665aeeb919065

Page: « 1 ... 3 [4] 5 »
665aeeb91997a
1 Guest is here.

Topic: Doom & Gloom
Read 2072 times  

665aeeb91a0e4
Yes, but no. Every man for himself (and his people) is what lead to this sorry state in the first place, and is most definitely very noticeable these days among even the common populace. But I get what you're saying. As we're the powerless ones, that is literally all we can do...or so we tell ourselves.

665aeeb91a22evoodoo47

665aeeb91a28a
every man for himself and do whatever you can do with your own two hands are not the same thing.
Acknowledged by 2 members: icemann, Join2

665aeeb91a48fXkilljoy98

• Company: N/A
665aeeb91a4e7
There is a middle ground between helping just yourself or just others

Helping both yourself and others, since both are important

665aeeb91a5eeicemann

665aeeb91a63e
Treat others as you yourself would like to be treated. Words I live by.

665aeeb91a8f1Nameless Voice

665aeeb91a942
Words that no world leader lives by!
Acknowledged by: icemann
665aeeb91ab5e
To be fair to world leaders (must we?), many immediately below them and beside them would gladly stab them in the back literally or more commonly figuratively, for an opportunity to take their place or nation. Look at JFK. Russia's Navalny. Or anyone that was opposition and thrown from a 20 story window. Look at "give up your nukes and we'll protect or not invade you" treaties (Iraq, Ukraine). Power-crazed people in politics. It's a cutthroat world out there, so with that in mind you cant display any weakness in a lot of situations, which many confuse kindness and fairness with. I am also thoroughly convinced most are absolute puppets/figureheads on their knees to a deep state controlling most of the western world. Go against them (such as by taking care of the people, which is a matter of $ and a conflict of interest) and you'll be dealt with by a window-throwing equivalent, maybe get strangled in your prison cell, or more simply just media hellstorm fabricated character assassination or made up crimes. Go with them, you'll be rewarded with riches, a seat in this nefarious chamber, and maybe even a trip to Epstein Island 2.0 and god knows what other degenerate sick and twisted playgrounds from hell hidden in bunkers they may have.

I have no proof and don't think this is matter of fact, of course. I am merely a lunatic tinfoil hat person easily influenced by media like video games, movies, comedians, TV shows, literacy, world history, simply keeping perception stat high...
« Last Edit: 07. March 2024, 12:17:49 by Join2 »
665aeeb91adcf
https://www.bbc.com/news/business-68498937

Warning of almost 20 years of pay stagnation

A separate think tank said there was "a conspiracy of silence" between the main parties over tax and spending choices.

It's more than 20 years in reality. Between tax increases, bare minimum wage increases, overall inflation & real estate insanity, purchasing power has been declining since the 70s. Even though wages have gone up at an extremely slow rate over those fifty years, what you can actually do with it is very little but survive in a lot of cases. I suppose I should be "grateful" I make above average pay, the significant portion of the population beneath me are in straight up indentured slavery. Food, rent, that's it. Those lucky to live with parents escape the greedy short-sighted self-serving landlords at least.

Surprised the BBC are allowed to publish this since they're state-owned. They used to have an allegedly credible rep of free press journalism regardless. @Nameless Voice your thoughts since you're close to home? Maybe just throwing the public a bone. Most people are aware pay is garbage these days anyway.
« Last Edit: 07. March 2024, 13:06:54 by Join2 »

665aeeb91af96Nameless Voice

665aeeb91b018
Well, the UK is very similar to the USA in terms of political parties, with there being basically no difference between the Conservatives and Labour under Starmer - they both have 95% the same policies, but just with different messaging.

The article was a bit dense so I only skimmed it, but it looks like they're mostly taking about taxation and government spending there, not about wages/salaries.

In other words, they're talking about austerity again.  The economy is declining, so they want to slash spending on public services.  That also tends to align with their economy philosophy, which is basically that everything should be privately run for profit.  Public services run for the common good rather than pure profit are anathema to their world view.

Austerity was really bad for most people in Europe the last time it happened - after the financial crisis caused by the banking crash.  They cut lots of public services in order to use the funds to pay back the banks and bankers who caused the crash.

(Oh, except in Iceland, who just let the banks fail and only guaranteed their own peoples' savings, which lead to them recovering from the crash much faster.)

