📌 SS1src: Modding Tools: InkyBlackness

2 Guests are here.
6634ff83c3e4d
dertsehaQuote
Hello there, Anon, thank you for your message. And yes, you are in one of the right places :)
First of all, I'm with you, the whole thing could be way more performant. Lack of "optimized graphics thinking" and "feature/time pressure" are probably the main causes.

I don't remember precisely why I'm using OpenGL 3.2, at least it's one of the earliest versions to properly support the "core" profile. It might be because I wanted to make use of single-color-channel textures to have palette bitmaps be rendered by the shader. If memory serves right, this is not available in earlier versions. Sure, things can be handled differently.
As for overkill: The editor is surely not using the full featureset of that API. Though, the API itself is probably hardly the issue. I'm pretty sure if I were to port the usage to, say, 2.1, the performance would still suck (if not worse) :)

I believe all of the versions draw a lot of resources. The main culprit is the implementation of the map renderer, which needs to render the 64x64 tiles with all the objects.

I'm sorry I can't help you further. I also can't tell you when I would be able to tackle this. There's a lot of things to do, and little & undeterministic free time available for this hobby project.
6634ff83c4182
dertsehaQuote
This one took a while. HackEd v1.4.0 has been released and I'm very happy to have finally included a movie editor!

Also included are an editor for the sound effects, as well as native file/folder browse dialogs for import/export.

All of this comes paired with a first showcase of movie editing: My first true "mod", System Shock: Female Hacker. (I'm still waiting on moddb to accept my release article there, after which I'll add a separate thread for this.)
Acknowledged by 2 members: voodoo47, JosiahJack
6634ff83c433e
JosiahJackQuote
Pony tail seems a little short, but otherwise not too shabby.  I'm not sure how I feel about it but I spose it's cool.  Do you have the pain sound separate for download?
6634ff83c4447
dertsehaQuote
The readme of the mod contains the link, and here for ease of use: https://freesound.org/people/Reitanna/sounds/242623/
6634ff83c4807
dertsehaQuote
GameState editing! HackEd v1.5.0 has been released with the capabilities to change the game state - even the starting state for fan missions!

The two major features:
First: Allow for GameState override for fan missions - let the protagonist start on a different level, with different inventory, and also have the variables have a different value.
Sadly, this is only for supporting engines, which currently is only the Source Port. Shockolate does not support this yet, and has received a feature request. (Thinking about it, perhaps this could be my first ticket to finally get hacking on there as well...)

This feature also allows for "New Game Plus" missions! To get people started, I created a template project, available here.

Second: Load and edit savegames. This can help struggling players, and also aid in looking for another case of "deleted plot items".

[edit]Oh, the static resources can now also load the source port "sshock.kpf" file, which is a ZIP file in disguise that contains all the resource files.[/edit]

In other news, since I was working on the "mod-examples" project, I updated both the "Cortex Reaver Challenge", as well as the "Museum" missions to have mission.as files for Source-Port.

Since I also figured out a way to let the Source Port load mod/mission files without having to rename the resource files, I documented the recommended project layout in the Wiki as well.
This allows to run the editor and the engine in parallel, without the constant need of renaming/copying files.

What's up next? I have no idea. There are still things like editing of 3D objects or fonts missing, yet there are also a many many feature requests from users. Next to my own unhappyness of the internal structure to "easily" implement these feature requests... All combined with little time to follow up on this.
Acknowledged by 2 members: voodoo47, JosiahJack

Legal stuff

Privacy Policy & Terms of Service Contact