66484662d4079

66484662d456d
1 Guest is here.

66484662d4df2hank morgan

66484662d4e5f
No updates in several months. Any new progress?

'Fraid not beyond some changes to my magic and cut-scene systems. I was taking some night courses for the past few months so I choose to step back from the project until they were completed. I'll be clear of them in a month or so and I'm hoping to pick up work then.

66484662d50e3hank morgan

66484662d5133
Holy crap, this looks amazing.  well done, man.  Is it possible to use the modified models in other games, like Garry's Mod?

Because playing Trouble in Terrorist Town in Citadel Station would be awesome.
Either way, I approve.

I did do a test version of the map export that works with the Source Engine. It was only a proof of concept that I had working in the Dark Messiah version of Source, but I would assume there is a work-flow for getting the .fbx files into other source engine games.
66484662d52fc
Dude having deathmatch in citadel sounds... fun.

Any idea if the garysmod version of the ss2 pistol can be made to work as a weapon, ir is it just a prop?

66484662d54d2hank morgan

66484662d5520
Just dropping in to say I've resumed development.
Recent highlights
  • Improved spell property system for advanced scripting on projectile spells. Eg spread, no of projectiles, appearance, special impact events, spell effect payloads.
  • Bunch of new spells and spell effects. Tremor, night vision, hallucination, fireball, sheet lightning, roaming sight and paralyze plus improvements to other spells such as levitate
  • Experimentation with level persistence.

As always development can be followed at https://github.com/hankmorgan/UnderworldExporter/commits/master
66484662d56a5
Glad you're back and focusing on Underworld. Shock has the mouselook mod, SS:EE, and two other remakes in the works. As far as I am aware Underworld has no such thing despite arguably being more deserving of it. I'd love to be able to play UW1 & 2 without the major inconveniences: no mouselook, DOSBox annoyance etc
Acknowledged by: Hikari

66484662d57e4icemann

66484662d5839
We all could use a faithful remake of SS1 at the same time, that is the same in appearance as the original.
Acknowledged by: JosiahJack

66484662d5a4ahank morgan

66484662d5a9d
So here's where I am since I last posted.

• I've reworked some of the code for defining spell properties and payloads to allow more flexibility in magic spells. For example explosion like impacts are now possible from spells that can run special code against the point of impact or to entities caught within the radius (think fireballs). Projectile spells can have properties like random spread, no of projectiles etc
  • I've completed most of the player castable spells. The ones I have left are ones like reveal and remove trap which I've never seen a use for in Underworld or AI related spells that exist as placeholder effects
  • A whole bunch of spell effects that can be obtained from enchanted items have also been set up as part of the implementation of the spells.
  • I ripped out my previous UI that I had built using an old version of NGUI. I felt this was necessary due to the age of the code and my implementation left a lot to be desired. As a result I've rebuilt the UI using Unity's inbuilt UI system and I have restored most of the previous functionality. One of the new UI features is the ability in fullscreen mode to drag UI elements around as required

Screenshots

Fullscreen mode with controls randomly moved around.

Image: http://imgur.com/SAvB3KJ

Hallucination Spell Effect

Image: http://imgur.com/OaNsKcV
Acknowledged by 2 members: icemann, chickenhead
66484662d5b97
Was Source Engine version of this tool ever made available to public?

66484662d5ca3hank morgan

66484662d5cf0
All my released (crappy) code including the Source export is available here.

https://github.com/hankmorgan/UnderworldExporter

The source export was just a fun sideline so don't expect much from it beyond basic functionality or if it even still works.

I'm planning on doing another video soon and hopefully another demo release if I can fix a couple of outstanding bugs.
66484662d5dd4
Have you thought about improving the Source version of tool? The engine itself isn't that bad.

66484662d5ed0hank morgan

66484662d5f1e
Here is the video I promised. 
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xbQXgwO-70o

40 minutes of aimless wandering around. There's a few bugs with UI that I've fixed since and the whole thing ends after I run into a game breaking bug. Enjoy.
Acknowledged by: callum13117

66484662d5fd5icemann

66484662d6036
Looking good.

AI routines need some work by the look of it. For now they just make a beeline for the player and don't go via a path finding routine I'm assuming?

66484662d6355hank morgan

66484662d63b0
Looking good.

AI routines need some work by the look of it. For now they just make a beeline for the player and don't go via a path finding routine I'm assuming?

AI is not in a particularly good state and needs to be revisited. There is path-finding but the issue here is targeting. To keep the AI processing overhead down I only make them active when they are close. However the combat sequence basically goes. AI comes into range and awake. AI targets players position. AI moves to as close a point as possible to that location. AI Executes attack and repeats the sequence. So if the player moves during that sequence the AI does not re-target until it has made a swing at the player. It's especially noticeable when I come around a corner at an AI. In a few cases in the video I actually back up to give the AI a chance.
The sequence just needs to keep better track of the player and I think I need to increase the length of the paths the AI will take to stop them charging into walls.

66484662d64bdhank morgan

66484662d650d
I'm happy to report that I can now beat the game.
By that I mean navigating the world legitimately,  collecting all 8 talismans, killing Tybal, assembling the key of infinity to get into the shrine, casting the talismans in to the volcano and escaping the Slasher of Veils in the void. using a character with high stats and infinite mana.
It takes about 1.5 to 2 hours to do all this.

66484662d65fahank morgan

66484662d664e
I promised myself when I reached 500 commits to the repository I would release what I have done regardless of what state it was in. Enjoy.

http://www.mediafire.com/download/qde3ragktd91k3r/UW1_20160823.zip

I'll be linking my dev folder to the repository later on.
Acknowledged by 2 members: icemann, Join usss!
66484662d6a36
Bump.

Is a engine port of Underworld finally upon us?

66484662d6acbicemann

66484662d6b16
Damn 4 months without an update.

66484662d6cd4icemann

66484662d6d1e
Daily code updates, but no news updates it still no updating (news wise). Which is for us the most important bit, since it's one thing to see small notes of changes, and another to see a proper proper update where things are explained in detail. Plus we don't see screenshots or videos with those.
« Last Edit: 03. January 2017, 02:42:11 by icemann »
66484662d712f
Daily code updates, but no news updates it still no updating (news wise). Which is for us the most important bit, since it's one thing to see small notes of changes, and another to see a proper proper update where things are explained in detail. Plus we don't see screenshots of videos with those.
That all costs time, time that is better invested in more coding. :)
Acknowledged by: Join usss!

66484662d731dicemann

66484662d7368
Tell that to the fans though :p. We want details.

Sure it may take an hour of your day to type up an update, but it's far more beneficial for those keeping tabs on the project.
1 Guest is here.
Mr. Kallay sent a review copy to me for gratis.
Contact SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2016, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies
FEEP
66484662d7fe3