As for why the BBC can publish this - most news sources need to post a few critical articles to keep themselves appearing "balanced", so long as it's not about anything too important.  Also, while it's not something I generally read myself, I've seen some business-related articles (in various places) which are more honest about financial issues than a lot of other media, because it's important for business people / investors to know these things.
Acknowledged by: Join2
665aeeb91b1c6
"Is artificial intelligence the great filter that makes advanced technical civilisations rare in the universe?"
https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0094576524001772?dgcid=rss_sd_all#sec6

665aeeb91b25evoodoo47

665aeeb91b2b0
lets find out!

as long as the lasers are purple, I'm good.
665aeeb91b458
If SETI also serves as a lens through which we can examine our own technological trajectory and societal challenges, the urgency of establishing comprehensive global AI regulations cannot be overstated. It behoves us to engage with these issues proactively, to develop and enforce prudent regulatory measures, and to strive for a balance between harnessing the benefits of AI and safeguarding against the existential risks it may pose. As we stand on the precipice of a new era in technological evolution, the actions we take now will determine the trajectory of our civilization for decades to come. The implied longevity timescales for the scenarios described here (approximately 100–200 years), underscores the necessity for our own technical civilization to intensify efforts to control and regulate AI. The continued presence of consciousness in the universe may depend on the success of strict global regulatory measures.

Our leaders are mostly evil, greedy, self-serving snakes. Or old out of touch zombies. Abandon all hope.

665aeeb91b4f3voodoo47

Acknowledged by: Join2

665aeeb91b627Nameless Voice

665aeeb91b67d
I feel that the most disturbing thing about AI is that the people working on it seem to be some of the very worst of humanity.

The people who love stealing art, the lead researcher who thinks genocides are great, the corporations doing everything for short-term profit without caring about the implications.  With those people teaching the AI, how could it ever become anything other than evil?

665aeeb91b752icemann

665aeeb91b79e
The other side to it, is that AI (plus computer related short cuts) is making us a species more dumber. If you take the general intelligence level of say 30 years ago and compare it today, be a lot higher back then.

Most people can't even be bothered to drive to the takeaway store anymore. They'd rather get it delivered via Ubereats. Sad days.

665aeeb91b840Nameless Voice

665aeeb91b894
What does driving to a takeaway have to do with being intelligent?

Sounds like a lot of effort, frustration, and pollution for little benefit.
665aeeb91bc34
The other side to it, is that AI (plus computer related short cuts) is making us a species more dumber. If you take the general intelligence level of say 30 years ago and compare it today, be a lot higher back then.

Most people can't even be bothered to drive to the takeaway store anymore. They'd rather get it delivered via Ubereats. Sad days.

I think so, too. I'm not even excluding myself there. I'm not at a Ubereats-level of lazyness yet though.
« Last Edit: 11. April 2024, 16:09:17 by fox »

665aeeb91bcdfvoodoo47

665aeeb91bd31
tools are just tools, they only bring out whatever was already inside.
665aeeb91bf56
It's not a matter of if dystopia happens, but when. That's just being realistic, especially when we're all led by socio/psychopaths, with North Korea being the most obvious example. So I guess for now we can only enjoy and appreciate what little remnants of normality & good healthy society remain.

Everyone looks so miserable these days. People always used to smile way back, now they have bags under their eyes, look tired, eyes to the floor. Not at all surprising giving the conditions, but it is sad to see.
« Last Edit: 11. April 2024, 16:43:47 by Join2 »
665aeeb91c0f1
Well, there are too many terribly violent nut cases running countries, most likely at any given time throughout human history. Just this morning I read that a strong contender for the current pole position emerged and asserted dominance (once again):

https://www.npr.org/2024/04/09/1243632570/chechnya-music-ban-bpm

« Last Edit: 11. April 2024, 16:54:20 by fox »
665aeeb91c1e8
Wow, demoralize the people some more. Can't even enjoy some romantic blues or slow jazz. Can't even rinse some drum & bass or metal at the gym. Fucking clown world.
665aeeb91c2d7
But you can enjoy the beautiful sounds of "political dissidents" thrown into boiling water every once in a while.

665aeeb91c584voodoo47

665aeeb91c5c1
People always used to smile way back
yes, and then sneakily reported you to kgb (or whatever equivalent of it your country had before '89) because you had a nicer vase on your tv in the living room, or a brother who sent you ham sometimes. thanks but no thanks, I'm fine with not-smiles.

665aeeb91c820Nameless Voice

665aeeb91c878
It's not a matter of if dystopia happens, but when. That's just being realistic, especially when we're all led by socio/psychopaths, with North Korea being the most obvious example.

I find it really weird, given what's happening in the world at the moment, that you pick North Korea's ... lunatic as the obvious example of a psychopath running the world.  He has almost no influence outside of his own tiny country, unlike the truly dangerous psychopaths in the so-called civilised West.

Your name:
This box must be left blank:

Trioptimum executive Edward ____ (Fill in the last name):
1 Guest is here.
Olfred: About difficulty, todays "normal" is yesterdays "easy".
Contact SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2016, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies
FEEP
665aeeb91d718