6667dd077711d

6667dd0777694
1 Guest is here.

6667dd0777cadNaneetos

6667dd0777d10
I'm new to the whole mod thing. I have the GOG version but I used the straight "vanilla" GOG version that ships from there. Is that version the most updated one? (2.48 I believe?)
How do I update the game manually, without using SS2Tool? I don't like being forced to be connected to anything and I don't like having files being downloaded in the background without me knowing explicitly what these files are or how much data it will need.
If the answer is "No, it's not possible to update manually", is the standard GOG version "ready for mods"? Can I straight use Blue Mod Manager on top of the GOG version without ss2Tool?
I know there are dozens of threads about this out there but the installation process is "convoluted" to say the least and there are so many stuff written about it that you don't even know where to start.

6667dd0777f4evoodoo47

6667dd0777fa0
- the GOG/steam build is ready to go, if you don't care about mods.
- no manual updates are necessary, as long as you don't care about mods.
- you pretty much can't apply the tool manually, it's simply not meant to be used that way.
- it is possible to just use BMM, though this is really not recommended, unless there's absolutely no other way around. if you insist, make sure to load and activate SCP, this will make sure all the scripts are loaded.

to make it short, just play the GOG/steam build if you don't care about mods, and apply the tool if you do. anything else will almost inevitably lead to issues of some sort - the tool exists for the very purpose of people not having to mess around their SS2 installs manually, breaking them in a myriad of ways. one tool to rule them all, one tool to find them, one tool to bring them all and in NewDark bind them.

6667dd0778098Naneetos

6667dd07780e3
The mods I'm interested in trying out are these ones, based off an article I was reading about interesting mods:
SecMod
AlyaMod
Randomizer
Will they work on stock GOG version? Do I use Blue Mod Manager or something else?
(note) it would be interesting if there was a way to have Alya and Randomizer loaded at the same time, for all the Alya features but also with all the monster placements randomized etc etc. As far as I was able to understand, these ones do not mix together... is that so?

6667dd07781cdvoodoo47

6667dd0778218
if you mean the old Randomizer, no, that one is definitely not compatible with Secmod or Alyamod. Alyamod should work with just the GOG/steam build coupled with the Blue Mod Manager, but Secmod intentionally takes advantage of the tool dml fix set - I think it should be possible to complete the game without them, but you will be reintroducing a couple of minor bugs into the game, if nothing else.
6667dd07783c1
If you're paranoid about what SS2Tool downloads you could always set up a Windows VM.  You can later copy the updated game from the VM to your actual machine.

6667dd07784dfNaneetos

6667dd077852c
Are AlyaMod and Randomizer compatible with version 2.46?
Was there ever any mod for "rebalancing" OSA builds? In the sense of making Psionic build "viable", like reducing prices of Psionic powers, increasing their powers or duration, etc. I tried playing an OSA build but I found myself resorting to weapons and melee because the Psionic stuff was so expensive to use. It wasn't until latter portion of the game that I was able to afford much of the Psi stuff and even then most of them seemed to be more or less "useless" by reading their description. I was expecting an OSA build to play like a Mage character in RPG, but I think that's my mistake for creating such false expectation.

6667dd077897cvoodoo47

6667dd07789da
Are AlyaMod and Randomizer compatible with version 2.46?
technically, all oldDark mods are compatible with any version of NewDark, but there is no reason why you would want to do this (those two will still be incompatible with one another no matter the engine version used).

here's a mod that rebalances some psi stuff, among other things.

almost forgot - make sure to overwrite NVscript that comes with SCP with this one, if you are serious about not using the tool.

6667dd0778aecNaneetos

6667dd0778b3f
Ah, yeah, it sounded like I asked about mixing these two, I was more asking if any of them will work with 2.46.
Here's the thing, when you say terms like that, you're speaking greek to me, and I don't want to spend hours researching how to do this (I've already wasted hours before I decided to register here)
I have the game. I have the mod files. What do I do now? I open Blue MM? That's it?
I'm not interested in "fancy" graphics, I want to keep the game as original as possible, only changes in gameplay.

6667dd0778caavoodoo47

6667dd0778cf7
do this;

- extract BMM into your (unmodified) 2.48 GOG SS2 install.
- download the latest NVscript, extract it into the OSM folder.
- download the mod you want, load it as described here.

still, you should consider this a last resort solution, again, just patching up with the tool is what you should be doing here.

6667dd0778df3Naneetos

6667dd0778e3c
The "newbie guide" there is not clear about certain things:
- I downloaded a mod. Now, what do I do with it? I have to extract it?
Re:
- If so, I have to extract it into the game's directory or a separate directory altogether?
Re:
- Can/should I extract more than one mod to a single location?
Re:
- Instead of using BlueModManager for mods and FM for "fan missions", is there a single launcher that takes care of everything?
Re:
- Can I load "mods" and "fan missions" at the same time? How one goes about doing that? Example: AlyaMod + AnyFanMission
Re:

6667dd07797fcvoodoo47

6667dd077985c
- I downloaded a mod. Now, what do I do with it? I have to extract it?
the first two pictures show how to load the mod archives - basically, you just point the manager at the archives and it will load the mods(s) properly. once loaded, you need to activate them and set their priorities up, see the third picture.

- I have to extract it into the game's directory or a separate directory altogether?
if you want to mess with things manually, then you need to extract the contents of a mod archive into its own folder, which has to reside inside the DMM folder (the manager will create it upon first run).

- Can/should I extract more than one mod to a single location?
definitely not.

- Instead of using BlueModManager for mods and FM for "fan missions", is there a single launcher that takes care of everything?
no, and for a very good reason.

