665b06fc697b8

665b06fc6a70e
1 Guest is here.

Topic: Ammo vending machines, Bioshock and stuff Read 4743 times  

665b06fc6b28csarge945

665b06fc6b2f4
Played a little bit more. Oh my god, there is a literal ammunition vending machine in one of the storage closets. No, not a hacked replicator. An actual dedicated machine whose sole functional purpose is exchanging money for bullets.

This sort of thing was stupid in Bioshock, where it could barely be handwaved with "Well they're a bunch of insane libertarians", but HERE? On a corporate owned and operated space station? How in the everloving fuck do you even begin to justify the existence of these things? Does the security staff have to buy their own ammo? Does the Medical deck have a shooting range I don't know about?

To be fair, even the unhacked replicators sell bullets in SS2.

I still think this is a pretty dumb design though.

665b06fc6b5e0RocketMan

665b06fc6b62f
The way it was done in SS2 never really bothered me but it was a mechanic I could have easily done without.  There's too much ammo in the game as it is.  Bioshock was literally a carnival (the circus of values? wtf) and I hated everything about its goofy stupid gimmicks and the horrible paper mache artwork.  If it wasn't for some of the redeeming parts of the gameplay I would not have considered it worth my time to play.  SS1 wasn't perfect either but like SS2 I didn't notice its flaws, the game was that good.  There's no point in adding vending machines that were never there and having this whole currency system to support it.  Patches and items laying on the ground or in corpses and crates is fine.  There are other ways to improve the game... like what they mostly did with cyberspace.

665b06fc6b712sarge945

665b06fc6b761
It makes a bit more sense in SS2 because it's conceivable that Xerxes may have added the recipe to the replicators in order to arm the many, OR the survivors/resistance added the recipes to make bullets more easily available to everyone fighting back.

There's an unexplained but plausible reason why bullets are available.

In SSR the problem is one of hardware. You can't just "enable" bullet selling. You have to ship up machinery etc.

665b06fc6b850krumpet

665b06fc6b89c
Maybe somebody smuggled the ammo machine onboard.

665b06fc6c01eXkilljoy98

• Company: N/A
665b06fc6c079
Played a little bit more. Oh my god, there is a literal ammunition vending machine in one of the storage closets. No, not a hacked replicator. An actual dedicated machine whose sole functional purpose is exchanging money for bullets.

This sort of thing was stupid in Bioshock, where it could barely be handwaved with "Well they're a bunch of insane libertarians", but HERE? On a corporate owned and operated space station? How in the everloving fuck do you even begin to justify the existence of these things? Does the security staff have to buy their own ammo? Does the Medical deck have a shooting range I don't know about?

I mean SS2 had bullets in vending machines and Bioshock it made sense given the civil war and the objectivists.

For the remake I assume they are there for security tho I guess then why would they be paid for?, eh I guess it helps not to think about it too much but yeah it is a point I suppose

I guess it's one of those things that doesn't affect the game much for me, yeah I wish there was an explanation, but I can look past it as it is a small thing and the games has issues that impact the game much much more

The way it was done in SS2 never really bothered me but it was a mechanic I could have easily done without.  There's too much ammo in the game as it is.  Bioshock was literally a carnival (the circus of values? wtf) and I hated everything about its goofy stupid gimmicks and the horrible paper mache artwork.  If it wasn't for some of the redeeming parts of the gameplay I would not have considered it worth my time to play.  SS1 wasn't perfect either but like SS2 I didn't notice its flaws, the game was that good.  There's no point in adding vending machines that were never there and having this whole currency system to support it.  Patches and items laying on the ground or in corpses and crates is fine.  There are other ways to improve the game... like what they mostly did with cyberspace.

I mean I never thought SS2 had too much ammo. Bioshock, I mean there isn't anything wrong with a clown themed vending machine, and what gimmicks?, it didn't have any, it had gameplay mechanics, good ones. Also what paper mache artwork? it didn't have any and the art there was there was/is great.

