6647e894d9bf5

6647e894daa3e
1 Guest is here.

6647e894db1ed
I've not kept much of an eye on new game releases for a while now, so I was wondering what good games have been released in the past year or two.

What immersive sims have been released, or are due, that are worth playing? I think Terminus : Cyberstar, Safe Not Safe, and Core Decay, look promising, but are still unreleased.

Cruelty Squad (https://store.steampowered.com/app/1388770/Cruelty_Squad/) looks weird and the sort of game I'd dismiss purely on it's looks, as it looks like someone has spent an afternoon with a first person shooter creator, using the default models, and hasn't even bothered to texture anything, instead just applying clashing colours every where. But GmanLives' review (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iBHZpO9B3cY) of it makes it sound pretty intriguing actually.
Acknowledged by: Maskina
6647e894db37e
I have no idea if it's any good, but there's Peripeteia, which is something like indie take on deus ex by some polish guy. There is a demo on steam

6647e894db48ficemann

6647e894db4de
Void Bastards came out a few years ago. Has some System Shock-ish elements, but is FAR more rogue-like. Games an absolute blast to play at first but then repetitive and annoying in it's later sections. Worth a play.

6647e894db5eeMaskina

6647e894db63f
If you have yet to try Prey (2017) then I recommend to complete it. It's the closest modern game that I can think of that comes closest in being Shockish.

6647e894db738voodoo47

6647e894db787
does it have zombies, ninjas and monkeys though?
Acknowledged by 2 members: Join2, Maskina

6647e894db9e3Maskina

6647e894dba3f
voodoo47
haha, okay then. It actually does only have one kind of specie albeit with multiple forms.

6647e894dbc4bicemann

6647e894dbc9f
does it have zombies, ninjas and monkeys though?

It has mimics, which I wish SS2 had. Those really keep you on your toes.
6647e894dd273
I have no idea if it's any good, but there's Peripeteia, which is something like indie take on deus ex by some polish guy. There is a demo on steam

I've not heard of that, but it does sound interesting (https://shodanon.itch.io/peripeteia).  Downloading the demo now, thanks.

Void Bastards came out a few years ago. Has some System Shock-ish elements, but is FAR more rogue-like. Games an absolute blast to play at first but then repetitive and annoying in it's later sections. Worth a play.

I'm pretty sure I did get that (I bought it from GOG, I think), but I don't remember playing it, strangely. I remember the reviews (it's the one where when you die you then play another, separate person, with an individual talent/ability/aspec/whetever, itsn't it?) and I thought it might be interesting. I'll have to check and see.

If you have yet to try Prey (2017) then I recommend to complete it. It's the closest modern game that I can think of that comes closest in being Shockish.

I love Prey! It's one of my favourite games of all time, and by far the most System Shock-ish I know of. It even manages to out-shock the Shock games in some ways. The space station felt like a real place and was very interesting to explore, the game mechanics were varied and allowed for enjoyable experimentation, the alien/psi upgrades were fun to use, the story was intriguing, and it was a mostly great game.

I was very disappointed that there was never a sequel, though, as not only did we not get another really great SS-ish game, but we'll now never find out exactly what the final cut-scene  was all about. Plus a sequel could have fixed the first game's few flaws, such as lack of randomisation (when you played through it a couple of times it was easy to tell when an enemy might be spawning in a given place), the way the game was too easy when you knew all the game's mechanics, and the lack of genuine fear and apprehension in the game's atmosphere (all three faults were absent in the two System Shock games, of course).

It has mimics, which I wish SS2 had. Those really keep you on your toes.

Yes, it was a great mechanic, learning to check for two of the same items (say two stools, or two stand-up ashtrays) right next to each other, as one of them could be a mimic (the mimics aren't intelligent, and so they just assume the shape of something nearby, not realising that two of the same objects close together might be sign that something isn't right), but again the game didn't randomise the mimics placement much, so you get used to where the mimics might be, on repeated play-throughs.

Plus you could use the googles/scanner thing to spot the mimics, or just throw something (even a harmless cardboard box) across the room, and if it goes near a hidden (shape-shifted) mimic, then the mimic will revert back to it's mimic form in alarm, The game was great for letting you decide how to play it.

On the minus side, the mimics remain weak, and so become less and less dangerous to you as you become stronger and better protected against injury. Meaning that you can afford to not look for them, and just quickly kill them when they do attack you.

6647e894dd34dvoodoo47

6647e894dd39b
Solarix? I really should go play it sometime.
6647e894dd5f1
Darkwood, because it's the only survival horror in well over a decade that's truly good (Prey came close, but not quite).
Parallels with Shock 2 include: Exploration, combat, some stealth elements, and involving resource/inventory management as the core gameplay, with the occasional puzzle element. Lots of intuitive systems to utilize and interact. Core gameplay is not far removed from Shock 2 despite being top-down perspective, and of course it is horror-themed.
Another parallel is in that it is rather innovative (I don't want to spoil anything), yet at the same time traditional (i.e it's a fucking game not a jumpscare/walking sim or cinematic borefest; gameplay oriented).
The true parallel however, is that it is a truly great game with uncompromising game design that respects the player.

You must play this game. And stick with it. The start may not grab you (I wasn't blown away right away), but it will over time. It may not be first person, but that should not deter you - if you like Shock 2 I see no good reason you should not like this. A quality experience is just that.
« Last Edit: 19. July 2021, 03:47:53 by Join2 »

6647e894ddc27icemann

6647e894ddc7f
Solarix? I really should go play it sometime.

If that's the one I'm thinking of, a regular of TTLG (round the time of it's development) made that. I've watched videos but never played it.

I'm pretty sure I did get that (I bought it from GOG, I think), but I don't remember playing it, strangely. I remember the reviews (it's the one where when you die you then play another, separate person, with an individual talent/ability/aspec/whetever, itsn't it?) and I thought it might be interesting. I'll have to check and see.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=llO1zByMQqg

I did a review of the game a while ago. That should fill you in on it.
6647e894dddb0
There is another game that tries to be system shock 2, it's called Spirits of Xanadu and it's not recent, it have simplistic graphics and is probably mediocre. Just thought i add it to the list for the curious

6647e894de010sarge945

6647e894de064
I'm working on one, but it's been in progress for over a year now and will likely continue to be for a while.

It's also a VR exclusive
6647e894de27c
I will look at Solarix, Darkwood, and Spirits of Xanadu, thanks. I have to admit, Darkwood's top-down viewport might otherwise have put me off, but it does sound intriguing.

Sarge945, can you tell us about your game, please?

6647e894de356sarge945

6647e894de3ad
It's early stages, sort of Deus Ex/Cyberpunk style, and is looking to be about the perils of technology.

We are still building core systems.

I really should start a dev blog (and maybe a thread here). Not a huge amount to show right now though

6647e894de4f5Nameless Voice

6647e894de543
For immersive sims in general, I made a thread over on TTLG listing all (most?) of the immersive sims currently in development.
6647e894de689
I'm hopeful for "Shadows of Doubt".
1 Guest is here.
You just lost. You lost everything.
Contact SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2016, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies
FEEP
6647e894de792