663f87f3a8e74

663f87f3a93d1
1 Guest is here.

663f87f3a9c4d
Mhh... yes. I could make something out of it. Three pieces per barrel are sufficent?

663f87f3a9d97voodoo47

663f87f3a9dea
more than sufficient. it actually shouldn't be more, as that could lead into FPS problems. Dark doesn't like too many objects onscreen.

663f87f3a9f5eZylonBane

663f87f3a9fad
Dark on modern systems is fine with a high object count. Protocol droid caskets currently break apart into four pieces. There's a spot in the cargo bays where five or six of them bust open at the same time, practically covering the floor with debris, and the frame rate doesn't dip a bit.

I agree though that three pieces per barrel would be sufficient. Like... chunks from near the top, center, and bottom. That way they could spawn multiple copies of the same chunk and make sense. I assume the software you use supports boolean subtraction? So you could hollow out a barrel model to give the walls some thickness, then slice out debris chunks.

I (or Voodoo) will post a list of barrel object models soon. I think there's only three that would need to be done.

663f87f3aa06bvoodoo47

663f87f3aa0b5
they already are on the previous page. also, my machine took some serious beating when I've set the cryo barrel to corpse into three medconsole chunks and ran the ops3 sequence, but yeah, that thing is ancient, so anyone running something sane would probably have little problem.
663f87f3aa437
I assume the software you use supports boolean subtraction? So you could hollow out a barrel model to give the walls some thickness, then slice out debris chunks.
It does. But it also does have something even better. Solidify. You basically just add thickness to a model. I used that for the tram because the walls were paper thin.

663f87f3aa6a2Yankee Clipper

663f87f3aa6f8
It does. But it also does have something even better. Solidify. You basically just add thickness to a model. I used that for the tram because the walls were paper thin.

And yet those damn turrets can still shoot me right through the tram walls. The wall's permeability seems to be one-sided though, as I am unable to fire a projectile back at them from the same position.

It is good to know who to blame.  :)

663f87f3aa818
Certainly not me. That must be some property setting.

663f87f3aa8e4Yankee Clipper

663f87f3aa930
I was just kidding. There are a few places that enemies can hit the player but the player can't hit back. The force field around the shuttle is another one. The assassin can fire through it to get the player but the player can't shoot through it to kill him.
663f87f3aaa43
Here is the brain.
I thought about embossing the goey part. But that would have killed the poly limit. So here goes with only inset goey.
Acknowledged by: ZylonBane

663f87f3aad63ZylonBane

663f87f3aadb7
Certainly not me. That must be some property setting.
Long story short, the point of origin for AI weapons isn't treated as part of an AI's collision system, so it will happily launch projectiles "inside" a physics object that it's otherwise colliding with.

663f87f3aae55ZylonBane

663f87f3aaea5
New brain model looks really good. Thanks!

(slurps brain up into SHTUP)
663f87f3ab0c4
I'm glad you guys like it.
You should do a thorough testing of the model as it gave me some trouble and I had to tweak it around quite a bit. At least for me everything looked good in the end, but I might have missed something.
663f87f3ab24b
I created some debris for the barrelc model.

The pieces are not like breakaway model parts, but they are made from the orignal model.
I added three textures for them which I baked in Blender. I probably need to do the same procedure for SHTUP as well.

I did a quick crap botch job on the textures to add the "burn" on the edges. So to make decent textures I added the textures I based them on in the sources as well.
You will also find that there are blend files with final in the name. Basically they are there to create the bin file, the ones without the final in them are needed to bake the texture.

If you are pleased with them I can go on and do it for the other models the same way.

663f87f3ab3c6ZylonBane

663f87f3ab41d
I like it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=djrpjBwJ6CY

Though I'm undecided on whether the insides should have a different texture than the outsides. Logically the insides should be different, like a mottled grey or something. But on the other hand, using the same texture on all sides of debris objects is pretty much part of the visual aesthetic for games this old.
663f87f3ab55c
Yeah, I thought about that, too.
But that would cost more work and/or additional textures to be made. And on the other hand, that's just the usual way things are done in System Shock 2.

I went ahead and did a little example of what it could look like with another inside. Now with even cruder texture.

663f87f3ab7cbSystem Shocked

663f87f3ab820
Concerning the fixed floating decals for the comforce door model, the larger decal isn't centered within it's black outline, as is the case with other similar models/decals, and like the adjacent smaller decal is   -   http://i.imgur.com/RG8S0rZ.jpg   and http://i.imgur.com/qhxNwb5.jpg
« Last Edit: 28. June 2015, 12:07:24 by System Shocked »
663f87f3ab925
That must be a non-vanilla texture issue.
And maybe it's just build that way. Not everything must be centered.

663f87f3abaf1ZylonBane

663f87f3abb3f
I hate myself for getting that reference.

663f87f3abbe0voodoo47

663f87f3abc2c
yeah, not the best thing out there to read/watch, but was worth it just for being able to slap that picture here.
663f87f3abd11
So I am free of self-hate for today as I didn't watch/read that anime/manga, yay!

Your name:
This box must be left blank:

Name the default melee weapon in System Shock:
1 Guest is here.
You're messing with my Zen thing, man.
Contact SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2016, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies
FEEP
663f87f3abe2e