66401461b0338

66401461b08ef
2 Guests are here.

66401461b11aa
Well it's up to ZylonBane then if I should further work into them or not, as he already has some for SHTUP.

I think the Vodka bottle is supposed to be one where the whole bottom ins covered in label.
You know, this plastic shrinkwrap, some bottles exist with them.
I could change it if it's really desired.

66401461b13b3voodoo47

66401461b140f
it looks bad, and is inconsistent with the rest of the bottles. my vote is for the cleanup. also, edited my previous post.

hey ZB, I think the oversized bounding boxes are the reason why some objects look so tiny in the 3d inventory window - the bigger the bounding box, the tinier the object gets. the fixed highsec crate is quite a bit bigger, as the bounding box is smaller.

//edit: just noticed a bit of a strange bluish lighting on the opened lid, new model on left, old one on the right;
« Last Edit: 05. June 2014, 21:23:04 by voodoo47 »

66401461b17b0ZylonBane

66401461b1807
hey ZB, I think the oversized bounding boxes are the reason why some objects look so tiny in the 3d inventory window - the bigger the bounding box, the tinier the object gets.
Remember that when the same model is used for both a container and an inventory object, there's still a significant size difference.
Acknowledged by: voodoo47
66401461b190f
My guess, it's coming from the blue light. Coupled with the strange way the dark engine handles lighting one shouldn't be all to surprised.
Try to place it somewhere else, it shouldn't be blue anymore.

66401461b19bfvoodoo47

66401461b1a0a
correct about the blue, but the shading is still slightly off - the lighting is smooth on the orig model, as seen on the right. this is very, very minor though, not really noticeable unless you have both models placed right next to each other.
66401461b1afd
That's something only nemyax could answer you. He just knows more about the inard of the lighting.
Also I tweaked the lid a bit, could be that it moved a tidbit more now and therefore they don't receive the exact same lighting.

66401461b1ba8ZylonBane

66401461b1bfa
I would ask that any SHTUP-grade enhanced objects not be thrown into the mix right now. Not because they aren't wanted and appreciated, but because I get sidetracked really easily, and I'm trying to focus on pushing SCP into a beta-releasable state.

66401461b1cc0voodoo47

66401461b1d0b
the current public release does not contain any such objects (the few fixed SHTUP models are available as a separate download in the SHTUP topic), and there are no plans to include them in any future release - Olfred's fixed objects are always going to be, well, just fixed objects.

one thing I keep forgetting to ask - the new env regulator unit; is this one SHTUP only or ok to use with vanilla as well?
66401461b1e24
I would go with including it into the SCP
I only modified the original model and used only original art for it keeping the overall appearance the same.
Just changed the metal rod they had there with the real model you pick up earlier.

Once the SCP is out and there is no fixing to be done anymore I would happily jump over to SHTUP or a new mod to redo the original models in higher quality.
66401461b1f5c
Here is a zip with the new botlevo.bin and hackcrat.bin
The highsec.bin in there is the same as highsecb.bin from the bounding box test package. Just put it in there for easier linking.

I will be away from my working PC for about a week. Which means I won't have access to my files.
So anything which pops up now will be handled at a later time.
I'm still going to check this site regulary, so I'm open for questions and the like.

66401461b2202ZylonBane

66401461b225c
one thing I keep forgetting to ask - the new env regulator unit; is this one SHTUP only or ok to use with vanilla as well?
I was just thinking about that. The original environmental regulator models aren't bad, there's just some minor texture shifting when it switches between models. I think that's why I originally asked Olfred to look at it, but then it went beyond mere fixing to some very nice improvements. So in its current state I'd call it an enhanced model.

I know, it's a fine line we're treading here...

SCP
^
|
fixed models
---------------------------------
enhanced models
|
v
SHTUP

66401461b23a5voodoo47

66401461b23fe
well yes, but the enhancement, if I remember correctly, is just that stub that used to represent the inserted toxin canister has been replaced with a proper canister. so, while being enhanced in comparison to the orig model, the enhancement only makes it look like it always should have looked.

so, flip a coin?

