6667d5de77d38

6667d5de78346
1 Guest is here.

6667d5de78b4e
so;program files - screwing things up since January 30, 2007, and still going strong.

Yes. Microsoft are basically the Sirius Cybernetics Corporation, that company in the Hitch-Hiker's Guide to the Galaxy, who made Marvin the depressed android. The company that, like Microsoft are incompetent and make hugely flawed or just plain bad products, but are too big to fail.

Anyway, maybe you should add a note about this System Shock source port problem in yourFAQ/help thread at:

https://www.gog.com/forum/system_shock_series/system_shock_enhanced_edition_mini_faq/page1

Something like:

If you're trying to play the Windows version of System Shock source port, but it refuses to run, and you get an error message along the lines of "Assertion failed", then open up Explorer (the file manager that opens when you double click on it's icon, or when you double click on My Computer), and in the address bar (where it says C:\ or whatever), copy and paste the following single word, including both percentage signs:

%appdata%

You will now see many folders listed. Find and delete the folder called:

Nightdive Studios

But DON'T delete anything else, just the folder called "Nightdive Studios". Then run the System Shock source port and the game should now load and work as it should.

Granted, so far it only seems to be me who's encountered the problem, but there's always the possibility it could happen to someone who actually has a brain!
6667d5de78eae
I have to disagree. The Program Files permissions are that way for a reason. Because in Windows the application directory is the bundle. It's secured so that none of the Users that use the PC can mess with the Programm. It has been this way since the beginning of windows nt. Software developers should be able to use it correctly by now. Microsoft can't really be blamed for corrupted files inside the appdata folder, nor that the programms code does not handle that case gracefully.

Problem is mostly with win 9x era software, because there was no such concept of security in these versions of windows. Which means that software were very liberal with how it used the programm directory.

Bonus Reading

6667d5de78fb5voodoo47

6667d5de78fff
yes. it's still a terrible idea, not solving anything and creating potential problems (as far as games are concerned).

6667d5de790b4my name

6667d5de790fd
it's game, i had some other issues as well, blame me what you want … blablabla … blame my system . i know it's the game, there are some other issues as well.
1 Guest is here.
This is going quite well!?
Contact SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2016, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies
FEEP
6667d5de79f6a