🔒 Multiplayer player model swap trouble

1 Guest is here.
Page: 1/2▶▶
662ac548d826c
ZenQuote
Hey everyone, I'm currently trying to do a very simple model swap of the multiplayer models in System Shock 2, but I'm encountering no end of troubles.

For starters the Blender add-ons I'm able to find are exporting either directly to .bin or to .e neither of which seems to work correctly- I imagine the .bin export isn't working due to the player models requiring some extra data but the closest guides I've found for troubleshooting this were written in 2009 and 2007 and expect me to know where and what MESHBLD is.

I have no idea what to do with .e files either, nothing correctly converts those to the formats SS2 needs- or I need for that matter, unless I use Blender 2.79 to import a .e file converted to a .3ds file (since Blender 2.8+ no longer imports .3ds files) but those imports appear to be missing the joint planes needed for the games rigging, I could manually create them but then the only 2.79 add-on that supports exports to Dark Engine is a static .bin export, which obviously has trouble with rigged characters (rigged as far as Dark Engine is concerned anyway.)

So I'm a bit lost trying to replace the player models, I've spent two days trying to research everything I need but the information is very scattered, often out of date and conflicting.

If anyone has a solution I'm all ears.

So far I've read and tried:
How to make new biped meshes for Dark Engine games about a thousand times, despite it being written in 2009.
https://github.com/RSoul82/Blender-NewDark-Toolkit import and export add-on that apparently uses MeshBld.exe, but I had to go and install Thief 2 and force a directory just for this plugin to export anything properly and SS2 still crashed when I tested the resulting mesh.
• Endlessly scouring the forum for similar import-export problems.
• Successfully model-swapped using another in-game model, but no success using anything exported from Blender.
662ac548d8425
voodoo47Quote
yep, this is why only a couple of people are willing to work with the AI meshes,  @RocketMan and @Paynamia being one of the few.. two of the few?
662ac548d896b
RocketManQuote
First, you need Free the Objects, which contains all the utilities needed to convert meshes back and forth:
https://www.systemshock.org/index.php?wap2;topic=3092.0

Then you need to get your hands on a bipedal mesh that has limit planes and boxes.  Do you have Thief?  I believe either Thief or Thief II have the .e files for all the models on them.  I don't own either game myself so I'm going on hearsay.  If you don't have one I can give you Garrett. 

Once you get that far the process is essentially, run the .e file through the tools to get a 3ds file, delete the mesh but not the planes and boxes and then create your new mesh on top of that.  Re-save and run it through the tools to go from 3ds to .e to .bin.   The bin file is the final product that the game will recognize, provided you put it in the correct folder in the game.  Depending on how you have modded or not modded the game, it will go in a different location but for an unmodded game you can create a "mesh" folder in the game root with a "txt16" folder inside that for textures and that's enough.

Unfortunately I know absolutely nothing about blender so I can't advise at all on that.  I only use 3ds Max.
662ac548d8ac9
ZenQuote
This is perfect! Exactly what I was after- though it looks like Free the Objects is missing n3ds2e and BSP, which are needed to convert back from .3ds to .e and then to .bin and .cal, luckily I was able to find those on this https://thiefmissions.com/lpg/Tools.html

Unless I misread the readme's and BintoE also converts .e to .bin.

I had no idea about the mesh folder, that's a huge help as well!
662ac548d8e3f
RocketManQuote

Quote by Zen:
though it looks like Free the Objects is missing n3ds2e and BSP, which are needed to convert back from .3ds to .e and then to .bin and .cal, luckily I was able to find those on this Thief modding site.

My memory must be faulty.  It's been a while but I thought everything was in 1 zip.  Maybe there's another package that has them all in 1 place or I did what you did and forgot having gone through the effort.

Oh.. and there's this, if you have the patience for low quality rambling.

https://www.systemshock.org/index.php?wap2;topic=9185
Page: 1/2▶▶

Legal stuff

Privacy Policy & Terms of Service Contact