665af7f7a9c26

665af7f7aa883
1 Guest is here.

Topic: is system shock 3 out yet?
Page: « 1 ... 6 [7] 8 »
Read 15814 times  

665af7f7ab080voodoo47

665af7f7ab0e0
they need to ditch the yellow/brown hue. those aren't the colors of System Shock.

also, not sure about the Cortex Reaver - some old AIs definitely should see a comeback, but the Reaver, well, no idea how they want to fit it in so things would make sense. an updated Cyborg Assassin would be a much better choice.

just go do new stuff, this isn't supposed to be (another) SS1 remake.
Acknowledged by 2 members: ThiefsieFool, RocketMan
665af7f7ab2ed
System Shock 3 have some things to do. Make game more complex than System Shock 2, with more possible classes and ways to finish, tons of skills and things to learn attached to different classes - MORE THAN IN SS2 and multiple ways to finish game to try-out most of possibilites and further mix them together for different experience for each replay. Game should require intelligence most of time more than previous SS. If this game willl head up all other titles 20 years + like other system shock does - this game must be complex - more complex in hardness and possibilities to finish than previous system shock games. Yes. Unity engine is disadvantage ! This is slow amatourish engine. Game could be amazing in efficiency on Unreal Engine 4.  Anyway there is a lot things that could be done to make this game better and more complex amazing feel and shocking - everything is on shocking atmosphere created by sci-fi environment and complex gameplay with tons of replayability and things to discover by different classes. There neeed to be that fast futuristic raw electronick music when needed and psychodelic ambiences music when needed. Most part should be based on environment sounds of background not music itself. Game should be harder by inteeligence to solving problems required with lot of possibilities to replay different way even with same classes i guess - more little in classes decisions in gameplay.

665af7f7ab3e5
We want to be shocked and afraid of science possibilities that Shodan show us in game and environment more than ever. It must be more shocking more scary more paranod game than ever.
665af7f7ab559
Most important is to realize by creators - System Shock 2 is not scary casue of realistic graphic no. System Shock 2 is scary cause of realistic experience from start to beginning. this is almost like trip by space airlines into the nightmare of science and possibilities. each story detail is involved into gameplay and locations are not level but functional places used as gameplay arena which stilll occurs science reasons to do things which all make this game so realistic and scary and immersive at ssame time. We have not to feel System Shock 3 is game. System Shock 3 from A-Z like System Shock 2 must be real experience that we forgot it's game - for us it must be fully realistic in depth shocking experience in each minute of game.
665af7f7ab654
They should resign from Unity toy. This is most what concern me. Unity.

665af7f7ab6ebvoodoo47

665af7f7ab734
yeah, as mentioned over at TTLG, 10 bucks they will end up using UE anyway.

665af7f7ab8ebicemann

665af7f7ab940
Unreal is a pain in the ass to use, and is quite slow when compared to Unity. I am not a fan.

Though I'm saying this having spent the past 3 days marking assignments done in it (Unreal), where often what my students did on their end, on my end had completely different results. Unity I've never had that problem with.
665af7f7abac3
System Shock 2... System Shock 2... Why always SS2. SS1 is better. No classes. No skills. No PSI powers.

665af7f7abb98voodoo47

665af7f7abbe2
weeell, the metascore is 85 vs 92, so there's that. it's apples vs oranges as far as I'm concerned, but I have to admit that I'm more on the SS2 side of things, probably because the second (golden) age of 3D acceleration (voodoo1 - voodoo3) is my favorite era (the inability to use full mouselook until SHLink also played a role, I've been very mouselook oriented since Doom times).

665af7f7abe1dSynaesthesia

• Company: Night Dive Studios
665af7f7abe7c
>Unreal is a pain in the ass to use, and is quite slow when compared to Unity. I am not a fan.

Hard disagree here. I've been using Unreal for 11 years now since it was still called UDK running Unreal 3. Every game I've worked on with Unity has been a major pain in the arse. Every project I've had to develop for Unity's marketplace has been annoying due to a lack of simple support for features that almost every other renderer supports, such as backface culling. Try making a plant in Unity without duplicating faces before exporting, using third-party plugins, or delving into code. Support for simple things like backface culling options are non-existent, at least from what I was able to gather when I built a couple of marketplace packs.