I get it, you hate Bioshock for some reason and have odd complaints, well I love it, but let's agree to disagree and stay on track.

If you can look past it in SS2, I'd say you can do the same for SSR and Bioshock. Bioshock is good, SSR is well it's a mixed bag imo

For cyberspace there are aspects of the original I actually prefer.

I don't want this to get taken off topic, but Bioshock is a great game, and for stuff like this I guess it helps not to think of it and plus it is a small thing that doesn't affect the game much, tho an explanation would have been nice
« Last Edit: 17. February 2023, 02:50:47 by Moderator »

665b06fc6c277ZylonBane

665b06fc6c2ca
Bioshock is not a great game. Bioshock is a mediocre FPS that people lose their shit over because it had a somewhat interesting setting and really marketable character designs.

As for ammo vending machines, there are none in SS2. What SS2 has is replicators, which by definition can make almost anything. That's the difference between SS2 and this remake-- a plausible explanation for why you can buy ammo. There's nothing to "look past".

Remember, we're talking about a game where the entire R-grade implant conceit exists for the sole purpose of providing an in-game explanation for your HUD. Looking Glass understood how important it is to build a world that, no matter how fantastical, is logically self-consistent. A logical world world is an immersive world.

Sadly, Night Dive doesn't seem to get this at all.
Acknowledged by 4 members: Nameless Voice, Briareos H, Chandlermaki, RoSoDude

665b06fc6c704Xkilljoy98

665b06fc6c769
Bioshock is not a great game. Bioshock is a mediocre FPS that people lose their shit over because it had a somewhat interesting setting and really marketable character designs.

As for ammo vending machines, there are none in SS2. What SS2 has is replicators, which by definition can make almost anything. That's the difference between SS2 and this remake-- a plausible explanation for why you can buy ammo. There's nothing to "look past".

Remember, we're talking about a game where the entire R-grade implant conceit exists for the sole purpose of providing an in-game explanation for your HUD. Looking Glass understood how important it is to build a world that, no matter how fantastical, is logically self-consistent. A logical world world is an immersive world.

Sadly, Night Dive doesn't seem to get this at all.

Bioshock IS a great game and it is far from a mediocre fps, it has a good story, setting, art, music, gameplay, etc

It's loved by many for a reason and I think Bioshock has more enjoyable and less stressful gameplay than SS2.

Yeah I said it, it trims the annoyances/fat, keeps what works, and improves upon it.

I imagine you hate it just cause it isn't SS2, which is stupid.

It's fine if you don't like it, but don't say the game is "objectively bad" cause that is a load of bs, at least have the curtosy to see why some like it and don't call them wrong or invalid for loving something.

Bioshock is a great game to many, even if not to you

It's like if I called System Shock bad and said anyone who liked it is wrong, now I wouldn't say that cause I love SS but the point is your "logic" can be used against you

Bioshock isn't System Shock, nor does it need to be, it's a different series with different standards

Plus Bioshock has more RPG elements than even SS1 and imo a better twist than SS2 (SS2 didn't make you care about polio and it told you the twist very early on)

Stop acting like just cause you don't like and can't seem to get why others do, that somehow means no one is allowed to like it, seriously learn what an opinion is, please

Yes but why do repilcators have ammo?
« Last Edit: 16. February 2023, 05:09:49 by Xkilljoy98 »

665b06fc6cb36ZylonBane

665b06fc6cb8e
Yes but why do repilcators have ammo?
Uh, are you sure you're the Queen of Shodanpedia? Because you're asking questions like you've never even played SS2.

665b06fc6cdb2Xkilljoy98

665b06fc6ce02
ZylonBaneWell 'soooooorry' it's apparently so obvious. /s

Afaik there is no official explanation only guesses. I imagine it is due to people putting them in the vending machines, but iirc there isn't an explanation

Yes I have played SS2 and no I don't recall an explanation

if there is, then ok I forgot something, I don't replay SS2 all the time to the point that I memorize every detail

Hell I have played SS1 more than SS2

Also ignore what else I said, that's fine, tho for the sake of avoiding an argument maybe that is for the best

And yes you can play a game and miss a detail (assuming the detail is there)
« Last Edit: 16. February 2023, 04:50:06 by Xkilljoy98 »

665b06fc6cef3ZylonBane

665b06fc6cf49
They sell ammo because they've been hacked. When you hack a replicator Xerxes announces "Replicator database reinitialized."

