666d28fde7fcc

666d28fde85a5
1 Guest is here.

666d28fde8b1ckrumpet

666d28fde8b7c
Looking to read some sci-fi, potentially as inspiration for game mod design. Preferably books that are closer to the science fiction end of the scale, eg about implications of tech or natural disasters or so on where the author attempts to be somewhat scientifically plausible, as opposed to say Star Wars fantasy/magic side of sci-fi.
666d28fde8c84
I've just finished the Remembrance of Earth's past trilogy by Liu Cixin, would recommend. Sounds like it fits under the categories you gave
Acknowledged by: krumpet

666d28fde8d9bNameless Voice

666d28fde8e07
What have you already read?

Can always suggest classic Isaac Asimov books for interesting "implications of future tech or society" stories.

666d28fde8f87ZylonBane

666d28fde8fdb
Narrowing more specifically to "disaster" scifi and not just hard scifi in general...

The Two Faces of Tomorrow

Blood Music

The Killing Star
Acknowledged by: krumpet

666d28fde92b2krumpet

666d28fde930a
Nameless VoiceNothing yet, just a bit about subgenres. Have seen Asimov's name come up, along with Arthur C Clarke and Robert Heinlein

666d28fde93c7Nameless Voice

666d28fde9413
You probably also want to check out Ursula K. LeGuin, she wrote a lot of speculative sci-fi, often about potential future societies (though I'll admit I never got around to reading much of her work myself.)

666d28fde9511Ivan The Insect

666d28fde9562
Not exactly disaster per se but do check out Warren Fahy's Fragment if you want a more realistic take on the monster island trope.

666d28fde97c4RoSoDude

666d28fde9811
Hugh Howey's Wool is a good apocalyptic sci-fi novel. I never read the sequels, though.
666d28fde99d8
It's been a month, so I assume OP has already found some good books to read, but I've just finished reading William Gibson's first two trilogies (the Sprawl and the Bridge) and since, this being a System Shock forum, most people here are well acquainted with cyberpunk, I couldn't recommend them enough to anyone who hasn't already read them. Having gotten to know the genre mostly through videogames and anime/manga, seeing it conveyed so well in a literary form was a very interesting experience. Many people seem to consider Gibson's work as a kind of literary blueprint to the genre and having finally read his books I couldn't agree more.

His short stories are pretty good also, they're definitely a worthwhile read if you don't feel like jumping into his novels straight away.
1 Guest is here.
Sim-Salamander Sim-Salabim. Ich kann wieder zaubern!
Contact SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2016, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies
FEEP
666d28fdea96b