System Shock mouselook/key mapping/high resolution mod (DOS/Classic)

2 Guests are here.
6647caa735124
KolyaQuote
A few questions Malba:

1) Did you use the cdshock.exe from System Shock Portable? I'm asking because it already had  a hex fix applied (for the com port error) and it would be nice to keep that fix.

2) XCYB.CFG contains solely the new keybinds, so I assume CYB.CFG is still used for other settings, like soundcard, etc?

3) May I include your modification in System Shock Portable at a later date with appropriate credit?

That's it for now. Thanks again, you did great work.
6647caa7355f8
RocketManQuote
We actually have mods for ss1 now :D  To think that a couple of years ago this game was pretty much unchanged from 94, now we've got better graphics (to a limited extent), clearer text, new resolutions and ingame mouselook support and custom keys!

This is a cool mod, thanks!
6647caa735d16
👍 Malba TahanQuote

Quote by Kolya:
1) Did you use the cdshock.exe from System Shock Portable? I'm asking because it already had  a hex fix applied (for the com port error) and it would be nice to keep that fix.
No, I used the original CDSHOCK.EXE from Looking Glass Technologies. You know, I figured out that the COM port error could be eliminated by only removing the "inp6d -1" line from CYB.CFG. But I decided to apply an hex fix anyways, so it wouldn't annoy anyone who still had that (cyberman related??) line in their configuration file.

Quote by Kolya:
2) XCYB.CFG contains solely the new keybinds, so I assume CYB.CFG is still used for other settings, like soundcard, etc?
Yes, I decided to leave CYB.CFG untouched so you could go back to the original CDSHOCK.EXE anytime. But remember that XCYB.CFG does not contain only keybindings, it contains some other configuration as well, like "inverted" mouse sensitivity for resolutions higher than 320x200 and mlook sensitivity.

Quote by Kolya:
3) May I include your modification in System Shock Portable at a later date with appropriate credit?
Of course you can, but I'd like to clean up a little bit the CDSHOCK.EXE that I uploaded yesterday. It's full of debugging functions that I've disabled for this build, but they're still there! And there are some bugs too. By the way, if anyone finds any bugs, I'd appreciate to know about them!

I'm happy you all enjoyed my mod. I've really spent a long time doing it. I've never player System Shock (well, never past that first blue laser shooting gun in the first level), because I thought that I really needed mouselook to fully enjoy it. Now that mouselook is implemented, It's time to play! :) See ya!
6647caa735ebf
KolyaQuote
Yeah, with the ingame resolution switching I was wondering about mouse sensitivity, then I saw the setting in XCYB.CFG, well done.

The higher resolutions were introduced by ToxicFrog once as you probably know by now. He also provided a patch for 1280x1024 pixel. Did you see this and did you have any luck with that? For some reason I could never get it to work in System Shock Portable.

You're by far not the only one who couldn't get behind the controls. So with your mod a lot more people will be able to enjoy this game. That's cool. :)
6647caa7361e1
Malba TahanQuote

Quote by Kolya:
The higher resolutions were introduced by ToxicFrog once as you probably know by now. He also provided a patch for 1280x1024 pixel. Did you see this and did you have any luck with that? For some reason I could never get it to work in System Shock Portable.
Yes, I based my resolution hacks on his mods. However, I didn't know about that 1280x1024. I didn't know VESA supported such high resolutions! I'll trying to integrate it into XCDSHOCK.EXE now, thanks for the info!!!

Legal stuff

Privacy Policy & Terms of Service Contact