The first replicator you find that sells ammo even has a psychic vision of a guy saying "God damn, somebody's hacked into this thing again."

So Irrational made it very clear that selling ammo isn't the intended purpose of the Valu-Reps.
Acknowledged by 3 members: Nameless Voice, voodoo47, RoSoDude

665b06fc6d206Xkilljoy98

665b06fc6d256
They sell ammo because they've been hacked. When you hack a replicator Xerxes announces "Replicator database reinitialized."

The first replicator you find that sells ammo even has a psychic vision of a guy saying "God damn, somebody's hacked into this thing again."

Ok, well that is a likely reason, iirc there are some nonhacked vending machines that have that

I didn't think of that cause there isn't a character that says it and frankly I never cared enough to wonder or ask the question, somethings are just there for gameplay

665b06fc6d854RocketMan

665b06fc6d8b2
I mean I never thought SS2 had too much ammo. Bioshock, I mean there isn't anything wrong with a clown themed vending machine, and what gimmicks?, it didn't have any, it had gameplay mechanics, good ones. Also what paper mache artwork? it didn't have any and the art there was there was/is great.

I get it, you hate Bioshock for some reason and have odd complaints, well I love it, but let's agree to disagree and stay on track.

If you can look past it in SS2, I'd say you can do the same for SSR and Bioshock. Bioshock is good, SSR is well it's a mixed bag imo

For cyberspace there are aspects of the original I actually prefer.

I don't want this to get taken off topic, but Bioshock is a great game, and for stuff like this I guess it helps not to think of it and plus it is a small thing that doesn't affect the game much, tho an explanation would have been nice

I don't hate it and I wouldn't go so far as to say it's a bad game.  I replay it from time to time.  As I said, it has some redeeming qualities to it. But you have to look past a lot and forgive its many fuckups.

SS2 having too much ammo depends on whether you play the game carefully or recklessly.  If you're careful, you end up with a ton of everything later in the game, to the point where there's no fear of wasting it.  This is contrary to how the game starts, which I particularly enjoy.

public rant() {
There is definitely something wrong with having clown vending machines.  It's almost like the game is laughing at itself.  Was there any reason to totally obliterate the atmosphere every time you get within 50 meters of one of these things?  I consider the way it employs all the various vending machines and vita chambers and plumb-hacking to be gimmicky compared to how SS1 and 2 did it because it's very unrealistic and not within your normal tolerance of realism for an unrealistic fiction.

Paper mache is how I describe the shiny mannequin, candle-wax looking, sewn on goddamn luncheon meat masks that every character has, the super saturated glowy colours, grape pie-filling blood and the awkward as fuck animations that look like Geppetto made balsa wood puppets running for the toilet.  But that's me.
}

The only element of SS1 that was lacking, and completely missing from SS2 was cyberspace, although they had their charm.  SSR has done a faithful enough job retooling that.  They also get the artistry right in places.  But I think all the things they've gotten wrong and continue to get wrong has been beaten to death.
« Last Edit: 16. February 2023, 07:59:49 by RocketMan »

665b06fc6d9dbicemann

665b06fc6da26
A game is a success or failure due to the sum of its parts.

Great cyberspace but then sucky everything else = a failure.

665b06fc6db25Nameless Voice

665b06fc6db6e
People can love games which are objectively bad.

I do it all the time.  Doesn't change that at least parts of those games are objectively bad.

665b06fc6dd9cZylonBane

665b06fc6ddec
frankly I never cared enough to wonder or ask the question
Suddenly I'm able to understand why you think so highly of Bioshock.
Acknowledged by: Join2

665b06fc6e36eChandlermaki

665b06fc6e3d3

You uh… do know where you are, right?

