6632e2f812cd6
1 Guest is here.

Topic: SS1 System Shock ReWired v1.32 Fan Mission Read 13454 times  

6632e2f813a923RDplayer

6632e2f813b39
Tags: °SS1 FM

// SYSTEM SHOCK: REWIRED
by the_3rdplayer

System Shock: Rewired is the very first full fan made singleplayer campaign for the original System Shock in over 24 years! 3 brand new levels with branching paths, 4 new cyberspace sections, new puzzles, brand new soundtrack by SpeedySPCFan, new fully voiced audiologs, new on-screen text and so much more awaits in the now dark corridors of the hospital ship UNN Bismarck. Playable with all existing versions of System Shock (Enhanced Edition recommended). What are you waiting for? SHODAN waits for your return! And she is eager to end your - in her opinion - useless existence.

// DOWNLOAD v1.30: https://www.moddb.com/mods/sshockrewired/downloads/version1

// MOD FEATURES
- 3 new Real World, 4 new Cyberspace Levels
- Fully Voiced Audiologs in English
- English & German Text-Language
- New MFD Art (Faces, SHODAN)
- Brand New Soundtrack by SpeedySPCFan

ReWired's .zip-file comes with two packages:
- PACKAGE A for any previous System Shock Release (cd-rom; floppydisk; ssp)
- PACKAGE B for Enhanced Edition (Sourceport Update) Get it here!
Follow the installation_instructions.txt inside the .zip-file for the package you want to install!

// BUGS
- It might happen that the SHODAN critter sprite becomes invisible but she will still sit on her throne, so keep shooting if that happens.

// CREDITS (THANK YOU)
Alex R. Cunha Lima from Nightdive Studios for ironing out some bugs
@dertseha for his tools that made this mod even possible
@SpeedySPCFan for creating a custom soundtrack
¯\_(=\)_/¯ as my co-writer
Nightdive Studios for preserving the game

// DISCLAIMER
No Hopper got harmed during the production of this fanmission.
« Last Edit: 22. October 2022, 12:26:55 by Moderator »
Acknowledged by 3 members: fox, unn_atropos, Join

6632e2f8141ec3RDplayer

Re: SS1 Fan Mission System Shock ReWired
6632e2f8142d5
the built in FM selector in the SS EE SP (System Shock Enhanced Edition Source Port) doesn't seem to be compatible though (or working at all after the last update, for that matter). lets hope they'll fix it - having to mess around with game files is a sure-proof way of deterring users from trying it out.
^ Yes, the sourceport beta as well as Interrupts Shockolate sourceport aren't supported yet.
So where is this mod set? Citadel? Another station?
From the release article on ModDB:
...a brand new story with 3 new real world and 4 new cyberspace levels in this Singleplayer campaign taking place on the Hospital Ship UNN Bismarck.
« Last Edit: 30. June 2018, 11:30:07 by Moderator »
6632e2f8144de
Haven't played it yet but thank you for creating and sharing new content!

6632e2f814645voodoo47

6632e2f8146a5
added a short clip and a few screenshots. and yeah, SS EE SP doesn't work properly, the game crashes as soon as you frob the piece of paper behing the table seen on the second screenshot.
« Last Edit: 30. June 2018, 12:14:43 by voodoo47 »

6632e2f81482bJosiahJack

6632e2f814885
This was awesome...writeup coming later.  Psst, 3RD, a couple logs in the beginning had "neurosurgery" missing the "ry" at the end.  Still haven't made it past the throne room cyberspace.  The cyberspace in this is ridiculously hard.  Way too many mines and one pair of hunter killers is tough let alone them and 5 cyber dogs.

voodoo47, I think you found a similar unrecognizable object bug to mine below.  I wonder if the paper points to an incorrect string reference.

BUG: After exiting the last cyberspace, I have a Cyberguard in my General Inventory.  Clicking on it at all causes the game to crash.
« Last Edit: 30. June 2018, 12:55:24 by JosiahJack »

6632e2f814e6f3RDplayer

6632e2f814ecb
This was awesome...writeup coming later.  Psst, 3RD, a couple logs in the beginning had "neurosurgery" missing the "ry" at the end.  Still haven't made it past the throne room cyberspace.  The cyberspace in this is ridiculously hard.  Way too many mines and one pair of hunter killers is tough.

The logs are written in how the characters would speak since there is no audio provided, yet. Some of them are just lazy and use slang instead of saying the full word neurosurgery.

There is 3 ways to go to shodan. And the engineering level is split into 2 sections you cant (and its not needed) enter both of them unless you backtrack. I hope I could create a good replayabillity with this for the otherwise 1 or 2 hour long campaign.

Yes, the mod is not meant to be balanced. At least it is in the beginning but after that it got a intended high difficulty. A cheap way to extend the playtime: Maybe? But better than having a handholding COD experience in my book. And I have seen testers finishing the mod twice with 3;3;3;3 difficulty. So its possible.

Glad you like it!
BUG: After exiting the last cyberspace, I have a Cyberguard in my General Inventory.  Clicking on it at all causes the game to crash.

