🔒 Character modelling questions

1 Guest is here.
664724dcb7cba
RocketManQuote
Where did you get your limit planes from?  Which model did you use?  The Garret model doesn't do that to the wrists.  I've imported a few AIs using it and though they're far from perfect they don't have any weird joint angles like what the screenshot shows.

Those are some very nice concept shots btw. Stylistically, they look a bit too deliberately scary though.  I think it's the eyes.

I would consider using the default Garret .e file converted to bin to get the planes.  Delete G and replace him with your model but don't move the planes.  Try to fit the model to the planes instead and ensure that they intersect the model at the same angles they did for G.  This is just a thought of how you could troubleshoot.  If you do it this way and still have problems at least you can narrow it down to poly count and positioning.
664724dcb7e76
voodoo47Quote
one thing that needs to be brought to attention, I believe - in the original game, only Diego actually had his own model and texture, even though there were quite a few characters that would deserve to have one as well - for example Bronson, Watts, Yang, Polito, Delacroix, maybe even some mutated characters, like Turnbull, Miller, or Bloome. it would be really awesome to actually be able to recognize them (this is one of the main issues of Rebirth - thanks to the hipoly models, they look nothing like the portraits in the audiologs).
664724dcb7f56
RocketManQuote
Well from doing the Bloome mod, I realize this is totally possible.  You just need to create 1 new instance of a crewmember and give it a unique model.  It's relatively trivial to do once you have the mesh and texture.
664724dcb80b7
MarceloQuote
I've been tweaking a bit with Mesh Lab to create a higher poly Mesh of the Crew Members but I have no idea How to convert a .cal to an obj or an obj mesh to a cal so I'm using a Thief Model, divided and using the original skin with spotlight to create the texture. I assume 3d Max converts objs to cal 3d? If anybody knows an easy way let me know. This is what I've done so far, please be gentle, this is my first model. :/  I'm trying to keep the 90's feel to the meshes combined with the vanilla skin.

Image: http://i45.tinypic.com/6husma.jpg

664724dcb8249
RocketManQuote
1.  Do all your modelling work in your editor of choice.... check
2.  Export your model in .3ds format... incomplete
3.  Use "3ds to bin" in the ShockED toolkit to convert the 3ds file to bin format... incomplete*

*During the conversion process, the tool will detect that you have an AI mesh and it will generate the .cal file when it creates the bin file.  You don't have to do anything manually.  To convert from .bin/.cal back to .3ds, just make sure both the bin and cal are present in the same folder and run the 3dstobin tool again, this time opening the bin file and selecting 3ds as your output (Save As).

Be advised that Rebirth redoes the crewmembers and they are one of the more common AIs seen ingame so whatever you do would have the rival the level of quality in Rebirth.  Don't let that deter you.  Just saying it's not going to be easy.

EDIT:  Can't believe I actually said that.  Musta been on crack.

Legal stuff

Privacy Policy & Terms of Service Contact