SS2 Alternate Start

1 Guest is here.
6648ef6b486df
KolyaQuote
I didn't criticize the nostalgia in the least, only the form. If you can write, you can use punctuation. There is no additional barrier to that.

Of course I can imagine going on the training missions. I could also read a sci-fi book and not play a game at all. We are talking about role playing in a video game though. And that means to interactively engage in the actions in a visually presented game-world, as a character in that world.

Imagination still plays a large role, in filling all those gaps and leaps of logic in the game world. But reading a description text and imagining what happened is not playing to the strength of the medium at least and definitely contradictory to the way you role play 99% of this game.

Now let's talk about your definition of modding: You seem to think that any mod, that deviates from the intentions of the original game developers is ludicrous. We have many mods here that go beyond this and I don't see why they shouldn't. It is a 22 years old game. Game design has developed since 1999. And people may just want a change. You don't have to play it. 
6648ef6b48a52
tiphares4Quote

Quote by Kolya:
I think the career selection was a good idea to immersively role play your career, but the execution falls woefully short and ends up being way more cumbersome and confusing than a skill tree.

What it amounts to is being dropped 3 times into the same(ish) corridor and then going through a door, upon which you are still presented with an interface describing anything interesting that may have happened. How is it role play if you can't play your career missions? And it never feels like a year had passed. It's just an annoyingly repetitive dungeon you have to run through to get to the real game.

^this

+ the earth & space station level never occurred to me as especially believable.. they are way too gamey, there is a huge gap between them & the realism / immersion of the von braun
6648ef6b48b96
voodoo47Quote
a mod that makes me skip the macarena bot is not making it to my mod list.
6648ef6b48c3e
KolyaQuote
haha, valid point.
6648ef6b49226
RoSoDudeQuote

Quote by tiphares4:
How strange, it's as if you can read my mind.. i was coming up requesting for exactly such mod for weeks, even made screenshots of the mission summary screens to suggest using them as 2D-replacement for the 3D-character generation.. The 3D character-generation of ss2 was always a huge immersion breaking point for me (similar to the Qbr-devices).

thank you, thank you

it would be cool if there was a 2D-character generation using an interface graphically based on the mission summary screens..

edit: oh. i've expected the earth level to be skipped too.. it would be cool to choose the skills via 2D-menu, and be immediately thrown right into the game..

The main purpose was to give more flexibility in your starting choices, but I've heard several players say similar things about the character creation sequence feeling out of place, so I'm happy I can offer some value to you there. Personally I've always liked choosing mission postings to decide my character attributes, but saw value in a mod like this anyway for returning players.

I'm quite limited in what I can change about the game's opening. The first map that the game loads has to be earth.mis, and I learned that I couldn't even fully skip station.mis without irreparably breaking the user interface or the player's inventory in some way (depending on how I configured it, on loading MedSci I could have no UI, no available inventory squares, or a working inventory but no ability to pick up nanites/cyber modules/keycards/logs). Hence why the mod has to load station.mis for a split second before moving on. Designing a new interface that manages character creation (such as selecting careers and missions or skills and starting items) is out of the question as far as my abilities are concerned.

As for the rest of the "feedback" in this thread: LOL

Legal stuff

Privacy Policy & Terms of Service Contact