662eb6ab2d966

662eb6ab2df57
1 Guest is here.

Topic: Custom dynamic music in System Shock 1 Read 3103 times  

662eb6ab2e709
Hi all,

I figure the people here might be interested in this. I'm working on making a custom soundtrack for ReWired and thought it'd be good to post my work on figuring out the custom music format here. I've spent the past few days trying to figure out how the music in the game works - I know it's dynamic, but how exactly everything came together was kind of a mystery to me, but I think I finally figured it out. I put all of the information I've found in this google document here, along with a small guide. It'll probably be always changing until I finish the music for ReWired, but right now I'm happy with it as I've managed to get custom dynamic music finally working in the game.

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1wHkpt9wkHj7dKVpxoNjmrvoanYoWlQqPw5wIvnx9TuM/edit
« Last Edit: 08. September 2018, 10:15:54 by Moderator »

662eb6ab2e85fnintendoeats

662eb6ab2e8cf
I don't have time just now to go through your notes (they look really cool, there is quite a bit in there that I am not familiar with). However, I thought you might be interested in what I have been doing:

https://www.systemshock.org/index.php?topic=10048.0
https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1428252618&tscn=1530878076

662eb6ab2ea8eicemann

662eb6ab2eae1
My assumption is that the music tracks would work similar to how they work in Deus ex (except being midi), where you have a main section that plays in non combat bits and a section which it can jump to dedicated to combat.

662eb6ab2ee32nintendoeats

662eb6ab2ee92
My assumption is that the music tracks would work similar to how they work in Deus ex (except being midi), where you have a main section that plays in non combat bits and a section which it can jump to dedicated to combat.

Kind of, but there are more than 2 sections (Security has 6 variations on the same track!). The ramifications of it being midi allow for some really interesting transitions and such. I don't think that any game audio engine around 1998 would have been able to do the same stuff with LPCM.
662eb6ab2f1b4

Similar, yes. I explain it in the opening of the doc, but the music is separated into two main segments: Normal and Combat. Normal plays during non-combat, and Combat plays during... uh, combat. This only composes 9 of the up-to 49 segments in the music however. There are multiple small tracks that will layer on top of the music dynamically or play during special events, along with a couple of special tracks, like for entering a radiated room or dying.
Every segment is a separate MIDI file, separated as a sub-song in the XMI format.

Deus Ex works different but achieves the same result - the music for that was composed with a tracker, which has parts of music separated into patterns. When the game needs to go into combat, it just calls the appropriate pattern. Deus Ex lacks something that System Shock has though, which is the ability to layer tracks. It can only jump to different segments.

662eb6ab2f486nintendoeats

662eb6ab2f4d5
The music is separated into two main segments: Normal and Combat. Normal plays during non-combat, and Combat plays during... uh, combat. This only composes 9 of the up-to 49 segments in the music however.

According to LoPiccolo those 9 (and it isn't always 9) are not 2 compositions, they are 3. One is for exploration, one is for peril (enemies nearby), one is for active combat. Medbay's third section almost never plays because there is rarely combat significant enough for it in that level.
662eb6ab2fa1b
According to LoPiccolo those 9 (and it isn't always 9)

Thanks for the clarification. I haven't dug further than Medical Suites at the moment since I've been focusing on just getting basic track insertion to work though I suspected that the sub-song locations of Medical Suites aren't the same for the entire game. I'll update the doc with more locations as I get to the tracks.

one is for active combat. Medbay's third section almost never plays because there is rarely combat significant enough for it in that level.

Again, thanks! I'm not exactly sure which segment is peril in Medbay though because none of them are labeled, everything in my Google Doc was done by playing the game and trying to figure out where everything fits.

662eb6ab2fd84nintendoeats

662eb6ab2fdd4
Thanks for the clarification. I haven't dug further than Medical Suites at the moment since I've been focusing on just getting basic track insertion to work though I suspected that the sub-song locations of Medical Suites aren't the same for the entire game. I'll update the doc with more locations as I get to the tracks.

Again, thanks! I'm not exactly sure which segment is peril in Medbay though because none of them are labeled, everything in my Google Doc was done by playing the game and trying to figure out where everything fits.

No problem! If you look in the thread I linked earlier, I've already labelled the MIDIs (the tags with the original names didn't stick for some reason).  I now believe that some of the section labeling isn't quite right, but I don't remember which since I didn't maintain those names. In the main it is correct. If you want something really in-depth, I could share my Wwise projects which have everything broken down to be put back into XCOM 2 (again without the original MIDI names).

Medbay is one of the more standard ones (it still has that odd A-pairs change that happens with the "tubular bells" section as a transition). Reactor is pretty weird, Groves I really don't understand. Musically I am able to use it but I've never quite gotten my head around how it is actually supposed to work in-game. It has a LOT of parts.

