665b2c06a78d3

665b2c06a8953
3 Guests are here.

Topic: is system shock 3 out yet?
Page: « 1 ... 4 [5] 6 ... 8 »
Read 15841 times  

665b2c06a91baJosiahJack

665b2c06a9216
Huh so they're using Unity for SS3...cool.  I wonder how well it will run if they are targetting a high graphics fidelity.  I haven't found a good way to get high performance (e..g. > 100fps)....well there's light baking of course but it's so horribly broken that I'm using all realtime lights.

665b2c06a92e5lastonearound

665b2c06a934c
I wish System Shock 3 was on UE4 instead of Unity. With SS1 being remade in UE4 and Unreal Engine being superior to Unity in many ways, it would have been both much nicer and a lot more consistent. But I am happy SS3 is being made at all.
665b2c06a96ba
But I am happy SS3 is being made at all.

I'm only happy if it turns out worthy of the big name. At this point my gut feeling is telling me something else though.

665b2c06a97davoodoo47

665b2c06a9837
it ain't stepping out of SS2 shadow, that's for sure.

665b2c06a9a88lastonearound

665b2c06a9ae0
I would say the general idea they have about the game's setting, at least as far as they revealed, could be (at least potentially) great. I like the fact that survivors from the previous games will appear in this one, including Hacker and Googles. And I don't hate the ending they used for SS2 as a story base. (Though I would have liked it a lot more if they kept the ending of SS2 more vague instead of deciding on a canon ending, respecting player decision from the previous games is important.)

I really like what I see with SS1 remake, for me it looks just right. (I really hope they will remake SS2 as well) I was doubtful about their decision to move on a different engine but they proved their point. We all knew UE4 was a better engine already. Unity has a way of making games look... aged and a bit dull, even when they are new. SS3 looking worse than SS1 remake, I am not sure how I would feel about that. (I really dislike the engine choice) Also gameplay wise it will feel inconsistent no matter what. Not to mention I read somewhere that Citadel will somehow make an appearance in SS3, yet they are bound to look different than the remake which will create even more inconsistencies. I wish they would ditch it and move on to a better engine, preferably UE4. (Which could be impossible, but it is hard to tell, since I have absolutely no idea how far along they are)

I don't know, I guess time will tell. In a great world, it would turn out to be an epic tale which would surpass both SS1 and SS2, but  things have a way of going fubar with game development. (Not to mention game developers have a way of being out of touch with what they are making.)

665b2c06a9c03icemann

665b2c06a9c4f
Your saying a lot of info on SS3 I've not heard before. Insider info from somewhere?

Considering the time difference between SS1, SS2 and this one, wouldnt the hacker be an old man? Since when was Goggles and the hacker said to be in the game?

665b2c06a9dc6lastonearound

665b2c06a9e12
All of the information I mentioned is directly from the developers (you know, from old interviews and such). They did outright state almost all of this and it was discussed on these forums before.

https://www.polygon.com/features/2016/8/30/12700542/system-shock-3-art

The only thing I mentioned but they never outright stated is the game engine thing. But they made their engine choice obvious when they released this information on their site : "News and Visuals" for System Shock 3 to Be Revealed During Unity's GDC Keynote on March 18th".

And yeah, Hacker would be an old man, but maybe he didn't age that much, he is fully upgraded and it is the future after all.

665b2c06aa679RocketMan

665b2c06aa6d2
Way too short to form any kind of opinion but my first impression is:

1) Reminds me of some ID game or Deadspace or something like that (screaming zombie attack)
         a) P.S. What's with the hell portal in the background??
2) Too low-contrast photo-realistic for my taste in a game like this
3) Nothing stands out as 'not recycled'
        a) but I have to admit the Cortex Reaver has a menacing animation to it

Maybe they should have chose a better 3 scenes?
« Last Edit: 19. March 2019, 01:50:28 by RocketMan »

665b2c06aa7efZylonBane

665b2c06aa846
Night Dive's System Shock remake is looking pretty great!