He’s right on the money. I’d venture to guess that most of us here share similar sentiments. I was an impressionable 13 year old when Bioshock was released, and even then, it was one of the most disappointing games I’ve ever played. I didn’t buy the spiritual successor to SS2 just to be met with a pretentious action game.

Bioshock 2 was more of the same, and Infinite is one of the saddest excuses for a video game that I’ve ever had the misfortune of sitting through.

So yeah. Forgive us for being a bit peeved that this fanbase is being ignored for “mass market appeal”, again.
« Last Edit: 16. February 2023, 14:54:11 by Chandlermaki »

665b06fc6f014Xkilljoy98

665b06fc6f0c1
I don't hate it and I wouldn't go so far as to say it's a bad game.  I replay it from time to time.  As I said, it has some redeeming qualities to it. But you have to look past a lot and forgive its many fuckups.

SS2 having too much ammo depends on whether you play the game carefully or recklessly.  If you're careful, you end up with a ton of everything later in the game, to the point where there's no fear of wasting it.  This is contrary to how the game starts, which I particularly enjoy.

public rant() {
There is definitely something wrong with having clown vending machines.  It's almost like the game is laughing at itself.  Was there any reason to totally obliterate the atmosphere every time you get within 50 meters of one of these things?  I consider the way it employs all the various vending machines and vita chambers and plumb-hacking to be gimmicky compared to how SS1 and 2 did it because it's very unrealistic and not within your normal tolerance of realism for an unrealistic fiction.

Paper mache is how I describe the shiny mannequin, candle-wax looking, sewn on goddamn luncheon meat masks that every character has, the super saturated glowy colours, grape pie-filling blood and the awkward as fuck animations that look like Geppetto made balsa wood puppets running for the toilet.  But that's me.
}

The only element of SS1 that was lacking, and completely missing from SS2 was cyberspace, although they had their charm.  SSR has done a faithful enough job retooling that.  They also get the artistry right in places.  But I think all the things they've gotten wrong and continue to get wrong has been beaten to death.

I mean that's more subjective as it doesn't really have many fuck ups if any, at least to me, I do like it more than SS2, tho I love both games to death

There isn't anything wrong with clown vending machines, it isn't laughing at itself, it's just a clown and it doesn't destroy the atmosphere it adds to it, it tells you apart of rapture. vita chambers and vending machines aren't really gimmicky, tho the hacking in bs1 isn't that great and is much better in bs2. But none of these things take away from the realism and all make sense within the world it is set in. Sounds like a you problem but moving on.

Character wise there aren't any with out of place colors and the masks look fine, they aren't candle wax looking or shiny. also animations and blood look fine, and blood doesn't look purple.

Oh well I guess I always run out near the end so idk, maybe I am not playing efficiently I guess

For SS1 I love cyberspace, it's one of my fav parts, and for the remake there are aspects in which it doesn't translate such as the transparent walls and the blackness.

Plus I do agree that SSR fucks up in many areas

People can love games which are objectively bad.

I do it all the time.  Doesn't change that at least parts of those games are objectively bad.

Well for Bioshock I and many others would argue it's far from objectively bad but it is true that games have pros and cons, even if some people can't agree on what those are

You uh… do know where you are, right?

He’s right on the money. I’d venture to guess that most of us here share similar sentiments. I was an impressionable 13 year old when Bioshock was released, and even then, it was one of the most disappointing games I’ve ever played. I didn’t buy the spiritual successor to SS2 just to be met with a pretentious action game.

Bioshock 2 was more of the same, and Infinite is one of the saddest excuses for a video game that I’ve ever had the misfortune of sitting through.

So yeah. Forgive us for being a bit peeved that this fanbase is being ignored for “mass market appeal”, again.

I know where I am, it's why I don't talk about Bioshock here cause I know how people feel about it (for some reason), they act like it should be just like SS2 for some reason.