If you find similar things please leave me a savegame file so I can jump to certain areas.
« Last Edit: 30. June 2018, 13:08:03 by 3RDplayer »

6632e2f8150efJosiahJack

6632e2f815144
This was a lot of fun.  I agree it was better balanced in the beginning and the difficulty ramped up sharply towards the end.  This worked ok since this is a shorter fanmission.  I loved little details like the microwaves in the kitchenette, nice secret areas, the logs were interesting, the escape-the-room type setup at the beginning, and the use of monitors especially the one by the healing machine which reinforced the story with Finn.

I did not like how many cyber mines there were.
I did not like how you were trapped in at the end.
I did not like being unable to go down both paths into the mainframe since you are trapped in.
I did not like how there wasn't a later shortcut between both elevators in Reactor after all the cyber locks.
I did not like not finding the secret passage in the healing suite.

Areas you can't reach?:
• Medical level
- Behind red force door in radiation closet
- Behind green force door for keypad in healing suites
- Past gray maint door in tiny medical area accessed by level 3 yellow door elevator

• Throne Level
- Can't open cells for the remaining Elite Cyborgs

Intentional or am I just dumb?

Also a few typos in the logs:
•Finn-1 should say It's in the healing suites
• Aforementioned neurosurge should probably have an apostrophe added to signal it is slang neurosurge'
•Who are you: "At" should be "That"
•later Shodan logs do not have much stuttering/corruption?

Some bugs/random notes:
Button by reception mentions something about running out of triggers (ok this is kinda fun actually)
The paper on the floor mentioned by voodoo47 works for me, using classic SS Portable
The radiation storage on medical level doesn't have radiation on the ramp or on the upper walkway next to the switch.

Overall very nice and a ton of fun!!

6632e2f815720ZylonBane

6632e2f815788
• Aforementioned neurosurge should probably have an apostrophe added to signal it is slang neurosurge'
"Neurosurge" sounds like a cyberpunk soda. If a real person wanted to shorten that word they'd probably just say "surgery".

6632e2f8158cavoodoo47

6632e2f815926
btw, if you are thinking about adding audio to the logs at some point, TTLG has some really good voiceactors, they did a really good job voicing the Minstrel logs - it's pretty much at the same level as vanilla SS2.

Shodan is always a problem though because you can't make it not cringy without the original voice actress (and that's not happening), that's why I always recommend "no Shodan" for FMs.
« Last Edit: 30. June 2018, 18:25:14 by voodoo47 »

6632e2f81658c3RDplayer

6632e2f8165fe
Thank you for your feedback. Looks like you havent found everything yet. Replayabillity. That is the intention with branching paths and locking you in. It's meant this way. Anti-LGS phylosophy? Maybe. But FMs are not bound to that mentallity and allowed to try out something new. And it invites for replaying it I think. I might add some more cyberspace fragments that give hints for the cyberspace levels in a major update. Since I might have not simplified and easierfied it enough yet.

Areas you can't reach?:
• Medical level
- Behind red force door in radiation closet
- Behind green force door for keypad in healing suites
- Past gray maint door in tiny medical area accessed by level 3 yellow door elevator

• Throne Level
- Can't open cells for the remaining Elite Cyborgs

Medical:
1. ANSWER: There is a button that opens the foor door and extends a bridge. It can only be used with level security of 70% or lower.
2. ANSWER: The green force door opens when level security is 35% or lower. You input the code, and after 10 seconds the elevator moves to a third hidden passage below the ground.
3. ANSWER: This elevator leads to the other side of the hidden passage and the area behind it can only be accessed when solving the hidden passage path

Throne Level (Mainframe)
4. The higher the combat difficulty, the more doors open and the more critters you have to fight. That's why some cages cant be opened.

Some bugs/random notes:
Button by reception mentions something about running out of triggers (ok this is kinda fun actually)
The paper on the floor mentioned by voodoo47 works for me, using classic SS Portable
The radiation storage on medical level doesn't have radiation on the ramp or on the upper walkway next to the switch.

- Running out of triggers: A system shock 2 reference when you are in the cargo bays and push the elevator button and the message says maintenance robot notified but it doesnt come.
- The paper on the floor got REVERSE written on it. It was supposed to be a puzze for the doorcode. But I deemed it too difficult because testers never clicked on it. So I made an audiolog instead thats straight up tells you to reverse 451 to 154. I left the paper in for proof of concept. Might remove it in major update or when the crash of the sourceport when clicking on it can't be solved.
- There is a bug or problem with forcebridges/bridges in general. When placed on a tile with radiation. It will block the radiation effect. Can't change that.

btw, if you are thinking about adding audio to the logs at some point, TTLG has some really good voiceactors, they did a really good job voicing the Minstrel logs - it's pretty much at the same level as vanilla SS2.
Shodan is always a problem though because you can't make it not cringy without the original voice actress (and that's not happening), that's why I always recommend "no Shodan" for FMs.