I'm super curious to see what you come up with. It's neat to have another set of eyes on this coming from the opposite direction, trying to replace the music instead of use it.

662eb6ab30210
No problem! If you look in the thread I linked earlier, I've already labelled the MIDIs (the tags with the original names didn't stick for some reason).

I'm super curious to see what you come up with. It's neat to have another set of eyes on this coming from the opposite direction, trying to replace the music instead of use it.

I'll take a look at your thread soon, it should definitely help in the future with music replacement.  :D

I already have an original track finished, at least compositionally - right now I just need to get the volume of it balanced so it sounds good on even the crappiest of synthesizers (cough microsoft gs cough)
662eb6ab3038a
Hey, thanks for making that ZIP file, nintendoeats! It's way better than what I had and much clearer on what each file does. Do you mind if I update my google doc with your information soon to make it more complete? I'll credit you and color code your text to make it clear which parts are yours.

662eb6ab30615nintendoeats

662eb6ab30673
Hey, thanks for making that ZIP file, nintendoeats! It's way better than what I had and much clearer on what each file does. Do you mind if I update my google doc with your information soon to make it more complete? I'll credit you and color code your text to make it clear which parts are yours.

Absolutely, go ahead! Just remember that some of the specific sequence information is not accurate.

662eb6ab3071bnintendoeats

662eb6ab30782
Actually, I am getting to the point where renaming my MIDIs to reflect what I have found since then could potentially be straightforward. I may do that soon.
« Last Edit: 07. July 2018, 23:08:07 by nintendoeats »

662eb6ab30864nintendoeats

662eb6ab308c8
Here is an updated version of how I think everything fits together. Same naming scheme as before, but note that the enemy theme number is semi-meaningless. Some sections use two different enemy themes to match the chords.
[Labelled MIDI - V2.zip expired]
662eb6ab309e6
Sorry for the lack of updates, been busy, partly because I was working on SS1 music! Currently I have Medical Suites, Reactor, and Security documented, part of which is courtesy of nintendoeats work with the soundtrack. All of those have been replaced for Rewired as well, along with the title screen. You'll get to hear the replacements soon.

662eb6ab30a80nintendoeats

662eb6ab30ad4
Glad to have helped! I'm looking forward to an excuse to play System Shock again...with a real MIDI module this time!
662eb6ab30dd0
Glad to have helped! I'm looking forward to an excuse to play System Shock again...with a real MIDI module this time!

Awesome! Glad to see there's other people out there still using those things... not like I would know anything about them or maybe own too many of them :/

662eb6ab30f15nintendoeats

662eb6ab30f4e
Is that an MT-32? That's an MT-32. Jealous.

I recently had the opportunity to use a PMA-5, which is the Roland module that time forgot. I ordered one on eBay for about $60 CAD, but the seller took ages to mail it and then it got routed to another province by accident so I'll be waiting for a while. I've never used an SC-55 or anything like that, but from what I can tell the PMA-5 is a really cheap alternative that is very similar to the sound canvas. Just FYI, something to keep your eyes out for. (Of course you already have a Sound Canvas, but you can never have too many of these things)
662eb6ab312f9
Is that an MT-32? That's an MT-32. Jealous.

I recently had the opportunity to use a PMA-5, which is the Roland module that time forgot. I ordered one on eBay for about $60 CAD, but the seller took ages to mail it and then it got routed to another province by accident so I'll be waiting for a while. I've never used an SC-55 or anything like that, but from what I can tell the PMA-5 is a really cheap alternative that is very similar to the sound canvas. Just FYI, something to keep your eyes out for. (Of course you already have a Sound Canvas, but you can never have too many of these things)

Yep. I bought it for work on a game. Fun little machine, perhaps not worth the crazy asking price some people want (I paid $115 + shipping for mine, seemed fair), but it's got some neat synth sounds and it's very flexible if you find an editor.

I believe the PMA-5 should be pretty similar to a Sound Canvas in terms of sound, but you're obviously gonna be missing a few sounds since it has 306 instead of the full 317 of the SC-55 or the 350 or so from the SC-55MkII. It's still Roland GS compatible though which should suffice for 99% of Sound Canvas-compatible games. Never used one though, don't really have a need to pick up a portable sequencer that simple. If I ever bought something like that it'd be a Yamaha QY70/QY100 because that I can actually integrate into my home setup really well (it's XG compatible just like my MU1000).

662eb6ab31707nintendoeats

662eb6ab3176c
Yep. I bought it for work on a game. Fun little machine, perhaps not worth the crazy asking price some people want (I paid $115 + shipping for mine, seemed fair), but it's got some neat synth sounds and it's very flexible if you find an editor.