BS isn't a pretentious action game, it's amazing, and it takes what SS did well and improves in some areas and makes it more enjoyable for some people. Also I started with Bioshock.

I played the BS games when I was around 12 or 13 and it was and is one of the best games I have ever played, same with SS.

BS2 improved upon 1 but also continued with what made it good, Infinite is a good game but lacks some important things from BS 1 and 2.

All in all though, stop comparing BS and SS, they aren't the same series at all, they just share ideas.

It isn't "mass market appeal", they tried to make BS more RPG heavy and it didn't work so they changed stuff during development, and some people actually like it better that way and like the gameplay, story, etc more.

Here's the thing BS isn't SS, and thus has different standards.

Suddenly I'm able to understand why you think so highly of Bioshock.

I take offense to that, I think deeply about things, I just don't always question everything such as stuff like vending machines cause who fucking cares, I think about more important things.

Plus BS is a deep game
« Last Edit: 17. February 2023, 07:03:19 by Xkilljoy98 »
665b06fc6f3f4
sarge945I found enjoyment out of the Demo. I state my problems because i want those fixed, and have for the past.... Eight Years. I won't dogpile you for liking what's there, but given everything I was hoping for something more.

665b06fc6f636Creamy

• Company: Nightdive Studios (community Discord Moderator)
665b06fc6f685
Plus BS is a deep game
I realize you weren't trying to make a pun here, but it still made me laugh.
Acknowledged by: RocketMan

665b06fc6fc5fZylonBane

665b06fc6fcb6
It isn't "mass market appeal", they tried to make BS more RPG heavy
LOLWUT. BS doesn't have half the RPG mechanics that SS2 did.

665b06fc6febeXkilljoy98

665b06fc6ff0e
LOLWUT. BS doesn't have half the RPG mechanics that SS2 did.

I mean they tried it during development but according to them it didn't work for what they wanted, you'd know that if you bothered to finish what I wrote

665b06fc703feRoSoDude

665b06fc70458
Bioshock was initially pitched as a blockbuster game, and the publisher gave them $25M to work on it. After the commercial failure of System Shock 2, they wanted a massive hit.

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2014-04-17-the-true-story-of-bioshock

"One of the central themes of BioShock's development was the tension between our initial aim to make a spiritual sequel to System Shock 2 and the need to make a very successful mass-market console game," recalls LeBreton. "Shortly after the game's strong showing at E3 2006, Ken emerged from discussions with 2K marketing and announced to the team that we would be marketing the game as a shooter - but not to worry, we were still making the same smart FPS/RPG hybrid, we might just make a few small design adjustments here and there to make it accessible to the Halo crowd."

You can see the result of those supposed "small design adjustments" in the final game.

For the record, I played Bioshock before I played any of the System Shock games, and it still bored me to tears (in fact, it probably delayed me playing System Shock for fear it would be similar, even though I had become a big fan of Deus Ex). It's just not particularly good as an FPS (RPG lite hybrid) on its own merits, regardless of any comparisons to SS2. It's just that after playing SS2 I understood why there were all these vestigial systems that seemed pointless without context. Like yeah, there's psionics, hacking, research, ammo types, vending machines but... why? None of it serves a purpose.

You don't make any character building choices since you're forced to have X number of tonics of each type and plasmids are mostly a linear progression, and you get enough Adam to purchase most everything. So where is there an RPG layer? Because SS2 had it, idk.

The whole medkit/ammo type/looting situation is pointless since there's no meaningful scarcity, you're more likely to hit stack limits on everything than you are to find yourself low on any particular resource. So why is there this fake survival element? Because SS2 had it, idk.

Hacking is a tedious minigame that pauses the world around you, removing all tension with it. You win as long as you slot the correct engineering tonics, making security systems a nuisance. So why is there hacking? Because SS2 had it, idk.

Research is just a matter of pointing and clicking at an enemy while unseen. It's boring but mandatory because enemy health skyrockets in the second half of the game and you need the damage bonuses to keep up... a total wash. So why is there research? Because SS2 had it, idk.