Unity isn't bad, it's just something I prefer to avoid working with at all costs and isn't something I enjoy using. I would not be working on the Shock remake if it were in Unity simply because I don't like working with engines that limit my ability to create shader networks, or require plugins to allow for refined control of materials.

665af7f7ac02eicemann

665af7f7ac082
Well I went into learning about UE with a completely open mind, considering I've been watching the streams since the beginning. UE looked awesome in those. I'm going completely by personal experience with it currently. I received 14 assignments this week, all done in that, and of those 14 only 6 worked without issue. The rest have been a "pain in the arse" and then some. Refuse to compile in Visual Studio, wont compile within UE. Where as they work fine on the students end. Grrrrr.

And then if you update to the latest version of UE then you need VS 2017 or newer, and the newer versions of VS check for additional stuff that the earlier versions didn't (eg circular dependencies, something called a "illegal qualified name in member declaration" etc).

I've never had this particular issue ever happen to me with any other program. Unity I used when I was in student, and we could share projects between us no problem. Worked in it for a paid job once, no problems (besides having to research how to do stuff).

Where as with UE, if someone gives me a project, and it's done in a lower version of UE to me, or Visual Studio, then I have to update it, which opens the door to the above errors occuring. Grrr. It's just really damn frustrating. I just like to download something and for it to just work, without much troubleshooting required. If it works on their end, and behaves a certain way, then it should be the exact same on my end, not counting frame rate.
« Last Edit: 07. May 2019, 18:29:51 by icemann »

665af7f7ac247JosiahJack

665af7f7ac295
Oh boy here we go.  They all suck because they don't support SEUS PTGI  :thumb:   :headshot:  :lordy:

Really though, they are both good at producing great graphics at terrible framerates, or great performance with meh graphics, and both have terrible tools for controlling the rendering pipeline though Unity has made great strides in that regard.  Unreal has good lighting.  Unity baking is broken.  Unreal has terrible UI.  Unity has terrible outofthebox performance.  Unreal has terrible support for 2D.  Unity has terrible support for FPS basics (unless you know what you are doing which takes for ever until you do).  They both are terrible but tied.  If you have good shaders then either is fine.  Neither has a simple realtime approximated blended time accumulated path traced lighting solution as elegant as PTGI.

665af7f7ac34dicemann

665af7f7ac397
Why would anyone do a 2D game in Unreal? 2.5 D sure. I'd pick Unity, game maker or going with your own engine (as I've been doing) for anything 2D.

665af7f7ac77edatiswous

665af7f7ac82e
Why would anyone do a 2D game in Unreal? 2.5 D sure. I'd pick Unity, game maker or going with your own engine (as I've been doing) for anything 2D.

I heard the Godot engine is very good for 2D, much better than Unity.

665af7f7ac8dbicemann

665af7f7ac92c
Game Maker or going with your own engine is often the better choice there.

665af7f7acba4SimulationUnit

665af7f7acc30
No and their official discord just shut down after someone hacked it trying to get at me after I posted my VR shit.
« Last Edit: 06. January 2020, 01:55:36 by SimulationUnit »
665af7f7ad03d
4 months ago:
We are happy to announce that Tencent will be taking the System Shock franchise forward.

665af7f7ad3c1unn_atropos

665af7f7ad41f
19 years ago:
This video content was associated with the System Shock 3 Conversion project, which was a mod of Half-Life that was being worked on in early 2001, and hosted by ttlg.com/sshl (Through The Looking Glass official site). The short teaser video is included here and features music mixed by me, Scott Carmichael. It is the earliest video game video I recorded/created and still have access to.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oo4NIgnRjaA

665af7f7ad4c8icemann

665af7f7ad520
EA soon after went after them, if I remeber right.

665af7f7ad7c7ZylonBane

665af7f7ad823
I guess someone didn't want people to see that video anymore.
665af7f7ada4c
Now, a government agency want to know how Tencent are handling the security of Americans’ personal data.
Probably better than you are?

665af7f7adb10icemann

665af7f7adb5a
Its quite scary how all the major Chinese companies share user data (with the Chinese government) and have a habit of censoring games that they buy the rights to.

I recall reading about the purchase of a 2D fighting game (by a Chinese company) and soon after all characters from Tibet and Taiwan were either renamed or removed.
« Last Edit: 19. September 2020, 13:43:41 by icemann »
1 Guest is here.
Bring Cherlene back!
Contact SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2016, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies
FEEP
665af7f7ae982