Thank you for the hint. I am currently having lots of volunteers for audiologs and will fill some of them. I also already thought about to use the Thief Fanmission voiceactor list to look for actors. When I have filled some audiologs with voice actors and still need more, I might see to contact Minstrel or Thief fanmission voiceactors.

6632e2f8167bevoodoo47

6632e2f81681f
the TTLG topic is here. the Minstrel voiceactors were dlw6, Shadow Creepr, and Yandros, each doing voices for two persons. you probably could get away with one actor doing three, but definitely wouldn't recommend more - if you are paying attention, you can recognize this, even in vanilla SS2.

6632e2f8169123RDplayer

6632e2f81697a
v1.2 is out. Found and fixed a gamebreaking bug. A lever was stuck in the wall and couldn't be accessed. It is now moved to the right position.

Due to the nature of the gamefiles, it is required to redownload the mod, reinstall all files AND start a new game for the changes to take effect. I really hate that. But can't be changed.

Acknowledged by: edx

6632e2f816a65voodoo47

6632e2f816abe
yeah, standard stuff. checked quickly, no change on the flickering walls (maybe happening because a floor texture is used on walls?) or the paper read crash (Resource 004A doesn't have index 0001).
« Last Edit: 01. July 2018, 17:46:58 by voodoo47 »

6632e2f81711edertseha

6632e2f817205
no change on the flickering walls (maybe happening because a floor texture is used on walls?)
Nope, textures can be used for both walls and floor/ceilings. The only difference is in them how many are available for each in a level.

... or the paper read crash (Resource 004A doesn't have index 0001).
That's a different description than to those above (frobbing) - do you get this error when trying to read the paper?
If so, did you also overwrite the cybstrng.res file from the package? 004A would mean paper ID 14 (which is within possible ranges), and the main game only uses 10.
(Though, I haven't checked which paper ID the mod actually uses/has prepared)

6632e2f817323voodoo47

6632e2f817380
yeah, overwrote all the files (\SS1EE\res\pc\cdrom\data), and yes, it happens when I try to read the paper. running the steam source port beta, because as with all source ports, you can't really go back once you have a taste.

adding the wall glitch video as well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FlhHOkw3Ono

6632e2f817438dertseha

6632e2f81748e
Can we get a rundown on the used versions with the paper crash? For now it seems more like a source port beta-specific issue.

6632e2f817546voodoo47

6632e2f817592
yes, this is SS EE SP specific, it works ok with plain SS EE. the source port does seem to load the resources from different folders and in a different way, maybe because of the DOS/MAC duality.

the "REVERSE.." text on the paper is located in cybstrng.res?

6632e2f81761eJosiahJack

6632e2f817671
Works fine in ol SS portable that I always use.

6632e2f8179e93RDplayer

6632e2f817a46
Works fine in the CD-rom release (my friend used that) and in floppy too according to another tester.
Axemeleon just told me he could change the game code so that no empty string is required anymore at the end of resources.
Can't test that right now though. The SSEE SP beta might needs to be updated first.

the "REVERSE.." text on the paper is located in cybstrng.res?

Yes

Funnily enough, the REVERSE text is not in the gerstrng.res file. Particularly resources 0x004A and 0x0049 are not in there. Simply because I did forget to add it there.  :D

6632e2f817b2dvoodoo47

6632e2f817b90
I'm thinking cybstrng.res is not getting loaded at all - any way of determining whether it's being used or not? some other texts somewhere, apart of that paper?

6632e2f817e853RDplayer

6632e2f817eed
I'm thinking cybstrng.res is not getting loaded at all - any way of determining whether it's being used or not? some other texts somewhere, apart of that paper?

0. the keypad locked door at the start should say: "use keypad in room to open."
1. the switch in the dark office near the door should say: "The button does nothing." when using it and its title is "LIGHT SWITCH"
2. the blue bulkhead double door near the dark office should say: "the door is in lockdown" when trying to use it
3. the audiologs text,
4. outside in the blue hallway near the reception desk is a big red button that triggers a custom text
« Last Edit: 02. July 2018, 11:13:02 by 3RDplayer »

6632e2f817fb4voodoo47

6632e2f818011
0 - 3 are definitely proper, so the custom cybstrng.res is definitely loaded. guess the paper crash really is some sort of bug, and not a resource problem.
« Last Edit: 02. July 2018, 13:26:45 by voodoo47 »

6632e2f8181a8dertseha

6632e2f8181fb
I have a suspicion regarding these crashing paper texts, which I yet have to cross-check with the original files.

The crash is with a missing Index 1 - not 0. If I remember correctly, the editors (both, right now), only store all the paper text in one block (index 0). Nothing more. It could be that they are handled similar to electronic messages and the engine requires one empty string at the end to terminate the sequence (so, just the string terminator in index 1) - instead of looking at the block-count of the compound resource.

Interesting though that only the source port is affected.

Your name:
This box must be left blank:

How can you challenge a ____, immortal machine? (Fill in the missing word):
1 Guest is here.
I have a collection just like yours, all the most peculiar finds.
Contact SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2016, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies
FEEP
6632e2f819b9c