You can go on and on with every mechanic and system in Bioshock (don't get me started on Vita chambers -- how far Ultima Underworld's Silver Sapling hath fallen!). There's maybe a tiny bit more environmental interactivity but it doesn't mean anything if the fundamentals are junk.
Acknowledged by 2 members: Nameless Voice, ZylonBane

665b06fc70c53Xkilljoy98

665b06fc70ca9
Bioshock was initially pitched as a blockbuster game, and the publisher gave them $25M to work on it. After the commercial failure of System Shock 2, they wanted a massive hit.

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2014-04-17-the-true-story-of-bioshock

You can see the result of those supposed "small design adjustments" in the final game.

For the record, I played Bioshock before I played any of the System Shock games, and it still bored me to tears (in fact, it probably delayed me playing System Shock for fear it would be similar, even though I had become a big fan of Deus Ex). It's just not particularly good as an FPS (RPG lite hybrid) on its own merits, regardless of any comparisons to SS2. It's just that after playing SS2 I understood why there were all these vestigial systems that seemed pointless without context. Like yeah, there's psionics, hacking, research, ammo types, vending machines but... why? None of it serves a purpose.

You don't make any character building choices since you're forced to have X number of tonics of each type and plasmids are mostly a linear progression, and you get enough Adam to purchase most everything. So where is there an RPG layer? Because SS2 had it, idk.

The whole medkit/ammo type/looting situation is pointless since there's no meaningful scarcity, you're more likely to hit stack limits on everything than you are to find yourself low on any particular resource. So why is there this fake survival element? Because SS2 had it, idk.

Hacking is a tedious minigame that pauses the world around you, removing all tension with it. You win as long as you slot the correct engineering tonics, making security systems a nuisance. So why is there hacking? Because SS2 had it, idk.

Research is just a matter of pointing and clicking at an enemy while unseen. It's boring but mandatory because enemy health skyrockets in the second half of the game and you need the damage bonuses to keep up... a total wash. So why is there research? Because SS2 had it, idk.

You can go on and on with every mechanic and system in Bioshock (don't get me started on Vita chambers -- how far Ultima Underworld's Silver Sapling hath fallen!). There's maybe a tiny bit more environmental interactivity but it doesn't mean anything if the fundamentals are junk.

I mean IDK how it bored you to tears as I loved it, but to each their own I suppose, tho I argue it is good as an FPS/RPG hybrid.

Plus stuff like vending machines, plasmids, tonics, hacking, research, etc does serve a purpose.

It does have character building as you can choose what you upgrade

Hacking isn't perfect and is far better in BS2 but I still like BS hacking more than SS2s

Research isn't perfect and is better in BS2, but again I suppose it is a bit more involved in some ways than SS2. Tho it isn't mandatory as you can get by without it

Vita Chambers are fine, maybe they should have been turned on first idk, but I don't mind them.

The fundamentals are not junk, it all works fine

I'm sorry that you all didn't enjoy the game the same way I did but even if you dislike it at least acknowledge that it's an opinon and understand that some do and think that it is good. Cause fun fact, not everyone wants every game to be SS2, some people like a bit of streamlining if it is less frustrating for them.

Anyway this is getting off topic
« Last Edit: 16. February 2023, 18:01:27 by Xkilljoy98 »

665b06fc70f07RocketMan

665b06fc70f57
many things...

You're allowed to like the game and I don't think you ought to be antagonized because of it.  So far people have been raising points that are at least common enough that they're not off the wall but if you don't agree, things could go downhill.  Especially since your rebuttal is to pick every point made and to say, As for X being Y, X is not Y! and leaving it there.  Again, it's ok if you like the game the way it is but you'd get a better response if you could explain why a given point being made is invalid in your opinion, since a lot of us feel these things viscerally and can also justify the feelings logically.
1 Guest is here.
Non ti piace il mio nuovo look?
Contact SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2016, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies
FEEP
665b06fc71759