6647ce0e9bb79

6647ce0e9c92a
1 Guest is here.

Topic: New System Shock Remake demo teaser Read 1823 times  

6647ce0e9d265
Looks alright to me. Actually this is shaping up to be much better then I anticipated for this project!
Acknowledged by: Kolya

6647ce0e9d4a2icemann

6647ce0e9d4f0
Great trailer.

The only negative not with the trailer but just in general, is that NDS has been presently focusing all their attention on just Medical. Where as a recommended games dev strategy is to start with a level in the middle of the game as the first place you start working on, where the player already has all their abilities / weapons etc, and THEN work your backwards (through the levels).

Otherwise, if you focus too much on the beginning, then it's far more difficult to build off that later. And far longer.

A good example of the problems / issues this can cause is in more later abilities / weapons being underdeveloped or not included at all. So for this remake for example, we have no mantling (which may not even end up in the game according to some posts on Discord last week).

There has been no info on:

* Energy/Projectile Shield
* Environmental Protection Suit •
* Head-Mounted Lantern
* Infrared Night Sight Unit
* Jump Jet - However there is a model for the boots
* Target Identifier
* Turbo Motion Booster System

These ones will not be in the game (going by Discord comments by NDS staff, and comments in stream videos):

* Sensaround Multi-View Unit
Acknowledged by: ThiefsieFool

6647ce0e9d636voodoo47

6647ce0e9d688
the genius patches are not making it in either, most likely (random discussion on discord).

6647ce0e9d8bcbigfatfrog605

6647ce0e9d90b
I agree it's annoying that we have only seen a lot of medical lately, because I know that there is a lot more done than they are letting on (they showed off the flight deck on a stream last month and it looked pretty good). It can be annoying especially when the sources are tucked away in dev streams or kickstarter updates from 6 months ago, so it gives off the notion that only one level is done after 4 years.

I'm not really sure if I agree on the implants being a good metric for the game's development. I'm not a dev (in fact I would say that Icemann is the expert here), but wouldn't you feel like implants and gadgets that increase your speed, are a flashlight, apply protection against hazards, etc., are easier to implement and are probably lower on their "triage" (I don't know any other word to use) of tasks? I still hope they can show them off soon, though.

100% agree on mantling though, that should be there by now. They added ladder animations so hopefully its still being considered. There may also be some yet-announced publishing partner that is pushing them for these deadlines and medical just happens to be the level that can demonstrate milestones of development.

EDIT: I went back to a stream Stephen did in April 2018 and interestingly enough a lot of those implants/items were actually in the game (albeit with no textures, etc.) It's at around the 2 hour 14 minute mark if you're interested.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DZy9KmZjuTg

« Last Edit: 17. June 2020, 04:31:13 by bigfatfrog605 »
Acknowledged by: ThiefsieFool

6647ce0e9d9e3icemann

6647ce0e9da2f
Mantling should be in, as it's used in every level of the original.

Personally NDS's style of not telling backers exactly what state of development things are at, is a continuing annoyance. Especially when every other game I've backed on KS was FAR more upfront on the topic. Why their keeping so much secret confuses me.

6647ce0e9db83ZylonBane

6647ce0e9dbd0
System Shock doesn't have mantling. What it does have is climbable surfaces. Mostly applied to ladder textures, but also to things like pipe textures where it would make sense that you can climb them.

It also has a very generous height limit for ascending steps, such that if you walk into a block that seems about half your height, you'll just go right up and over it.
Acknowledged by: JosiahJack

6647ce0e9dc61voodoo47

6647ce0e9dcb3
I think I've called it proto-mantling somewhere.

6647ce0e9df4fJosiahJack

6647ce0e9dfa0
The "mantling" in System Shock 1 is a combination of the player's body collision being a sphere and certain walls being climbable ladder walls.  There is no mantling in the same way that SS2 has for instance.

These walls are all ladders:

6647ce0e9e066ZylonBane

6647ce0e9e0b3
I could swear I've read that the player physics model is a rolling cube, which explains the kind of lurching movement.

6647ce0e9e165icemann

6647ce0e9e1af
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rwM9E9nN0I4

Mantling. That version of it, is what I was talking about.
« Last Edit: 18. June 2020, 08:26:57 by Moderator »
Acknowledged by: Nameless Voice
6647ce0e9e6b6
Looks like a ball being pushed up a ledge.

It also has a very generous height limit for ascending steps, such that if you walk into a block that seems about half your height, you'll just go right up and over it.

6647ce0e9e8edvoodoo47

6647ce0e9e93c
pogo slideworming rubber band ball potato.
Acknowledged by: Kolya
1 Guest is here.
You just lost. You lost everything.
Contact SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2016, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies
FEEP
6647ce0e9ea49