🔒 SS1 EE Reactor code randomization fix

1 Guest is here.
6646d9c46fbba
dertsehaQuote
Correct.
archive.dat has a fix built into Citadel. (To be technically correct, the code is not set at the start of the game, it is being generated while the player runs through levels 1 and 2). When this is used, the tool reactor-rng is not necessary.

When starting the game with the vanilla archive.dat, then you need to run reactor-rng on the save-games.
Acknowledged by: voodoo47
6646d9c46fcf0
voodoo47Quote
thanks - and moved to LG Classics.
Acknowledged by: dertseha
6646d9c46fdcc
JDoranQuote
Thanks for this, Dertseha!
6646d9c46fedd
TurboSnailQuote
Hi,

Thanks for your work!

When I use the "archive.dat" and start a New Game the Data Reader hardware will not stay in the Item sub-windows. It will quickly change back to the Weapon display. This occurs if I select the "E" hud item or select the "Data Reader" from the Hardware tab. All other "Hardware" seem to work ok and stays in the Item sub-windows. Any clues of how to fix this? Thanks!

File versions:
"archive.dat" [CRC-32: c310807a]
"sshock.exe" [CRC-32: 32d28255]
"sshock.dat" [CRC-32: d4cd1261]
6646d9c4703bd
dertsehaQuote

Quote by TurboSnail:
When I use the "archive.dat" and start a New Game the Data Reader hardware will not stay in the Item sub-windows.
Thank you for this finding! This is very annoying, yes.

I've made some tests and this issue is not related to the enhanced edition, it also happens with the original release. Whatever was selected previously in one of the side-MFDs, it is immediately reactivated. One also can't trick it by preapring the "Item" view (which the data reader uses) on either sides.

The bad news is that at the moment I don't know what specifically causes it. It is related to the reactor fix, yet I don't understand why it happens in order to fix that.
The good news is that this "only" happens during levels 1 and 2 - and only the first times around. As soon as you have reached level 3 or R the MFD will behave normally - even when going back to 1 or 2. (This because the "fix" is inactive at this point - the reactor code has been finalized)

In order to work with the data reader, for now I can only offer you to quickly click on the emails/log/data buttons before the side-MFD switches back. You can achieve that by moving the mouse cursor to the suspected button position, and then pressing the number 8 on the keyboard, which also activates the data reader. Then immediately click on the button before it disappears.
Or use the vanilla archive.dat, save the game right after starting, and run the console-utility on this savegame file.

I'm sorry, this is bad quality control on my part.
First I'll have to figure out why this happens, and then try to circumvent another limitation. Yet I fear that we'll run into the limits of both what can be packed into the archive, and the engine.

Legal stuff

Privacy Policy & Terms of Service Contact