🔒 System Shock Portable taken down - what now for the future of System Shock?

1 Guest is here.
664a896919175
KolyaQuote
@Marvin: I'm less interested in the quantity of players who follow some marketing campaign and bring their consumerist attitude of entitlement with them. Those will almost certainly be disappointed by the lack of flashy graphics, multiplayer and stability at higher resolutions. I'm more interested in the players with a genuine interest who may have something to contribute to this community.

@Yankee I don't think they are incompatible, but I do believe that you should have something to sell if you're going to ask for money. Merely using the rules to your advantage will make you seem clever only to those with the same level of imagination.
Acknowledged by 2 members: Nameless Voice, dan_death
664a896919658
MarvinQuote

Quote by Kolya:
@Marvin: I'm less interested in the quantity of players who follow some marketing campaign and bring their consumerist attitude of entitlement with them. Those will almost certainly be disappointed by the lack of flashy graphics, multiplayer and stability at higher resolutions. I'm more interested in the players with a genuine interest who may have something to contribute to this community.
So ... Steam and GOG users are all shallow idiots if they knew of SSP but decided to buy Shock on those platforms anyway? Don't you think that's a rather extreme point of view? What would you call people like me who were too young at the time and bought a used game box years later on ebay?

Again, I understand your pride about what Systemshock.org stands for but ultimately, if what matters most to you are the games, then yes, the more, the better. Sure, the moment  Shock hits Steam this site may go down and we'll get an influx of stupid posts (I'll donate, but that won't fix the second problem :)) but also a large number of good folk honestly interested in System Shock.
664a896919754
KolyaQuote
No, I don't think that's an extreme point of view. And this isn't about pride but about having a moral compass that isn't just a repetition of the legal/economic system du jour. Because those do change all the time, as they should.
664a896919943
Join2Quote
Well, I think it was well established that Night Dive give few moral fucks after robbing SS2Tool and selling it as their own. Maybe they won't go as far as to interfere with the promising SS1 projects underway, who knows.

GoG/Steam re-releases at least keeps old games relevant in an "official" sense, but said sense means fuck all to me these days as the vast majority of companies seem to only give a shit about the capital. 
SS.org is the legitimate continuation of mostly everything System Shock. Hopefully Night Dive will re-release SS as they are entitled to do and then move on to digging up other old games to sell, leaving this place to do its thing. Glory to the Many.
664a896919a1f
DjantQuote
Honestly I'm more interested to know if they can make the Dark Engine code used in System Shock 2 open source, now that they have all the rights. If Night Dive actually funds a System Shock 3 that can be as good as System Shock 2 then good, but it's debatable if that will happen.

Legal stuff

Privacy Policy & Terms of Service Contact