665cbcc0126ea

665cbcc013553
1 Guest is here.

Topic: Black screen after choosing ship deck. Read 1591 times  

665cbcc013ca9
Hello.

So I'm new to modding System Shock 2, but not so new to modding overall. I managed to set up every mod I would like to use in my playthrough and everything seems to be working fine. The only problem being that when I choose the Technician Ship after tutorials the loading bar progresses to 100%  and shortly then screen goes black. No sound, no visual I can only enter the menu.

I managed also to find out which mod causes this to happen and it seems to be either "SCP Beta 4", "SHTUP_ND beta "1 or "SS2 Vaxquis Vintage Sound Remake". If I disable those I can load into the ship deck without problem. I believe I just have the mod load set incorrectly and I would appreciate anyone helping me out there. I tried various load orders, but it didn't worked out, as if the mod itself is corrupted.

Here's my load order with 3 of those mods disabled:

Can someone help? Cheers.
665cbcc013fba
Why? I said in the topic that the game is working fine without SCP Beta 4, SHTUP and Vintage Sound Remake enabled. So Biomatter is not the problem here, doesn't cause any issue.

I only asked what load order I should use with these three.

665cbcc0140b2voodoo47

665cbcc014131
SCP at the very bottom, SHTUP right above it, song remake can be anywhere.

I'm pretty sure I know what's going on, that's why I asked you to disable a mod.

just to make sure - you are running a SS2tool patched install, and are enabling the mods before starting a new game?
665cbcc0142ff
If you are asking if I did used SC2tool then yes, but I'm running the game from the ss2.exe in the folder if that makes any difference. And yeah I did multiple tries with all mods enabled and changing those 3 in various orders.

The one you are suggesting (SCP at bottom, SHTUP above and song anywhere) is the one I already tried and it results in black screen. But to make sure I will try again. Will try with Biomatter disabled as well. Will report in a moment.

@edit
Tried with your suggested order and the black screen still appears. I will try disabling one at the time, I'm sure it's one of these 3 I mentioned that causes this.
665cbcc014420
Okay, so the black screen appears because of SCP_beta 4. With it disabled it loads me to the ship deck without problem.

What can I do about it? From what I know SCP is like a community patch, so I would like to use it in a playthrough :/

665cbcc0144d9voodoo47

665cbcc01452d
started a new game? remember, SCP cannot be disabled/enabled mid-game.

what happens if you start a new game with just SCP and nothing else? would start from there as all the other mods can be enabled/disabled at any moment.
665cbcc014652
Every time I try to make this work I start the new game just in case, so I'm thinking it's not the reason. Though I will try with only SCP activated to see if I pass through this loading screen, will report in a moment.
665cbcc014a74
started a new game? remember, SCP cannot be disabled/enabled mid-game.

what happens if you start a new game with just SCP and nothing else? would start from there as all the other mods can be enabled/disabled at any moment.

Sorry for delay.

So with only SCP Beta 4 activated the black screen still appears. Any idea what can I do other than just not using it?

665cbcc014b71voodoo47

665cbcc014bc9
might really be some sort of resource corruption. let me get this right - you start a new game, the earth level loads fine, you pick the navy career and instead of loading the station level, you get the black screen?

I would create a completely new SS2 install, patch it with the tool again, redownload SCP beta4, making sure to extract it using the latest 7zip, and see whether that helped.

maybe post your ss2.log, to see whether something is not loaded as it should, but can't imagine such a strange thing happening because of script load failures or similar.
665cbcc0151aa
might really be some sort of resource corruption. let me get this right - you start a new game, the earth level loads fine, you pick the navy career and instead of loading the station level, you get the black screen?

Yes exactly that.

I would create a completely new SS2 install, patch it with the tool again, redownload SCP beta4, making sure to extract it using the latest 7zip, and see whether that helped.

That's literally what I have done before, with fresh SS2 install, tool and downloading every mod from scratch.

But I think I found a workaround. I downloaded SCP beta 3 out of curiosity and I got past the loading screen after selecting ship deck. So I guess I could just use that version and do a playthrough. But are there any big and major differences between beta 3 and 4 that I would miss out if I do that?

665cbcc015374voodoo47

665cbcc0153d2
yeah, it would be much better to get this resolved. anyway, just save right before you end the station level, exit the game, unload beta3, load beta4, load the save and try going to the next level.

can you post that log?
665cbcc015518
You mean save after the loading screen with using Beta 3 and then changing it to Beta 4 and then loading the save? I can try that, but if it happened once, then wouldn't it happen again at some point with Beta 4?

I will post the logs if I find them :P

665cbcc0155dfvoodoo47

665cbcc015633
yes (and continuing to the actual game/the medsci level). will see what happens.

ss2.log is in your SS2 folder.
665cbcc015a96
yes (and continuing to the actual game/the medsci level). will see what happens.

ss2.log is in your SS2 folder.

So doing that loads me straight into the black screen :/

Posting logs in the attachments. Or so I believe that's the logs you are asking for, not sure.

[ss2.log expired]

665cbcc015b81voodoo47

665cbcc015bd6
nothing interesting in the log. try adding
first_level station.mis
with beta4 active and start a new game, that should take you to the station level directly. if your screen is still back, try jumping and pushing forward.
665cbcc015cb7
I'm sorry, but adding that line where?

665cbcc015d41voodoo47

665cbcc015d8c
ah sorry, cam.cfg (in your SS2 folder).
665cbcc015ebc
So the results are this:

Black screen, but I can see part of the hud. I can also open the inventory and minimap with hotkeys. Can't move, can't jump nothing of that sort.

665cbcc015f65voodoo47

665cbcc015fb2
save the game into the first slot while in this state, zip up the save_0 folder and post it.

the station.mis file from your SCP beta4 folder as well.
665cbcc01633c
save the game into the first slot while in this state, zip up the save_0 folder and post it.

the station.mis file from your SCP beta4 folder as well.

I think the website just went down? Maybe it was just me, couldn't access it.

Sending both files.
[station.mis expired]
[save_0.7z expired]

665cbcc01641cvoodoo47

665cbcc016469
did you change the savename when saving? doesn't look like a resource corruption. will have to run some things - in the meantime, try copying station.mis from beta3 into beta4 (overwrite), start a new game (remove the first level var from cam.cfg), and see whether the station level loads normally.

also, can you provide a beta4 save on earth?
« Last Edit: 08. July 2018, 20:04:48 by voodoo47 »
665cbcc016806
did you change the savename when saving? doesn't look like a resource corruption. will have to run some things - in the meantime, try copying station.mis from beta3 into beta4 (overwrite), start a new game (remove the first level var from cam.cfg), and see whether the station level loads normally.

I honestly don't know. I think some numbers appeared, like the game time or something? Don't think I touched it though.

Will try as you suggested.

@edit
Nope still black screen even after overwriting this file from Beta 3.
665cbcc016ab7

There you go.
[save_2.7z expired]
1 Guest is here.
Homer: Kill my boss? Do I dare live out the American dream?
Contact SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2016, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies
FEEP
665cbcc019eb9