665af713658e6

665af7136624b
1 Guest is here.

Topic: Blue Mod Manager Addon Priority order Read 1267 times  

665af713668dd
This will probably appear obvious to most, but what is the order of loading priority for the blue mod manager?

Is the highest addon (ie lowest number) in the list considered as the most important / overwriting others, or is the lowest one (aka highest number)?

thx

665af71366a5bvoodoo47

665af71366aae
it's called priority, and whatever is on top (lowest number) has the highest priority. so if you have two mods that overwrite script slot 0 on the shotgun hybrid, then the mod with the higher position (lower number) will have the final say (probably working, and probably breaking the mod with the lower priority).

generally, if you have more than 30 SS2 mods active, you should rethink your life approach to this.
665af71366bd1
I have 47, though quite well considered all in all. Too late to rethink life altogether, but appreciate your help here also ;-)

665af71366d06voodoo47

665af71366d75
the number is appreciated.
665af71366eca
hahaha, of course.

here's the proof that it ain't just some black magic mumbo jumbo ;-)

[SS2 Blue Mod Manager 1.16 05_05_2023 20_42_01.png expired]

665af71366fccZylonBane

665af71367019
You're not even running the current version of 400.

665af713672d4sarge945

665af7136733d
A lot of people find it confusing because the average PC gamers experience of modding involves the various mod managers for Bethesda games, all of which prioritise mods top->bottom. Here, the order is bottom->top, so I can see why it trips some people up.

665af7136742cvoodoo47

665af7136747b
"whoever is on top, has the final say" makes much more sense to me. also priority and importance is not the same thing.

and happy we are not that (bethesda mod managers) actually, my experience was terrible.
« Last Edit: 06. May 2023, 08:53:37 by voodoo47 »

665af71367727sarge945

665af71367778
and happy we are not that (bethesda mod managers) actually, my experience was terrible.

The ability to download mods directly into the launcher by just clicking a button on the internet is kinda nice, but the fact that all of the bethesda mod managers are mostly bloatware really bogs down the experience.

Not to mention that even if they were perfect, at the end of the day, you'd still be playing a bethesda game.

I feel like it makes sense going from top to bottom. It's the same way we process words on a page, and generally "top to bottom" is how a lot of things work in the real world.

665af71367820voodoo47

665af7136786c
yes, but we build things from bottom to top. either way, too late to be changing it now.
665af71367aa9
ZylonBane
That's good to know, thanks. That's the 'AccFam20' bit, isn't it?

EDIT: nvm, found it.
« Last Edit: 06. May 2023, 23:12:30 by AT »
665af71367da9
sarge945
For me it's not bethesda experience that invites confusion.
Rather, it's the understanding that one can rationalise hierarchical structuring in many ways different to one's own initial instincts, hence:

- numpad/dial pad conundrums,

- westerners writing left to right (right-hand practicality) easterners writing right to left (sun movement east to west symbolism),

- hierarchy top to bottom (conventional gravitational perspective; object stacking) and bottom upwards (spherical reasoning; planetary core towards outer cosmic layers),

- larger number 'bigger' than lower, hence taking precedence / lower number more 'prime' than higher, hence taking precedence
etc

That said, my instinctive guess is also "whatever's on 'top' has priority" but end of the day ... best to just ask ;)

665af7136828fsarge945

665af713682ee
sarge945
For me it's not bethesda experience that invites confusion.
Rather, it's the understanding that one can rationalise hierarchical structuring in many ways different to one's own initial instincts, hence:

- numpad/dial pad conundrums,

- westerners writing left to right (right-hand practicality) easterners writing right to left (sun movement east to west symbolism),

- hierarchy top to bottom (conventional gravitational perspective; object stacking) and bottom upwards (spherical reasoning; planetary core towards outer cosmic layers),

- larger number 'bigger' than lower, hence taking precedence / lower number more 'prime' than higher, hence taking precedence
etc

That said, my instinctive guess is also "whatever's on 'top' has priority" but end of the day ... best to just ask ;)
Programmers sought to fix this issue once and for all by inventing "ascending" and "descending" order.

But then you have to figure out: Does the mod manager load mod data in ascending order and overwrite (meaning the mods at the top will override the ones at the bottom), or does it load mod data in ascending order and skip existing files (meaning the mods at the bottom will override the ones at the top).

Life is a mystery and nobody is ever going to solve this confusion. It's like when you're facing me and say "turn left", do you mean my left or your left?

Better to just embrace the confusion and have a good laugh at how humans can eradicate diseases and solve big complicated infrastructure problems, but we can't reliably give each other directions or agree on a standard for lists.
665af71368480
Indeed. Noah Chomsky's your man there, or Ludwig Wittgenstein, if you check his 'beetle in the box' thought experiment.

Come to think of it, even definitions of words in dictionaries require for you to understand the context of all the other words used to define the subject.

The paradox of it is that the more deeply you realise how relative majority of human culturally-coined reasoning is, the more you seem like a moron asking questions about 'obvious' stuff. Such as a mod manager's directional hierarchy, haha.

665af7136852fsarge945

665af7136857f
The only way to fix this is to change the mod manager to prioritise mods in random order on each game load :)
665af7136865c
Equality of outcome mode engaged!
1 Guest is here.
In looking at a situation where humanity has gone awry
Contact SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2016, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies
FEEP
665af71368ced