663f0618e8f83

663f0618e9507
1 Guest is here.

663f0618e9dc1
I can understand the box part, but why do you want to have the same UV space on all sides of the pipe?. The way it is in the current fixed model you can even apply shadowy parts.

About the basket. Since the original texture for the net was messy I made a new one (based of the old one). Which is inluded.
Then I made a model for the original texture with a lit number (basket_l.bin). It's up to you to devide which one you want to incorporate into SCP.

For the SHTUP model I tweaked around with the net a bit to make it look more seamingless.

Oh yeah, and I modeled a ring for both on par with the broken model.

663f0618ea15eZylonBane

663f0618ea1c3
I can understand the box part, but why do you want to have the same UV space on all sides of the pipe?. The way it is in the current fixed model you can even apply shadowy parts.
I'm not sure what you're asking or what you mean by shadowy parts. I just want it to look like the original does when viewed from a distance, without looking horrible when viewed close up. So, light grey rings running around the length of the pipes. The face I highlighted is one of the few where the modeler textured it correctly, instead of the insane repetition used on the other faces. That's what I meant by "like this".
663f0618ea30d
Oh, ok. I opened up the original model and did a comparison between your texture and the original one. And even though your texture is like 90° turned in opposite to the original one, they still turn out to look the same.
As the whole UV map was messed up I decided to turn it into a straight pipe, like you can see it now on the "olfred version".

So how should I make the non SHTUP version now?

663f0618ea3dfZylonBane

663f0618ea42e
Like above. SHTUP version will not be different. The goal is to match the original look.

This model is usually used upside-down, so the "pipes" look like they're dangling. So it makes sense for them to look like they're some kind of flexible corrugated material.
663f0618ea523
gang.bin and gangf.bin.
shtup hose1.* texture needs to be rotated to resemble vanilla one.

663f0618ea9a5ZylonBane

663f0618ea9fc
About the basket. Since the original texture for the net was messy I made a new one (based of the old one). Which is inluded.
Then I made a model for the original texture with a lit number (basket_l.bin). It's up to you to devide which one you want to incorporate into SCP.
New hoop looks great. There's a problem with the net though. Dark's renderer really hates textures that are stretched into non-square shapes-- it causes them to warp and snap when any vertex of their polygon crosses a screen edge. So when you look at and away from the basketball net, it jumps around quite a bit. Really the only solution is to keep the texels square, and compensate for it in the texture.

gang.bin and gangf.bin.
Looking good. Only thing that needs to be fixed on both models is that only one of the boxes is textured correctly around its perimeter. On the other box, two sides are blank and on the other two sides there's a stripe running in the wrong direction.
« Last Edit: 20. October 2014, 05:18:21 by ZylonBane »
663f0618eaf1a
Really the only solution is to keep the texels square, and compensate for it in the texture.
I don't quite understand you, are you saying that the surface ingame should match the surface in the UV map?

Looking good. Only thing that needs to be fixed on both models is that only one of the boxes is textured correctly around its perimeter. On the other box, two sides are blank and on the other two sides there's a stripe running in the wrong direction.
So you want to have the lower boxes textures arranged like the upper boxes one?
I just kept it true to the original.

663f0618eb23eZylonBane

663f0618eb297
I don't quite understand you, are you saying that the surface ingame should match the surface in the UV map?
I'm saying:

So for something like a basketball net (or any kind of conic section), if you want perfect texturing, it's pretty much unavoidable to have some wasted space in the texture map, because you can't just stretch it to fit. Dark hates warped textures.

So you want to have the lower boxes textures arranged like the upper boxes one?
I just kept it true to the original.
Well, yeah. I think we're all agreed that the original texturing sucked.  O_o
663f0618eb3fb
So what I said, ok.

Changed it so the surface isn't warped on the UV map anymore, or at least, as little as I could do.
Also modified the texture for SHTUP to match the UV layout. Strangely the texture looks all messed up in ShockEd, but ingame it looks fine. Maybe ZylonBane knows what's up.

As for the gang* models. Two sides have a mirrored texture so the vanilla texture looks seamingless.
If you want a non mirrored for SHTUP just tell me and I will make them.

663f0618eb550ZylonBane

663f0618eb59e
Thanks, I'll take a look at these after work.

Another model I just noticed could use a tweak is the Sandman Audio sign on earth. If you look closely at it, you'll see that the edges of the sign are textured the same as the front and back faces. I'm not sure what to do about it though. Ideally, it would look like the blue stripes were wrapping around the sides, but there isn't any clean vertical strip of that pattern present in the texture. I suppose I could provide you with a custom texture to be used for the sides and top/bottom.
663f0618eb67c
Maybe this is good enough.

663f0618eb85dZylonBane

663f0618eb8af
Maybe this is good enough.
It is!  :thumb:

All four models look great. I'm marking them as done in the first post.
663f0618eb99f
Good.

Did you found out what was wrong with the basm texture?

663f0618eba5fZylonBane

663f0618ebab6
I'm not aware that anything is wrong with it, other than its texture probably should have been created using something like LithUnwrap. "Fortunately", it's so low-res you can barely notice the breaks in the net.
663f0618ebbd0
No I was talking about the SHTUP one I edited to match the new UV mapping. Ingame it looks normal, but  in ShockEd it looks messed up.

The low res (kind of vanilla) one is so low res that it's not really editable to match.

663f0618ebc7dZylonBane

663f0618ebcd7
Ah, I hadn't given much thought to the SHTUP texture. No idea why it would look different in ShockEd. That's something I'll have to get back to later.

663f0618ebefeSystem Shocked

663f0618ebf51
Here's a pic of the two gang models and your most current version. Requested modifications indicated.

Just wanted to point out that the left-most wire hub block connects to the wall over top of a light fixture, which looks weird.

663f0618ebff2ZylonBane

663f0618ec040
I'll be sure to correct the throwaway scene that I made just for that screenshot right away.

663f0618ec1abZylonBane

663f0618ec1fa
I just noticed that on the updated nanocan.bin (nanite tank) the computer screen on the front isn't self-lit anymore.

663f0618ec436voodoo47

663f0618ec485
checked the latest batch of models, all are a go as far as I can see. will pack them up and upload as v09, unless ZB has something to add..?

663f0618ec544ZylonBane

663f0618ec591
I was just thinking that SHTUP's large conference table model would be a nice addition. Years ago someone fixed that so the green lights aren't in the wrong position anymore.

...I really need to make a spreadsheet to keep track of the overlap between SHTUP and the fixed model pack.  O_o

663f0618ec618voodoo47

663f0618ec663
so it would seem. never a free lunch, remember?

Your name:
This box must be left blank:

Name the AI in System Shock 2 that shares its name with a Persian king:
1 Guest is here.
We’ve answered 315,930 questions. We can answer yours, too.
Contact SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2016, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies
FEEP
663f0618ec74c