🔒 GMDX: Deus Ex Mod.

2 Guests are here.
◀◀Page: 130/297▶▶
6647de2e2a7be
System ShockedQuote
Congratulations and superb work !  :thumb:
6647de2e2aab4
Join2Quote
Interest for this mod has dropped from what it used to be on systemshock.org, and it isn't surprising as this community is dedicated to System Shock, not Deus Ex (even if they are blood brothers), but since there's been no word here since v8.0 release I'm just going to notify you what the verdict on GMDX is:

Aggregated review rating is 9.7/10.
Winner of Moddb's 2014 Mod of the Year Wordly Award.
Review excerpts:

"In conclusion this must be the one of most impressive mods done to Deus ex ever, if not The Mod one must have to really experience the game as it was intended."
-gbamabougou

"This is easily one of the best mods for any game I've ever played."
-jcelios

"I can honestly say that GMDX represents the definitive Deus Ex experience."
-Wildcat Phoenix

"Best Deus Ex mod ever released."
-Silenc3r

"GMDX is, essentially, the ultimate Deus Ex experience."
-jose21crisis

"This is easily one of the best mods ever made for the original Deux Ex."
-rubbalubbadubdub

Source of these excerpts: http://www.moddb.com/mods/gmdx/reviews/page/2

I've also got a patch & Russian localization in the works.
6647de2e2abf3
voodoo47Quote
damn, knew I've been forgetting something.
6647de2e2addd
voodoo47Quote
it is time - about 30 minutes into the first level, this is what I've got;

the bad:
-needs to be run as admin, does nothing if not ran as one. probably not something that can be fixed from your side.
-aaargh the custom UI themes popping onto me after first run. I know, two clicks to disable, but being greeted by the classic would be preferable.
-mantling, while very welcome as a mechanic, is just awkward, especially for someone used to the smoothness of the NewDark mantle.
-some hires assets feel slightly too hires for their own good, but I acknowledge that this is probably just a matter of adjusting my eyes a bit. they also make the remaining unupgraded vanilla assets stick out like a sore thumb (the bushes vs trees).
-woah, running around crouched is fast (no augs, no skills). was it that fast in vanilla? would tone it down one way or another. //looks like I have some sort of fps limit problem, the entire game is running too fast. //yep, and the game just ignores all my attempts to limit the fps, forcing me to run in win9x compatibility mode, which does fix the problem (not liking that too much, but I've little choice. I'm on win7, btw). one would expect that this would be the first thing the updated renderer would fix, but guess not.
-ran into (what I believe is) a bug, the crossbow received from Paul has 4 trq darts loaded, and after acquiring more trq darts, the weapon wouldn't see the extra rounds (and refuse to reload) until I changed to a different ammo and back to trq.

the good:
-generally, the upgraded visuals fell nice and smooth.
-more stuff around/less emptiness/slight expansions of some areas have done the game good (so far).
-combat feels less awkward.
-I don't mind the extra weapons so far.
-it's good to have mantle.
-enjoying the bugfixes and fixed exploits.

more to come.
6647de2e2b48c
Join2Quote

Quote by voodoo47:
-mantling, while very welcome as a mechanic, is just awkward, especially for someone used to the smoothness of the NewDark mantle.

Really? But Shock mantling is too smooth and unnatural. You just interpolate straight up and then straight forward in a robotic linear motion, no camera interpolation effects, no animation, no audio effects...
I've recently improved the mantling further too, which you can see here (note the OP Blink augmentation in that video will not officially be in the mod, it was just an experiment).

-some hires assets feel slightly too hires for their own good, but I acknowledge that this is probably just a matter of adjusting my eyes a bit. they also make the unupgraded vanilla assets stick out like a sore thumb (the bushes vs trees).

Yeah...visually speaking Deus Ex will never be modded as uniformly-focused and consistently as this community has for Shock, but I've tried to make things a bit more consistent.

-woah, running around crouched is fast (no augs, no skills). was it that fast in vanilla? would tone it down one way or another.

I'll check the relevant code.

-ran into (what I believe is) a bug, the crossbow received from Paul has 4 trq darts loaded, and after acquiring more trq darts, the weapon wouldn't see the extra rounds (and refuse to reload) until I changed to a different ammo and back to trq.

Yeah, just fixed this the other day.

the good:
-generally, the upgraded visuals fell nice and smooth.
-more stuff around/less emptiness/slight expansions of some areas have done the game good (so far).
-combat feels less awkward.
-I don't mind the extra weapons so far.
-it's good to have mantle.
-enjoying the bugfixes and fixed exploits.

The weapons in hindsight I think were out of place (regarding art style only) and I removed them in the latest unreleased build. I want it to be perfect, nothing should feel out of place, as if this were the work of the developers themselves had they continued building, much the same as things generally go around here although with perhaps a slightly less purist approach, more a progressive one, like say Secmod. Most people feel I've already succeeded in that, but there's some inconsistencies and I think this was one of them. Saying that the additional weapons in Secmod feel a bit out of place visually too, but of course they improve the gameplay on a basic level.

Anyway, refer to this for info on how to use the new player-controlled mechanics that are not explained in-game, like new inventory shortcuts that make things a lot less tedious, and zooming in/out with scopes. Also check out the rest of the stuff on the site if you want a refresher on the stuff the mod does. Not everything is listed, but that's the majority of it.
◀◀Page: 130/297▶▶

Legal stuff

Privacy Policy & Terms of Service Contact