6635402b4b602

6635402b4be61
1 Guest is here.

Topic: SS2 Blue Mod Manager
Page: « 1 ... 21 [22]
Read 18734 times  

Re: Re: SS2 Blue Mod Manager
6635402b4ca2d
On the one hand, yes, that's a valid remark, on the other hand: We're talking about an unimportant, tiny single-developer tool for a highly detail-oriented audience. Everything is a bikeshed. :)

6635402b4d0b8sarge945

6635402b4d164
Sorry to be so blunt, but it's a terrible practice to keep separate builds (build script, artifacts) just for the sake of having a different icon when there is exactly zero benefit to it, and unless someone can convince me this is a much-needed feature, I won't do it. I'm certainly not keeping anyone else from doing it, either.

Sorry, I don't think I was clear.

I didn't mean the application in Explorer. That would definitely be something generic.

But in the actual manager itself, when it loads, if it knows what game it's managing, it could change it's own icon and the window title to "Thief Mod Manager" or "SS2 Mod Manager" respectively.

Although thinking about this in hindsight, that might actually be more confusing to some users, who might think there is 2 different applications.

6635402b4d2b1ZylonBane

6635402b4d313
You know icons are displayed for programs when they aren't running, yes?
6635402b4d77c
Won't be able to work on this for a few weeks, but tested the current build on Linux and it seems to work well, so don't expect any more code changes. I want to clean up the pipeline.
If @voodoo47 or anyone else wants to get a Thief fanpatch ready, just use the current build: https://github.com/pshjt/dmm/releases/download/v1.0.0-beta1/dmm.exe
« Last Edit: 17. January 2021, 18:53:09 by Marvin »
Acknowledged by: voodoo47

6635402b4d92fvoodoo47

6635402b4d9e6
one last request - we may need support for pure squirrel script mods in the future, so making the manager recognize them would be prudent, most likely.

basically, modname\sq_scripts\*.nut, see attachment for an example (in dmm ready archive format).
Acknowledged by: Marvin

6635402b4dba5Deu sex

6635402b4dbfd
That question was probably asked 10000 times, but what file is responsible for managing what mod is activated or not, and in what order ?
If I want for example to share my modlist.

6635402b4dd65voodoo47

6635402b4ddc3
for sharing a modlist, ss2bmm.log, and the actual file that the game reads is cam_mod.ini, both are in your SS2 folder.

6635402b4de5fDeu sex

6635402b4dec9
thank you !
6635402b4dffe
You can now also export a mod list via profile manager. It's just a text file basically containing the single useful line from cam_mod.ini, so there's less risk of running into trouble overwriting other people's settings.

6635402b4e093Deu sex

6635402b4e0e9
even better ! thanks
6635402b4e73d
You may hate me for pointing this out so late, but I don't think Dark Mod Manager is a good name for a new tool to be used by the Thief community.

They already have the well-established Dark Mod. It's been around for over a decade (it won PCGamer's Mod of the Year in 2012), it's still popular, and it's still actively updated.

https://www.thedarkmod.com/main/

Introducing something called Dark Mod Manager that has nothing to do with the established Dark Mod could be, quite obviously, confusing and problematic. It's also possible some of the developers of the Dark Mod may, somewhat understandably, take offense.

Sorry, I hadn't taken the time to read all the comments in this thread since before you gave it a name.
6635402b4e8b9
I'm always open for ideas. Dark Mod devs taking offense would be very amusing, though.
6635402b4ea8d
we may need dark mood management to have these dorks mind manners. okay, don't mind me. damn my misanthropy.

6635402b4eb56voodoo47

6635402b4eba9
I'd just leave the name be. don't fix something that ain't broke.
Acknowledged by 3 members: Kolya, JML, RoSoDude

6635402b4ef6bsarge945

6635402b4efc7
we may need dark mood management to have these dorks mind manners. okay, don't mind me. damn my misanthropy.

When are you releasing Dork Mood Manager?
6635402b4f55b
I'm a bit late to the party, but I finally took some time to properly test this beauty. Here's what I found:

After starting the BMM 1.16.1 I get the following line in the terminal running Wine: "wine: Read access denied for device L"\\??\\Z:\\", FS volume label and serial are not available."

Does not close on "X" any more, has to be force quitted. Can't replicate that now, probably just bad luck the first time around.

Profiles are saved, but not automatically shown when going back to "Manage profiles..." but rather have to be reimported via "Load file...". This works, however after pressing "Use" I get that same "wine: Read access denied for device L"\\??\\Z:\\".

Automatically extracting .7z files works properly and even shows the elapsed time. The last digit of the seconds is cut at the midpoint but doesn't really matter.

"Increase priority" and "Decreade priority" have no arrows, but just rectangles (see screenies). Other than that they work as intended.

About page works with link and licence.

"Install mod archive(s)" and selecting a .7z file in the DMM folder brings a tiny popup (see screenie). After pressing Enter I can choose the .7z file again. Then comes a bigger popup (see screenie), telling me I am stoopid. Also cut off a tiny bit in the end. Also it's "Cancel" (or "Abbrechen" in your case) and not "Abort". You might want to add to the message, that the user could reopen the modmanager to extract these mods automatically (since it always does that just on the startup, not when you copy mods in there with it already running). Suggestion:
Code: [Select]
Do not select archives from the DMM (mods) folder.
They are installed automatically.
Simply restart the Mod Manager
or select an archive from a different folder.