- Can I load "mods" and "fan missions" at the same time? How one goes about doing that? Example: AlyaMod + AnyFanMission
yes you can, and that is the reason why fan missions are loaded separately. you pick whatever mod loadout you want, activate it with the modmanager, and fire the fan mission up using the FM selector. note that (old) gamesys mods created for the vanilla game (such as AlyaMod) do not support fan missions, so they will do nothing for the fm even if active.
« Last Edit: 12. June 2020, 13:03:56 by voodoo47 »

6667dd077993dNaneetos

6667dd0779a0a
I downloaded NVscript, it has an OSM file inside of it. Where do I put it? The HTML file goes there too?
BModManager has to be extracted inside the game root folder?

6667dd0779ae9voodoo47

6667dd0779b7c
you put it into the \SS2\OSM\ folder (the html file doesn't really matter). yes, BMM goes wherever ss2.exe is.

6667dd0779cd1Naneetos

6667dd0779d22
Mod apparently is loading,
but after I go to the Skill training doors to start the game,
I can't move and there's this weird thing in the center of my screen.
https://i.imgur.com/Xdxqi4w.jpg
The Alya mod name is listed on the menu, so I assume it is loaded properly?
https://i.imgur.com/Wi7mqK9.jpg
I don't have any folder in the location /SS2/OSM

6667dd0779deaNaneetos

6667dd0779e38
Shock2.EXE is 5.1MB and is dated June-2019
Contents of cam_mod.ini
; patch_ext.crf contains some compatibility fixes/tweaks for the updated version
mod_path .\DMM\SS2_Rainalkar_AlyaMod_2+.\patch_ext
Game is installed in C:\Shock2
C:\Shock2\BMM\ss2bmm.exe

6667dd0779f10voodoo47

6667dd0779f5e
that weird thing is a selection wheel. you are not the first one to be weirded out by its weirdness.

not having the OSM folder is odd - are you sure you are running the latest GOG build? galaxy should install it, but not sure about the offline installers, they might be out of date. check SS2 community fixes.txt and see the last entry, should read 2.48 update1.

6667dd077a02bNaneetos

6667dd077a077
I can't move (but I could move when selecting training skills)
I can only crouch and open inventory with TAB
what is the date on your EXE executable?
SS2.EXE is simply a copy of Shock2.EXE or is different in size?

6667dd077a118Naneetos

6667dd077a164
Can't move. Clearing and Rebinding keys will not work.

6667dd077a267voodoo47

6667dd077a2b5
you should be able to click on the wheel bits iirc (need to open the inventory, I think). having the old exe spooking around would point to a botched install - too bad you didn't let the tool take care about that.

hard to tell what else is lurking in there (does the cam_mod.ini say uber_mod_path osm+ubermod?) - at this point, I would recommend a new, clean install via GOG galaxy, and readding the manager and the mod to that.

6667dd077a3ebNaneetos

6667dd077a438
I have a clean GOG install from 2 hours ago.
I posted the contents of my cam_mod.ini above, didn't you see?
I cannot run SS2tool because it says it doesn't work on XP. I have only XP at the moment.
(in the SS2tool I have read the author telling people to "go to a Vista+ machine, update there and bring the files back to your computer". That is just insanity.
One possible solution for this would be for you to putting the contents of the SS2 root directory inside a ZIP (except the DATA directory of course) and upload it somewhere like Dropbox. The resulting ZIP file should be around 20MB in size. Could you do that? There's something clearly wrong with my GOG install.
24 hours gone by into this lunacy and still nothing. This is not the optimal way of doing this.

6667dd077a844ZylonBane

6667dd077a89c
This is not the optimal way of doing this.
Maybe you should just use the optimal way.

6667dd077b387voodoo47

6667dd077b3f8
I have a clean GOG install from 2 hours ago.
I've reinstalled the game to check, I have the OSM folder, and no rogue exe. you sure you are installing via the galaxy client?

I posted the contents of my cam_mod.ini above, didn't you see?
not the part I've mentioned in my previous post.

I cannot run SS2tool because it says it doesn't work on XP. I have only XP at the moment.
ah, that explains things. yeah, if you are running xp nowadays, you need to be prepared for trouble.

One possible solution for this would be for you to putting the contents of the SS2 root directory inside a ZIP (except the DATA directory of course) and upload it somewhere like Dropbox. The resulting ZIP file should be around 20MB in size. Could you do that? There's something clearly wrong with my GOG install.
yeah, I'll probably just do that.

24 hours gone by into this lunacy and still nothing. This is not the optimal way of doing this.
well, no kidding. you however have a very special situation at hand.

6667dd077b4f0Naneetos

6667dd077b545
Turns out it was already working, I had to press TAB and right-click that "thing" in the middle of the screen, that is some sort of difficulty selector.

6667dd077b676voodoo47

6667dd077b6cb
well yeah, I've already mentioned that.

you still need those zipped contents or are you good with this? if you don't have the OSM folder, you will probably have to extract the latest NVscript to the AlyaMod folder (overwriting the old osm file). once that is done, you are probably ok to go, even with the game install looking a bit out of date for some reason (the game actually can take quite a bit of punishment before things start to break completely).

//checked the GOG offline installer (setup_system_shocktm_2_2.48_(31077).exe), it's ok, so I'm guessing you are using some out of date offline installer you have backed up some time ago?
« Last Edit: 12. June 2020, 18:09:58 by voodoo47 »
1 Guest is here.
What New York used to be.
Contact SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2016, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies
FEEP
6667dd077c9de