662ee2fe367e9
1 Guest is here.

Topic: SS2 Flashlight Augmentation Read 8086 times  

662ee2fe370b3ZylonBane

662ee2fe3711d
System Shock 2 Flashlight Augmentation v1.2
25 Sep 2021
by ZylonBane

Requires SS2 NewDark patch v2.48 or higher.
Should be compatible with all fan missions/campaigns.

TECHNICAL SPECIFICATIONS
  • Grey-market nanotech augmentation deposits bioluminescent cells within the retina to provide coherent illumination of the user's field of view.
  • Replaces compass module in standard cyber implant architecture. Use compass keybind to toggle activation state.
  • Light generation drains muscular glycogen stores, reducing movement speed by 20% while active.

CUSTOMIZATION
There are four config variables in this script:
  • UPDATE_FPS sets the rate at which the flashlight updates. Default is 60. Change to 30 if you experience slowdown while the flashlight is active.
  • SIM_INERTIA enables a small amount of inertia on the beam to make it feel more like a part of your body and less like an effect bolted to the game camera. Set false to disable.
  • LIGHT_HUE sets the light color. Default is 0.
  • LIGHT_SAT sets the light saturation. Default 0.

When using this mod, it is recommended to bind the "Compass HUD" command to something easier to press than the default Alt+C bind.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dXvggHEi0DI
« Last Edit: 25. September 2021, 19:20:35 by ZylonBane »
Acknowledged by 3 members: ThiefsieFool, unn_atropos, hemebond

662ee2fe379c6unn_atropos

662ee2fe37a26
Very nice!
This could result in some new maps or FM.
Would it be posssible to have it as an implant? Upgradeable implant? Different colours?
[look at me asterix!.jpg expired]

662ee2fe37af8ZylonBane

662ee2fe37b55
Of course.

Making it an implant would be a pain in the ass for players though. Vanilla implants are for passive, always-on augmentations, not abilities you might just use occasionally.
Acknowledged by: ThiefsieFool

662ee2fe37c0bSilversharp

662ee2fe37c5f
Oh sweet Lord, I've been waiting for this for years! :O
One question though; how can I make the light color a little yellowish?

662ee2fe37d45ZylonBane

662ee2fe37d98
That would be slightly nontrivial since it currently just uses the default white dynamic light for the beam and player glow.

Okay, updated to allow customizing the color.

662ee2fe37f08Alexander

662ee2fe37f5e
if it slows down (there are friezes) on weak laptops, pc,  with the flashlight turned on, change the fps from 60 to 30  (but this problem is individual)
...noticed this information. (sorry, you can delete the post).

changed internal settings so that there was no too white  effect. (also individually)
const maxDist = 60.0;
const minRadius = 2.0;
const maxRadius = 40.0;
const maxLight = 100.0;

maxLight - the most important setting (brightness)
« Last Edit: 13. February 2021, 13:53:47 by Alexander »

662ee2fe38074vladdrak

662ee2fe380c5
i activated the mod after i turned on compass, so for the time being i'm enjoying both worlds, but will i be safe on the long run?
« Last Edit: 22. September 2021, 23:43:41 by vladdrak »
662ee2fe38691
vladdrakDoubtful, considering you are running around in an alien infested spaceship. (joke)

662ee2fe387c9ZylonBane

662ee2fe3882b
There was indeed an issue with light color only updating after a save and reload (the original reporting comment which vlad has weirdly decided to remove from his post).

So I've done a minor rewrite, fixed all the edge cases (I hope), and reduced the number of times it hits the script database every frame. This should improve the CPU impact, though my system is fast enough that I can't tell any difference. Also consolidated all the light parameters at the top of the script for easier tweaking.

662ee2fe38ba9vladdrak

662ee2fe38c08
ZylonBaneat the end it seemed that i could actually get the desired yellowish color through some trial and error (apparently save - reload), plus i couldn't trust my perception skills enough to think that i might be the only one picking this issue up, so yeah. besides, i was so happy with the mod as it is, i slapped myself after reporting, tho im glad it's even better now. thx, zb!
662ee2fe38d6e
>ShockGame.AddSpeedControl
Thanks for this line, actually like having it.
Can it possibly have requiement to recharge flashlight? Scaling of light ammount tied to energy left or something like that.
Thanks for mod, i love it.

662ee2fe38eddReconUnit

662ee2fe38f33
Might give this one a shot, been getting back into SS2 starting with some basic patches and graphical updates, including using Reshade to amp up the lighting in environments, problem is that it makes some areas a bit too dark, so this is a perfect solution.

Your name:
This box must be left blank:

How can you challenge a perfect, _____ machine? (Fill in the missing word):
1 Guest is here.
I still really like the idea of being able to eat monkey brains though. ~ZylonBane
Contact SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2016, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies
FEEP
662ee2fe3a613