665c93b6af0a7

665c93b6afb3f
1 Guest is here.

Topic: SS1 Enhanced no music on Linux Read 1550 times  

665c93b6b0025Danger Richard

665c93b6b00aa
I'm not getting any music on the port, and I don't know where to start. However, I did install timidity, got the fluid sound font set up, and had it all working on dosbox when I had Classic installed. Would appreciate any help here.

665c93b6b0301Wild Penguin

665c93b6b0360
From where did you install SS1 enhanced? Gog.com edition?

Not sure that it matters, but I can get music, but I just need to make sure there is some synth software running in the background. SS:EE is for Windows only, and it (and/or wine) has no facility to start these automatically. I'm not actually sure how it works, but I believe wine somehow smells around for ALSA midi ports and advertises these to windows applications. IIRC there is some configuration in windows  registry (EDIT: I mean the equivalent in the wine overlay).

Speaking of which, what most probably matters more is: what distribution you are running, which sound system (Pulseaudio?), what wine version?
« Last Edit: 07. March 2019, 10:49:19 by Wild Penguin »

665c93b6b0727Danger Richard

665c93b6b07c1
From where did you install SS1 enhanced? Gog.com edition?

Not sure that it matters, but I can get music, but I just need to make sure there is some synth software running in the background. SS:EE is for Windows only, and it (and/or wine) has no facility to start these automatically. I'm not actually sure how it works, but I believe wine somehow smells around for ALSA midi ports and advertises these to windows applications. IIRC there is some configuration in windows  registry (EDIT: I mean the equivalent in the wine overlay).

Speaking of which, what most probably matters more is: what distribution you are running, which sound system (Pulseaudio?), what wine version?
Steam with Proton, default install path. Probably should've added that detail.

665c93b6b099aWild Penguin

665c93b6b09f1
Are you sure you are running timidity?

You did not tell your distribution. Some distributions might come with init scripts to run Timidity (probably not enabled per default, and might not come with it). You need to enable it. Another, easier way is to run Timidity by hand (and most probably most error-proof).

Open up a terminal and run timidity by typing
Code: [Select]
timidity -iA
That should work on most systems. For more information try "timidity --help"

Then while timidity is running, try to run SS1 enhanced again.

If you do not get any midi, try "aconnect -o" to see if the ports are there and then, play a midi file (with aplaymidi) and then in wine. There also exists a midi mapper config in wine registry, according to the following page, which has the same tips I put here with more detail:

https://wiki.winehq.org/MIDI

665c93b6b0ddaDanger Richard

665c93b6b0e37
Are you sure you are running timidity?

You did not tell your distribution. Some distributions might come with init scripts to run Timidity (probably not enabled per default, and might not come with it). You need to enable it. Another, easier way is to run Timidity by hand (and most probably most error-proof).

Open up a terminal and run timidity by typing
Code: [Select]
timidity -iA
That should work on most systems. For more information try "timidity --help"

Then while timidity is running, try to run SS1 enhanced again.

If you do not get any midi, try "aconnect -o" to see if the ports are there and then, play a midi file (with aplaymidi) and then in wine. There also exists a midi mapper config in wine registry, according to the following page, which has the same tips I put here with more detail:

https://wiki.winehq.org/MIDI
Dammit, did it again. Mint 18.3.

665c93b6b0f15Danger Richard

665c93b6b0f6b
Well I thought I try the game again with timidity today, and somehow the music started playing. Don't know what I did, other than typing in the aconnect command and starting timidity.

665c93b6b105aWild Penguin

665c93b6b10ab
I guess it could be some kind of fluke with ALSA/Pulseaudio, or stale MIDI ports being populated (that are gone after a reboot) ... according to the Wine wiki, it will just choose the first ALSA MIDI port it can find (and this can be changed only by manually editing the registry).

Main thing is that you got it working   :thumb:

665c93b6b1345Danger Richard

665c93b6b1397
I guess it could be some kind of fluke with ALSA/Pulseaudio, or stale MIDI ports being populated (that are gone after a reboot) ... according to the Wine wiki, it will just choose the first ALSA MIDI port it can find (and this can be changed only by manually editing the registry).

Main thing is that you got it working   :thumb:
Thank you for putting up with me, and helping me with troubleshooting.

665c93b6b14b1Danger Richard

665c93b6b1511
I think I probably just realized my problem. Timidity "automatically starts" when booting up. So far, starting it up in the terminal gets it working, but in a different port, 129. Aconnect list its default port as 128, yet no playback. Somehow, methinks the session that got me success didn't had timidity "started", and now I'm back to square one. I'm trying to disconnect timidity through aconnect, but no dice. The help on terminal is unclear to me. Sorry to bother with this update.

Edit: It seems that ending timidity in the system monitor, and staring up again in the terminal has helped out. I also noticed it having different options, -Os -iAD.
« Last Edit: 30. March 2019, 16:29:38 by Danger Richard »
1 Guest is here.
Residents gathered by the market stones. I recalled and missed you in your painted dress
Contact SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2016, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies
FEEP
665c93b6b4797