I believe the PMA-5 should be pretty similar to a Sound Canvas in terms of sound, but you're obviously gonna be missing a few sounds since it has 306 instead of the full 317 of the SC-55 or the 350 or so from the SC-55MkII. It's still Roland GS compatible though which should suffice for 99% of Sound Canvas-compatible games. Never used one though, don't really have a need to pick up a portable sequencer that simple. If I ever bought something like that it'd be a Yamaha QY70/QY100 because that I can actually integrate into my home setup really well (it's XG compatible just like my MU1000).

Thanks, what you are saying is along the same lines I was thinking. I think the big advantage it has is that it's cheap because people don't think of it. The next cheapest vintage Roland synth on eBay was at least 100 bucks more. I think the portable aspect is pretty useless nowadays. A laptop is infinitely more capable and easier to use. The interface was probably OK in 1995, but it really isn't anymore.
662eb6ab31b99
(snip)
Yeah, there's a lot of good MIDI devices out there that go unnoticed cause people don't talk about them, both in the retro gaming scene and the music scene, especially in the music scene though. Some hardcore people have this weird disdain for digital synths. I don't mind though, it keeps the prices for stuff like the KORG N series and Yamaha's PLG series down  :D

662eb6ab31c3enintendoeats

662eb6ab31c97
Oh god, don't say these product names. Every time I hear one I have a compulsion to plug it into eBay.
662eb6ab31fe6
Cyberspace is documented. It works different from the other tracks so I left some notes.

Oh god, don't say these product names. Every time I hear one I have a compulsion to plug it into eBay.

Lucky for you, the PLGs that are useful for gaming and the NX5R/NS5R are both hard to find so you won't be able to drain your wallet trying to buy them, no matter how compelled you feel :P
I got really lucky with my NX5R and got it for $125 (bought it the night it was listed), but the last one sold for $250, and the NS5R sells around $80~200 but again, it's hard to find. I wouldn't recommend it unless you're a musician to be honest; the General MIDI and GS banks are often pretty mediocre sounding. The meat of the unit lies in the custom Program and Combination banks, which has sounds that range from bread & butter 90s cheese to amazing atmospheric pads. Definitely a musician's machine.

662eb6ab32111nintendoeats

662eb6ab3215f
Actually, part of my justification for buying the PMA is that I'd really like to get in to doing some MIDI work. I have played Guitar for years but I've never gotten into serious composing because I never had backing. Part of the reason I built that whole interactive music system for XCOM 2 was that I wanted to try my hand at my own soundtrack. Not being able to make it work with WotC put the kibosh on that.

The only factor right now is time. I have decent microphones, a 2i2 and a MIDI module. I can probably hold myself back from buying more kit.
662eb6ab325d9
Elevator is documented now.

Actually, part of my justification for buying the PMA is that I'd really like to get in to doing some MIDI work. I have played Guitar for years but I've never gotten into serious composing because I never had backing. Part of the reason I built that whole interactive music system for XCOM 2 was that I wanted to try my hand at my own soundtrack. Not being able to make it work with WotC put the kibosh on that.

The only factor right now is time. I have decent microphones, a 2i2 and a MIDI module. I can probably hold myself back from buying more kit.

You *never* own enough kit, haha. But honestly, I think you'll be good for the time depending on what you want to make - there's some decent sounds on the PMA, though you'll have to get really good at using MIDI commands to make performances sound realistic (expression/modulation/velocity, namely). If I were in your situation though I'd personally save up another $100~250 to pick up some sort of good ROMpler - JV-1080, Yamaha MU (MU100 or MU1000EX/2000EX), SC-88 Pro/8850/8820, etc. I personally love my 88 Pro and MU1000EX, they ended up being the main driving force of my last EP.
Those things have all of the bread and butter sounds and still sound fantastic despite being 20+ years old; perhaps not as good or 'warm' as an analog synth, but considering the price it's crazy what you can get out of them, and once you have one, you don't really need another unless you want to expand your sound palette or try out another brand. I mean, I made an entire game soundtrack with just the SC-88 Pro that covered jazz, rock, thrash, and that general late-90s game CD music aesthetics, and the playtesters all really liked it, though I hope I can release a preview for it soon. https://twitter.com/NecrolepsyGame
In general though, skill and talent always triumphs over gear - gear is a means to get the sounds you want, but compositional skills can seriously make up for a lack of gear. Only problem is you can't buy skill, you have to build it up over a long time, and that's kind of a pain.
1 Guest is here.
Careful (A Life Is A Fragile Thing)
Contact SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2016, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies
FEEP
662eb6ab3349a