Wait, what?
Acknowledged by 2 members: voodoo47, JosiahJack
665b2c06aab60
The teaser looks good actually. I just hope they can keep the creepyness and atmosphere from SS2.. I have yet to play any game that comes close to SS2 in that regard really (and i miss it)

665b2c06aac15voodoo47

665b2c06aac6b
we need to find that ONE person on the planet who can get Shodan's face right. I mean, there HAS to be one somewhere, right?

also, ten bucks that they're going to switch to UE at some point.
« Last Edit: 19. March 2019, 08:48:37 by voodoo47 »
665b2c06aad87
A little bit too dark and too much contrast.
Shodan's face and the animation doesn't look right.
Doesn't look like AAA yet.

These are of course just cosmetic things. I'm quite sure the game will be good.
665b2c06ab10a
Spector's keynote starts at 1:28:02
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YlcX-O7fRic

:stroke: At 1:28:55 there is screenshot of Half-Life 2?????

665b2c06ab2b4lastonearound

665b2c06ab303
I know in all likelihood nothing is final and I don't want to say anything bad about it just yet, but to me everything about it looks a bit off. It seems like it should be amazing, but it just isn't. (I find myself more hyped about SS1 remake than this, which is weird)

Since it is just a teaser it is probably pre-rendered with lots of effects and filters and whatnot, yet it still doesn't look all that great. As I stated before, Unity has a way of making games look and perform terrible. (Unity is a great engine for small developers and beginners, but it is not a proper engine for big budget AAA titles.)

Shodan looks really terrible. What the hell is wrong with her nose? Seriously, why is it so wide?

I know not everyone liked it, but I had actually liked the SS3 concept art of Shodan. It made sense within the story they are going for (I thought since she downloaded her conscientiousness into Rebecca Siddons, it is not just Shodan's face, it is a mix of Shodan and Rebecca Siddons's face and that made some sense.)

Even this looks better,

But in the teaser, her face looks plain wrong.

665b2c06ab39fvoodoo47

665b2c06ab3f0
that last one is actually decent.
Acknowledged by 3 members: fox, icemann, hemebond

665b2c06ab4b1lastonearound

665b2c06ab505
Well, I suppose my point was "anything looks better than what we saw in the teaser" because in the teaser she looks like an ogre.

665b2c06ab98aRocketMan

665b2c06ab9e5
What the hell is wrong with her nose? Seriously, why is it so wide?

Thank you.  I didn't want to pick on a detail like that but I noticed it immediately.

665b2c06abb62Vegoraptor

665b2c06abbb7
I don't know all that much about modern videogame development, but isn't it common practice nowadays to mocap the voiceactors' faces? Because it feels like they either animated Shodan by hand, or just synced it up poorly. That hybrid-necromorph-whatever looks quite clunky as well.
When you really get down to it, I feel like there are quite a lot of parallels between SS and Dead Space, so while evoking memories of it is not necessarily a good sign, it probably isn't a bad one either.

665b2c06abe55RocketMan

665b2c06abea5
A little bit too dark and too much contrast.

Too much contrast???  I felt it was precisely the opposite.  Unless I'm confusing contrast and saturation.  The whole thing seemed washed out and bland compared to the crisp, colourful scenes we're used to from the last 2 games.  That's why I described it as photo-realistic because it has that aesthetic but that's now what System Shock has felt like.  You could say that was a limitation of the old technology, fine, but that doesn't mean the new stuff has to look different just because it can.  Tron 2.0 didn't have to look the way it did - the tech could have achieves more realism, but I'm glad they didn't try to do that because the aesthetic they went for instead was perfectly appropriate. 

Here it seems like something has been lost, with all the fancy Unity realism they've layered on top.
3 Guests are here.
Cannibalism?!?!? thats pretty fucked up
Contact SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2016, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies
FEEP
665b2c06acf60