grunt_p.bin expired]
[grunt_p.cal expired]

66401bc98b044voodoo47

66401bc98b097
not really (new model on the right, still a bit too low, joints still off, fist still has holes). yeah, I'm thinking this is probably not possible/worth it. funny how the sg hybrid turned out almost perfect with no special effort (or so it seemed) required, but this one is just not budging.
[stilloff.jpg expired]

66401bc98b1d7RocketMan

66401bc98b22b
That's odd.  I move the model up in max and it goes down in shocked.  I guess I need to push it down to have the desired effect.

I can try to just remodel the entire pipe and retexture it (how hard can it be to UV map a pipe).  I know you say don't bother so let's compromise and say I'm not on any fixed timeline.  When I get to it I'll try it out.

EDIT: Wait, is the left model my previous attempt or vanilla?  Did my 2nd attempt actually lower the model from my first attempt?  I need to know if I adjusted in the right direction.

66401bc98b2f4voodoo47

66401bc98b34d
left is vanilla. the vertical offset is pretty much the same, maybe a tiny bit better (I think it's 0.07 now, but I'm kind of eyeballing it).
« Last Edit: 28. March 2021, 21:17:52 by voodoo47 »

66401bc98b4fcZylonBane

66401bc98b55c
Olfred, when you have a chance, this UNN banner model needs the front and back UV mapping cleaned up, and the sides need to be set to just use the black texture.
[banner.zip expired]

66401bc98b772ZylonBane

66401bc98b7bf
Okay I see what happened. I was making a modified version of the texture for the vertically scaled UNN banners in station.mis, so the text  and stars wouldn't appear distorted. But I forgot we were using a fixed model, so I grabbed the original.

I've tested again with the fixed model, and everything looks okay. The fixed model could still use a little cleanup -- the UV mapping is a bit off and the top of the banner is backwards on one side -- but Olfred, consider this request the lowest of low priorities. More of a "nice to have" than anything essential.

66401bc98b909ZylonBane

66401bc98b958
@Olfred, added requests to fix a couple of Many objects to the first post.

nerveU.bin - U-Shaped Nerve (-3437) [One of the dendrites floating away from the nerve]
vein.bin - Vein (-3133) [Sloppy cylinder intersection]

The nerve dendrite might need to be tilted a bit when pushing it into the nerve to prevent its end tips from intersecting the nerve. That's fine, their precise position is never critical in the BotM map.
[Many bits.7z expired]

66401bc98bb03ZylonBane

66401bc98bb4f
That was an attempt at an SCP version of the nerves with (partially) 3D-modeled dendrites. I ended up not pursuing that approach once I realized that making them higher-res just emphasized how ridiculously low-detail they were.
Acknowledged by: voodoo47
66401bc98beb4
So all my work and love are going to waste?

I'm quite busy with life right now, might take a while to address this and the banner.

66401bc98bf59voodoo47

66401bc98bfa7
I have to admit the previously updated dendrites were pretty good, I think all they needed was a little touch on the textures.
66401bc98c0b2
Yeah I'm not much of a texture guy to be honest.
But I think I already mentioned that a couple of times.
I really would like to get more into procedual generation of textures. But I just can't find the time to really dig into it. That what's on the dendrites was my attempt at it.

66401bc98c3adZylonBane

66401bc98c43c
I'm quite busy with life right now, might take a while to address this and the banner.
Nothing urgent to do on the banner. I was just using the wrong model at first.

So all my work and love are going to waste?
ALL of it? No. Barely any of it really. But iteration is an annoying fact of life with these sort of things. I've thrown out days of my own work on SHTUP over the years. For what it's worth, my current request isn't SHTUP-specific. It's really a Fixed Models request that also happens to benefit SHTUP.

This is the look I finally settled on for SHTUP's Many nerves. Figuring out the material setup for this effect was... interesting.
66401bc98c58c
No hard feelings. I was more or less joking.

Looks good.
I could make it a bit smoother if requested. (Like more round)

66401bc98c6ddZylonBane

66401bc98c732
I would like to state for the record that the top half of the replicator model is one of the most awful modeling jobs in the entire game. I just recreated a high-res texture for it, and it actually looks worse now that you can see how sloppy the UV mapping is. The model itself is asymmetrical in places it clearly isn't supposed to be, and has weird concave bits. Just... ugh.
66401bc98c85d
Once I have a bit more time on my hand I could make a better one.
But wasn't the replicator model just a rip from the level geometry?

66401bc98c91fZylonBane

66401bc98c975
I'm talking about the original Irrational model, repframe.bin. It's the front control panel and the frame for the top screen.
66401bc98caab
Oh I see.
I can't check right now but I'll take a look once I get home.
But bad modeling and especially bad UV mapping is pretty common among the models. I try to fix minor things when I come across them.

66401bc98ccf0ZylonBane

66401bc98cd47
You're welcome to try, but I wouldn't recommended it unless you have a lot of time to kill. The geometry is strangely wrinkled in the center region, where the frame joins the control panel. And the texture mapping for the frame is so messed up that the only way to properly fix it would be to unwrap it and create a new texture. The way it is now, it's as if the texture was originally created to be used on a flat surface, but then someone else decided to make it 3D.

If you'd like to take on something quicker, there is a desk model that needs some minor tweaking. It's desk_sd.bin:

Three issues with this guy:
- The left and right of the desktop are mapped at slightly different sizes, so they don't align where they meet.
- The left and right of the desktop aren't symmetrical, so the white stripe on the right gets cut off.
- The light on the desk drawer isn't set to self-illuminate.

Uses FLD04.PCX, CONSSCRN.PCX, and GREEN_.PCX.

And if you're up for something slightly more challenging than that, I need a last bit of work done on the HD toilet model. I finally made a completed set of textures for that thing. Now all I need to make it SCP-compatible is that model where everything except the handle is deleted, but without changing the centerpoint, so it appears to remain attached to the wall. The last archive you sent me on this was toiletHD v2.zip. Do you still have all those files?
66401bc98cee1
I did some additional tweaks to the desk_sd
Also there is no need to list the textures, except you want the model to use different ones. Listing the -number id from ShockEd helps me testing the model and is helpful.

The biggest challenge was to find the location I saved the files for the toilet. If I understood you correctly this should be it.

I peeked a look at the repframe.bin and I get where you are coming from. If you want I can adjust the UV map to something more workable and toss it into the object fixes.
Or I change the geometry a bit and you add it in as a shtup only model.

Your name:
This box must be left blank:

System Shock 2 takes place on the star ship named ...:
1 Guest is here.
I hope this doesn't affect my White House petition to bring back "She's the Sheriff".
Contact SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2016, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies
FEEP
66401bc98d071