66346ef9395e1

66346ef939c7f
4 Guests are here.

66346ef93a711
In the first post the guy that created this stated he was aware of the problem and was going to fix it but I'm assuming that never transpired.
It sort of transpired, just in a commercial form. Malba (the original poster) was picked up by NightDive as a developer and their sourceport aka SS1:EE is his work for them.

66346ef93aa2fAvenger

66346ef93aaaf
Kolya
Damn.

I was hoping that within an 11 year span someone would have fixed this one final major issue because other than that it's the perfect quality of life mod for those of us that still want to play on DOS.

66346ef93ae4eAvenger

66346ef93aea5
Kolya
Sadly I'm not a programmer so those reverse engineering tools don't do anything for me  😢
66346ef93b1f8
Well here I am in 2021 trying to get this patch working with the Original Enchanced CD Dos version of the game in Dos. Maybe some hacker can help?

In Dos I have installed SS from the CD and configured Sound. All good. Game is installed to c:\sshock. Running CDSHOCK works perfectly.

my install file structure looks like this:

c:\sshock-->
                  Data-->
                  Gen-->
                  Sound-->
                  CDshock.bat
                  Cyb.cfg
                  Install.exe
                  Readme.ss
                  Shockgus.bat
                  Sshock.bat

I have downloaded XCDSHOCK0206.ZIP and here I quote from the Readme:

"place XCYB.CFG in the same folder as CYB.CFG (C:\GAMES\SSHOCK\CDSHOCK, for example).
place XCDSHOCK.EXE in the same folder as CDSHOCK.EXE (C:\GAMES\SSHOCK\CDROM, for example).
place XCDSHOCK.BAT in the same folder as CDSHOCK.BAT (C:\GAMES\SSHOCK, for example).
run XCDSHOCK.BAT"

Already this doesn't match to my install folder structure so this may be part of the problem, for example the folder CDROM is actually on the cdrom, not in my install dir.

So I push on and copy the CDROM folder to my install directory, editing the cdshock.bat to point to c:\sshock\cdrom instead of d:\sshock\cdrom.

After this I copy across the patch files as stated in the readme, but as stated my file structure does differ.

So mine goes like this:

XCYB.CFG in the same folder as CYB.CFG - C:\SSHOCK
XCDSHOCK.EXE in the same folder as CDSHOCK.EXE - C:\SSHOCK\CDROM
XCDSHOCK.BAT in the same folder as CDSHOCK.BAT - C:\SSHOCK

Finally, I reboot to dos and run XCDSHOCK.BAT and get the following error:

"Stub exec failed:
\dos4gw.exe
No such file or directory"

This is strange because the ChangeList for the patch says

"no external DOS4GW.EXE required anymore."

Anyway, I download DOS4GW.EXE and place it in the C:\SSHOCK\CDROM folder where the patched exe lives.

I run XCDSHOCK.BAT again and get the same error.

Any ideas?
66346ef93b31c
as a side note, I tried to run SS Portable, but that doesn't run in Dos or in Win98, which is what my build is.

66346ef93b544voodoo47

66346ef93b5a5
hmm, pretty sure SSP was capable of running in the pure DOS mode? anyway, I would start with SSP as a base, and try to hack that into whatever you want to make it (you'll probably have to configure it on a xp+ machine, then move it to the win9x computer).
66346ef93b810
voodoo47
Dont think that will help. the change I want is in the xcyb.cfg file and I already have that. I just dont know how to get the dos version to load it.
66346ef93b927
Solved it. For the record:

DOS4GW.EXE must be placed in the sshock root, so c:\sshock
Acknowledged by: voodoo47

66346ef93bb2fXkilljoy98

• Company: N/A
66346ef93bb83
Would it be possible to get this working on SS Classic? when I tried it, I couldn't get it working

Yes, I am aware EE exists, but I am curious to try this method out of curiosity,

66346ef93bc88voodoo47

66346ef93bcda
well yes, it definitely works, but you really should be using the newest version of the wrapper, which is included the last pre-source port build from steam and GOG.

anyway, the very last version of this wrapper is included in the SS1 test demo.
« Last Edit: 15. September 2022, 08:14:33 by voodoo47 »

66346ef93bd8aFord P Dent

66346ef93bdeb
Here I am in 2023, still using this on original hardware. Really wish somebody would finish the patch.

66346ef93be8avoodoo47

66346ef93bed6
it's done, grab the linked demo and load it with resources from the full game, you are good to go.

Your name:
This box must be left blank:

Trioptimum executive Edward ____ (Fill in the last name):
4 Guests are here.
[an error occurred while processing this directive]
Contact SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2016, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies
FEEP
66346ef93c009