66660aa9e89d2

66660aa9e917b
1 Guest is here.

Topic: help with translation Read 3543 times  

66660aa9e99a9
Hello I am translating the game to portuguese I want help with some words. when shodan talks about "The mass" is she talking about the body or the church mass?
"We welcome you to our mass."

"Our biology yearns to join with yours. We welcome you to our mass"

"Glory to the flesh, glory to the mass"

"If you choose to lie down with the machine, we will rend you apart, and put you separate from the joy of the mass"

and another word is "The many". Who is the many?

"Intruder, the Many demands to know your intentions."

"The Many demands the termination of this exchange."

"The glory of the Many demands your capture or destruction."

66660aa9e9be6voodoo47

66660aa9e9c45
if you are asking who the Many is, you probably shouldn't be doing a translation (not alone, anyway).

it's mass as a mass of flesh/body.
Acknowledged by: icemann

66660aa9ea392unn_atropos

66660aa9ea40a
Hello I am translating the game to portuguese I want help with some words. when shodan talks about "The mass" is she talking about the body or the church mass?
It refers to the bio-organic tissue of the Many, nothing to do with the church mass. Though, if there is a word (or word play) in the portuguese language, that could refer to a double meaning, that would be interesting, as the Many see themself as an entity, a choir of many voices. No unlike religions.

and another word is "The many". Who is the many?
Uhm, did you play the game? The Many are your main advisary in the game. Once created by Shodan, they have become rampant and turned against her. They created a fleshy hivemind.
66660aa9ea580
well actually I finished this game a long time ago I don't even remember XD thanks for the help.
66660aa9ea6a2
so, can I refer to the many as one entity like mr many or so? instead of alot of them? because in portuguese many normally menas a lot or plenty.
66660aa9ea80c
another thing, what is exactly the deck 5 commons area?

"At 0200 there will be a poetry reading by protocol unit T892/2 in the deck 5 commons area"

or where is it. because acoording to this  http://www.businessdictionary.com/definition/common-areas.html  a commons area can be a lot of things

well whatever I guess lobby will do fine.
66660aa9ea9a6
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Common_area

But you are right it's ambiguous. I'd think a poetry readiny would take place in either the mall, the theater or most likely the Bon Chance Lounge (inside the mess/dining hall).
« Last Edit: 29. December 2018, 18:03:13 by fox »
66660aa9eaac3
Hello, I am back again with more questions, What is the name for the initials O.S.A is it Orbital Station Agent? because I can't find in the wiki

I have found the osa and the osa agent pages but it just don't tell what osa stands for
66660aa9eaf0a
Nobody knows.

I didn't realise that! Normally my mind wanders, and I wonder about details, but I don't recall ever wondering about what O. S. A. stood for. I probably just assumed it was mentioned elsewhere and it had slipped my mind.
66660aa9eb060
Yes, it's peculiar. I think it's probably something like Outer Space Alliance since it's a jointventure of the government and the TriOptimum Corporation. Otherwise I'd go with Agency.
« Last Edit: 11. January 2019, 20:16:10 by fox »
66660aa9eb17a
If System Shock 2 was set in the Monty Python universe, then 'O. S. A.' would stand for the 'Ministry Of Wrong Acronyms'!
66660aa9eb282
hmm makes sense I guess outer space agency doesn't look that bad

66660aa9eb771unn_atropos

66660aa9eb7c6
so, can I refer to the many as one entity like mr many or so?
Oh, no no no. They do not form a single person. They are a collective.
Just like the borg are called the Borg and not Mr. Geoffrey Børgmann (though that is a cool name!).

I would prefer Operative Service Agency. They are doing the internal dirty work like removing seditious elements, killing politicians stealthy and so on.

Yes, it's peculiar. I think it's probably something like Outer Space Alliance since it's a jointventure of the government and the TriOptimum Corporation.
I think, the military branches are purely a UNN thing with no connection to TriOptimum. They wanted to limit company power, not let them have a say in building up armies.

66660aa9eb986ZylonBane

66660aa9eb9d9
First, no, "Outer Space Agency" is dumb and has nothing to do with what OSA does. Second, why do you need to know? You're doing a translation. Just leave OSA alone.
66660aa9ebad5
Yes, it does sound stupid to me too but not too far fetched.

66660aa9ebb84ZylonBane

66660aa9ebbce
It is maximally fetched. OSA is the UNN's psionics branch. They don't have anything more to do with outer space than any of the other branches.
66660aa9ebcf5
Not sure where you get that from. We know that they are doing scientific research for the UNN but our actual space agencies like ESA (European Space Agency) or NASA do that too. At least I am not aware of any ingame info, that specifically limits the OSI activities to psionics.

Maybe Orbital Science Agency? Sounds cringey too. I guess, it really is better to leave it alone...
« Last Edit: 11. January 2019, 22:28:07 by fox »

66660aa9ebdb7ZylonBane

66660aa9ebe00
NASA? ESA? What the fuck are you going on about? We're talking about military branches of the UNN, not scientific research organizations. Have you even played SS2?
66660aa9ec136
This is a legit question, because if the OSA acronym explanation was known, it may have to be translated.
However it's not clear what OSA means, we discussed this a few times:
https://www.ttlg.com/forums/showthread.php?t=52191&p=577208
https://www.ttlg.com/forums/showthread.php?t=120540&p=1718683

I personally favour the Office of Special Affairs (scientology) explanation that Daxim suggested.
Before Irrational knew they could use the System Shock IP they were working on a game about a guy who gets paid by relatives to extract persons from cults/sects. The OSA in SS2 might well be a remnant of that development phase.

But this is in no way official and "OSA" should therefore remain untranslated.
66660aa9ec554
Ask Ken Levine on Twitter, maybe he knows.
66660aa9ec6a7
Eh, some things are better left mysterious. A secretive psionics organization seems to fit that bill.
66660aa9ec7b9
yes If the word for osa was nown I would defnitely translate as it is a thing I want but for now I will leave osa until I finish translate everything the strings folder is 90% translated and the subtitles 87% and then after finishing I can polish and maybe change the name
1 Guest is here.
At first you can't hear the pole holding up the sign ... but it has a sound shadow that's many feet long.
Contact SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2016, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies
FEEP
66660aa9efd4d