66405c980dd4c

66405c980e27b
1 Guest is here.

66405c980e9ebvoodoo47

66405c980ea4b
indeed, looks like an evil old model has managed to sneak into the flora pack somehow (even though I triple check these things before publishing). the model from the previous post works fine - will update the flora pack later this week.

in the end, I'm still only human.
66405c980ed38
No big deal, could have been me that fucked it up as well.

66405c980ee01voodoo47

66405c980ee5d
doesn't really matter. anyway, quick look at the conduits, everything seems to be fine. really glad I did not try to fix this by editing the maps in some hacky way.
66405c980efa4
Whatever it is that can be possible done through changing models, don't feel shy about asking me for it.
If there is something which can't be done I will certainly tell you, but basically, there is quite a lot you can do.
At least when it stays to static models, there we have a really great tool now with even more possibilites than what the game originally offered.

AI meshes it where it get's messy and complicated, but that it mostly because we lack the right tools and the stupid hardcoded skeletons.

66405c980f226System Shocked

66405c980f283
Sorry voodoo47, but since it appears that SCP Beta 2 has entered the nitty-gritty stages of its assembly, review, preparation and release, I'm sticking my chin way out here and re-posting these two legitimate and visually obvious problems that need to be reconsidered and fixed. It's ridiculous to think that these easily visible/improvable problems (except for Olfred's personal/valuable time) not be addressed.

Based on my original feedback reports for SCP Beta 1, retaining their same issue numbers, Forum Post #371 :

Operating Without A License On The Operations Deck
============================================
1. Display's numerical decal http://i.imgur.com/QDrnAlb.jpg floats too far from its surface http://i.imgur.com/mD1Zr5i.jpg
12. Numerical decal on 3 Sim units http://i.imgur.com/Nj9owGG.jpg floats too far from surface http://i.imgur.com/R31jg4S.jpg

Item #1 - Large display is seen/used only once ingame, but problem is VERY apparent and can be greatly visually improved.
Item #12 - ZylonBane recently reported "screen tiling" issues on sim units, so this may be fixed, as a result of Olfred's rework.

Thanks for further dwelling. Initial comments for this were "nobody cares" and "whatever" - As a SCP mod Dev . . . REALLY ?
« Last Edit: 10. June 2015, 05:14:32 by System Shocked »

66405c980f684RocketMan

66405c980f6e0
System Shocked:  Let me be so bold as to preface by saying I actually appreciate the time you're putting into these reports.

Having said that, this is the FIRST time I have ever looked at any of the items on your lists, mostly because I'm not in any way involved in correcting any of them.  Based solely on first impressions, I have to say I think the floaty decal thing is too meticulous for any normal player to notice.  I can guarantee you I would have never noticed it unless I was bored and was actually looking for such things.  I mean it's a legit complaint but ZB, Voodoo, Olfred, et al. are burning the candles at both ends for this game so let's try not to push them over the edge of mental breakdown over a 2mm floaty decal, cool?

66405c980f833voodoo47

66405c980f88d
some of them really do float a lot, and can be noticed easily, those should be fixed (fortunately, this is an easy fix, or so Olfred says). however, if you need to zoom it, then you don't need to fix it. also, a bit of floating is required to avoid z issues (just like signs need to float off walls for a tiny bit).

also, the screens might be holograms, in that case, anything could float off as much as it wanted to and it would be ok.

and yeah, some of the reports do belong into the nobody cares file cabinet - if I were to guesstimate, about one third. good stuff is about one fifth, the rest is legit, but of very low priority (or a real pita to fix with very little resulting improvement). and, as already mentioned, the effort is recognized and acknowledged. also the drawings were helpful (continue doing that) and some even mildly funny.
« Last Edit: 10. June 2015, 08:46:08 by voodoo47 »
66405c980fa22
@ System Shocked
Basically all the models have floating decals and looking them all up just consumes an immense lot of time for a way too small return of investment.
But if you go on and present me the model name including the archetype number for every model where it should be fixed, I would go on and fix them all.

