662309482f8f2
1 Guest is here.

Topic: SS2 Replicator to Inventory Read 2583 times  

662309482fedeZylonBane

662309482ff57
System Shock 2 Replicator to Inventory
10 Jan 2020
by ZylonBane

Requires SS2 NewDark patch v2.46 or higher.

This mod places items purchased from replicators directly into player inventory.
If player inventory is full, purchased items will be piled at player's feet.

Should be compatible with all fan missions/campaigns.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oTGpzI-SIu4

Note that the technique used to detect when you've purchased an item is a bit hackish and depends on the replicator being set up "properly". If anyone encounters any replicators that this doesn't work with, please let me know.
Acknowledged by 2 members: hemebond, 3RDplayer
66230948301c2
Wow! That function is so obvious that it never occurred to me that the game should have it, even though it really should. Sort of too obvious to see.

I heard somewhere that when Basketball was invented, they used real baskets. And when the ball went into a basket, then play had to stop whilst someone got a ladder and went up to fetch the ball. It took (so I heard) more than a decade for someone to realise that if the baskets had no bottom then play wouldn't have to stop at all when someone scored. It seems obvious now, but back then it must have been too obvious for people to pick up on.

Thanks for this, ZB.
Is there a way to have this as part of a fan mission where it applies to part of the replicators but not to others? As in if you're in cyberspace type levels and buy something, it is automatically in your inventory' or other reasons/applications where it would be sensical to have a direct deposit into your inventory.

66230948303f0ZylonBane

So you're saying that what this mod does is NOT sensical/sensible.
66230948305e0
Frankly I always thought that having to pick up your items from the drop slot added to the immersion. And it gives you a chance to manage your inventory.

Stuff falling (often unnoticed) out of your inventory is one of the worst mechanics of the game.

So the intention of this mod kinda eludes me. I mean the more the merrier, but why?
Acknowledged by 2 members: JML, hemebond

66230948306c0ZylonBane

662309483070f
Because purchased items going directly into your inventory is how 99% of games implement their shops.

This mod doesn't diminish the ability to organize your inventory at all. All it does is automate the step of frobbing the item you just bought. And if you buy more than you can carry, this does the exact same thing the vanilla game does-- spits it back into the world when you try to pick it up. But with this mod your inventory will always be open when this happens, so you can see why the pickup failed.
Acknowledged by: Kolya

662309483087dCreamy

• Company: Nightdive Studios (community Discord Moderator)
66230948308d2
I'm too embarrassed to admit how many times I've simply forgot to pick up items I just purchased, so I'll be using this mod. Such a simple idea that'll make my current playthrough just that little more comfortable. Cheers, Zylon!
6623094830a47
Is it possible to revert back to original behavior if inventory is full (item will be in the replicator)?

6623094830b6bvoodoo47

6623094830bb9
to answer the original question, yes, very sure it's possible to apply the script locally with minimal tweaks.

6623094830f58ZylonBane

6623094830faf
Is it possible to revert back to original behavior if inventory is full (item will be in the replicator)?
SS2's replicator is implemented with internal engine code that does not send any events that scripts can intercept. The only way I could get this feature to work was indirectly, by detecting when an object has fallen out of the bounds of the invisible marker that purchased items are emitted from. If items were allowed to pile up in the replicator slot, it would break this detection.

So no, not possible.

I consider the floor pile preferable anyway, because stuff on the floor is a lot easier to notice than stuff hidden in a replicator slot. But since you can see your inventory fill up as you're shopping with this mod, over-purchasing should happen less often.

Your name:
This box must be left blank:

Look at you, hacker: a pathetic creature of ____ and bone!  (Fill in the missing word):
1 Guest is here.
Dieses Journal ist endgültig gelöscht worden
Contact SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2016, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies
FEEP