//the fixed orig vodka model looks like it has no bottom now. there should be a piece of glass sticking out to prevent this (just like the rest of the bottles).

//hackcrat flawless as far as I can see, even the lighting (and that one texture inside the lid is not inverted anymore, yaay). as soon as we have a final decision on the regulator, v07 should be a wrap.

[no_bottom.jpg expired]
« Last Edit: 06. June 2014, 17:08:22 by voodoo47 »

66401461b250dZylonBane

66401461b2562
Looks like the model is missing smooth shading. Also the original model screwed up the label placement. It should look like this.

Fun fact: Baker's Whiskey hasn't used that label for years. I guess we can assume that in the future of SS2 retro labeling became cool again.

I'd be fine going either way on the env regulator. Maybe when Olfred gets back we could persuade him to make a version of the activated model that only fixes the texture jumping.

66401461b2691voodoo47

66401461b26f0
no, the shading is ok, this is just the 400 mod applying some shiny cubemap effect - unnecessarily I might add, will need to talk to ACC about that (beakers and prisms also receive this, and it looks odd as well).

ok then, I'll throw the regulator model into the 07 release. we can replace it later, should we decide to do so.
« Last Edit: 06. June 2014, 22:12:52 by voodoo47 »

66401461b2801voodoo47

66401461b285e
now I remember - the fixed recirculator model has the "environmental regulator" texture mapped properly, so it will not show up with SHTUP installed, as SHTUP has it offset to compensate for the mapping error on the old model. ZB has mentioned that SHTUP_ND will compensate for this if I remember correctly, but until it's out, the fixed recirculator models are not fully compatible with SHTUP.

so, include them in fixed objects 07 or not?
66401461b2c12
well you could include them, they won't do any harm.
Either they work when you put your priority over SHTUP, or they simply don't.

The fixed models are meant for SCP anyway and not really for a standalone, so I wouldn't bother too much about the standalone release of them.

Also the original model screwed up the label placement. It should look like this.
They put a whisky label on a vodka bottle. The placement of the label is my smallest concern.
Putting the label in a right way and everything is something I would do on an enhanced model.
(The bottels I made previously were also just some quick things. If I would do something for an enhanced mod I would make much better models (which in return would need additional textures))

66401461b3e71ZylonBane

66401461b3ec4
Noticed another genuinely screwed-up model, locker.bin. This is the small locker object. The surface normals of the main face seem to be wrong, so that it's not lit when directly facing a light.

[locker.jpg expired]
66401461b3fd5
For some reason they made a bigger Bounding Box for the model than it needs.
As I don't see why they did it I created two versions of the model. lockerb.bin is with a smaller more fitting bounding box. So you can take whichever one is more fitting.

66401461b408fvoodoo47

66401461b40de
looking good - and just in time for 07. the b variant looks better.

66401461b41a3ZylonBane

66401461b41f1
Thanks, does light much better now. Personally I'd go with the non-"b" model with the original bounding box, just to keep life simpler. I believe the reason for the strange bounding box is to move the object's center point so it can be embedded neck-deep in terrain while still being rendered. Every version of this object I've seen placed in-game has the collision box manually set anyway.

66401461b429cvoodoo47

66401461b42e9
liked the b version's bounding box better so it's in 07 for now, but it can be swapped if necessary. just to make sure we are talking about the same thing - this is just the bracket box, nothing to do with physics or anything (as far as I see/understand).
« Last Edit: 07. June 2014, 20:49:55 by voodoo47 »
66401461b43e6
Yes, dimensions are still like the old model.
If there is no special exception I will try to make the model keep the same dimension as the old ones.

I've seen you put the conduit parts into the v7 of the fixed models. Have they been tested now?
« Last Edit: 07. June 2014, 21:13:48 by Olfred »

66401461b446dvoodoo47

66401461b44bb
had a quick look, and found nothing wrong.

Your name:
This box must be left blank:

System Shock 2 takes place on the star ship named ...:
2 Guests are here.
I hope this doesn't affect my White House petition to bring back "She's the Sheriff".
Contact SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2016, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies
FEEP
66401461b4995