"Install mod archive(s)..." works properly when selecting from a different folder (as is intended).

"Delete" and pressing Del/Entf on the keyboard both work as intended. Popup cut off though. Sometimes the popup is tiny, similar to the other tiny popup. Can only press enter (which closes since "Yes" is preselected),  also when it's tiny like that. Can't resize. Alt+N (No) or Alt+Y (Yes) work though.

"Lookup mod (WWW)" works as intended.

"Open ReadMe file" works as intended, very nice addition!

"Open mods folder" opens the mod folder in a Wine window (and not the installed file manager, Nemo in my case) and is ugly af. Don't care tho, since most people know how to navigate to the DMM folder anyway.

"Select game folder..." seems to work well and finds SS2.

Duplicate folder name warning works, you good, good man!

Drag'n'drop does not work.

Ctrl+S saving works.

Button is called "Launch game", not "Exit and start game" as the releasenotes in Github say. I vaguely remember there being a discussion to rename the button to something else or whatnot. I preferred the "Exit and start game" but it doesn't really matter. It does what it's supposed to do.

Wine build: 5.0

Anything else you'd like me to look into?
[InstallModArchives_popup.png expired]
[DMM_folder_popup.png expired]
[DeleteMod_popup.png expired]
« Last Edit: 05. April 2021, 01:02:53 by JML »
6635402b4f69e
I should be getting back to this just about... now soon.
6635402b4f8b9
@JML
* Concerning read denied warnings: Do you just get a warning in the console or are there actual problems with the functionality? I'm just using basic wxWidgets file system functionality, reduced to the limited NTFS feature set of Wine. No changes at all since the project started, so no idea what I could do to fix.
* Saved profiles not shown immediately: This is intended. However, the use button should have stayed disabled. Fixed
* Cut-off deletion sentence: Probably one of a couple of million different things that can go wrong with string manipulation between operating systems.
* Missing symbols: Wine issue with Unicode symbols and Windows BOM. I tried several ways to implement Unicode symbols, this is the only one that worked consistently on Windows. Shame about Wine.
* Cut-off popup: Does the terminal tell you anything interesting when that happens? The deletion dialog is the same as any other standard dialog. Does this always happen with a certain mod folder, maybe containing invalid characters?
* Drag and drop: Shame. The feature relies on certain refresh timings working correctly. Win only then. Thanks for the feedback!
* Wording: Where exactly does it still say "Exit and start game" anymore? I thought I changed that everywhere.
6635402b4f9f8
@voodoo47 Added *.nut file support to most recent version.

Edit: Wait, no. Are .nut files always in a subfolder? Only checking main folder so far.
//FIXED!
« Last Edit: 11. April 2021, 17:43:57 by Marvin »
Acknowledged by: voodoo47
« Last Edit: 13. April 2021, 21:32:54 by Moderator »

6635402b500feGaleb_G4M

6635402b50164
I've given it a try, and it's great! I've downloaded quite a couple mods recently, and since I'm spending more or less all of my days in front of the computer (talking the my family over Skype, working on an investment project in Budapest, playing SS2 or Project Wingman...), I tend to get quite tired and to get lost in folders, subfolders, settings ...

6635402b503aeZylonBane

6635402b50403
I just had a thought that it would be nice if the mod manager could somehow also manage bloom settings. Like, have it automatically recognize blablabla.bloom files and copy their values into cam_ext. Currently the only way to mess with bloom is to manually edit a config file, which is a bit much for most users. If bloom presets could be managed like any other mod, that would be pretty slick.

The algorithm wouldn't be too complicated:
- Only apply the highest-priority bloom file.
- On applying a bloom file, if a file named cam_ext.bak does not exist, make a copy of cam_ext.cfg with that name. Just insurance in case cam_ext.cfg somehow gets corrupted.
- Load cam_ext.cfg and split it into lines.
- Remove any previous BMM-applied bloom config:
   Search for a line that starts with "; BMM BLOOM START".
   Search for a line that starts with "; BMM BLOOM END".
   If both found, delete all lines between those two lines, inclusive.
   If only one found, the user has probably been manually mucking around. Best we can do is delete the line that we found.
- Disable any current bloom config:
   Search for any lines that start with with either "postprocess" or "bloom".
   If found, change the lines to be prefixed with a semicolon (i.e., comment them out).
- Add bloom config:
   Append to end "; BMM BLOOM START".
   Append "postprocess 1".
   For each line of the bloom mod file that starts with "bloom", append that line. Ignore lines that start with anything else. We could hard-code all the current bloom config commands, but just keying on "bloom" gives us future-proofing.
   Append "; BMM BLOOM END".
- Write out new cam_ext.cfg.

On disabling a bloom mod, just run the part that scans for and removes the BMM bloom block.

Your name:
This box must be left blank:

An evil mega-corporation with 3 branches:
1 Guest is here.
(The "X" marks the spot)
Contact SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2016, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies
FEEP
6635402b5056f