As I'm not that heartless, here is a good start for getting to it.
And don't come up with any excuses or whining. I had to learn it as well.

66405c980fac7voodoo47

66405c980fb18
ss2tool 6.x can install the editor in an user friendly way.
66405c980fc0e
Even better. But you also explain some basic things in that posting and the following to come.

66405c980fcecvoodoo47

66405c980fd3a
true, but the manual bits are not necessary anymore (with the exception of setting the editor resolution maybe).

anyway, stellar.bin Stellar Map (-3545) [binary code decal floating off the model], if you think the model is worthy *insert Ultron reference*.
66405c980fe5a
Somehow that model is giving me problems.

I can't use nemyax importer for it, it gives me an error.
So I tried to use bintoe and eto3ds to get it into Blender. But somehow it messes something up. The original model does have red borders around the screen, but the one I get just has the genpipe texture mapped to it.
I could just go and add some red texture, but I really want to know what's really going on there.

66405c980ff03voodoo47

66405c980ff53
unless you really feel like you need to crack the case no matter the cost, I'd just leave it, as mentioned, this has pretty much zero priority.
« Last Edit: 11. June 2015, 10:46:25 by nemyax »
66405c981016d
Del?

It's up to nemyax if he wants to investigate it or not.
66405c981027d
In that post I asked you to PM the file to me, but then I realised it was the vanilla stellar.bin and got that. Hence the "del".
It craps out for me as well, but I suspect the file is corrupted, even though it doesn't crash the game.
66405c98103ee
I kind of suspect a strange special setting in there which is hardly used anywhere else (if it's even used somewhere else).
As shadowspawns tools mostly get me correct models or at least .e files. But this time the model features something strange.
66405c9810514
My Wings3D importer, which does things in a simpler way, reads it just fine:
http://pix.academ.org/img/2015/06/11/eae19ef0de5a57e8d80d0360a94e3a47.png
The black spots are z-fights.
66405c981060f
I just installed Wings3D and looked at it myself.
In there the critical part that I was talking about is mapped to the material "default".
So it's probably just some RGB mapped material again which somehow produces an error, right?
66405c9810719
Not sure. This might have nothing to do with the error. In Blender, the importer can't find a face by the offset that it's supposed to have. But the Wings importer ignores all offset data and just sucks everything in from the face array.
It's unlikely that the shading type breaks the referencing. It's possible though...
66405c9810b98
In Blender, the importer can't find a face by the offset that it's supposed to have.
So it might just be because the model is so fucking huge? Mhhh... well OK.
Still doesn't explain why even shadowspans converter doesn't get me the right material...

Nevermind, using your Wings3D script I were able to get a clean model and just build on that.

This model now comes with 2 new textures. One to accomodate the RGB mapped part of the model. At first I was considering just using RED.* but that doesn't fit well. (On the sim computer models I did it for 2 textures as the colours were close enough).
And secondly, I merged the 4 STELL* textures together to a big one to get rid of the seams.
66405c9810f5a
So it might just be because the model is so fucking huge?
But it's only 25 faces =)
Among other things, the node structures in .bin basically say, "There are sex scenes on pages 250, 318 and 753" "There are faces at offsets X, Y and Z". And apparently the promised offsets are wrong in this case.

66405c98112a9ZylonBane

66405c9811303
And secondly, I merged the 4 STELL* textures together to a big one to get rid of the seams.
That wasn't actually necessary with this model. It's one of the ones that behaves correctly when UV clamping is enabled with a MTL file.
66405c98115d6
I see, those sex scenes.

At first when you mentioned something about offset I thought the model may be "out of bounds" and that created the error.
With huge I meant the overal size of the model, not the amount of faces.

That wasn't actually necessary with this model. It's one of the ones that behaves correctly when UV clamping is enabled with a MTL file.
Oh, there is something like that? Tell me more.

Your name:
This box must be left blank:

System Shock 2 takes place on the star ship named ...:
1 Guest is here.
Stand by to curse the inability of your VCR to hold a paused frame steady!
Contact SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2016, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies
FEEP
66405c98124df