665b17a35d0e2

665b17a35de98
1 Guest is here.

665b17a35e440DarkMassacre

Re: System Shock mouselook/key mapping/high resolution mod
665b17a35e4aa
This is a great mod. I tried playing System Shock in the past but I could never get used to controlling looking, crouching, and leaning, so I stopped very early on and just played System Shock 2. With this mod though, I can actually play the original and I'm enjoying it immensely. Really, really good work. Now if I can only get the music working someday...
« Last Edit: 20. February 2010, 03:50:36 by DarkMassacre »

665b17a35e57ffixelbrumpf

665b17a35e5d3
I take it there is no way to bind reloading to a key? I lost huge amounts of health because I got surprised by enemies and had to reload my weapon which is impossible with mouselook on. Still, great work, Malba!
665b17a35e839
Combat has already become significantly easier with mouselook than it was in the original game.
Apart from having to press E to return to the inventory mode reloading works the same now as it always did. If that made you lose huge amounts of health, then you're simply not very good at playing the game and should consider restarting at a lower combat-difficulty level.
665b17a35e99c
How can I map the mouselook to enter? Below mapping doesn't seem to work. Enter still swings the pipe.

bind enter cmd.mlook
665b17a35ea97
Is there a way to force the game to always launch in a specific resolution with this mod?

665b17a35eb76Skizomeuh

665b17a35ebc8
The resolution settings, as for all the settings, are stored in the savegames. Just start a new game, set the game the way you want to. Save your game. You're done !

I must say this mod is a "tour de force", a major enhancement for this golden angular stone of gaming. Thanks a lot ! Yet now it's a must to play SS at hardest difficulty.

665b17a35ecddawertyp

665b17a35ed32
Hey Guys,

I have a problem with this mod.
if i try to start the both last versions there is only a black window for one second - not more.

If i run the first version I can only play in 640x480 resolution or lower. With higher resolutions the Monitor goes sleep without crashes. The only one solution is to go back to windows with alt+esc, shut down the game from the task bar and start it again.

What can I do to play the game in higher resolutions.

awt.

665b17a35ee1fStarunner

665b17a35ee78
Hello everyone, I am trying to run this with Dosbox and Boxer on OSX, they usually work perfectly. Unmodified Shock runs good too. I tried the first version of the patch and it would work fine, but made it very unstable. Dosbox would crash every few seconds or minutes, completely randomly. I tried the second version but now it says "Stub exec failed - dos4gw.exe no such file or directory" can anyone help? :(
dos4gw requirement and music problems
665b17a35f0fb
dos4gw is a memory extender that a lot of dos games used. I found a link to a download elsewhere on this site:

https://www.systemshock.org/index.php?action=dlattach;topic=113;msg=218;attach=269

When you open the zip file you'll see that there are multiple versions of the .exe inside, all named according to the version number. I used 1_97_2.exe. Copy the file from there to the same directory as cdshock.exe, and rename it to dos4gw.exe, then try launching the game. That worked for me.

I also had a problem with the music on System Shock Portable, but not the sound effects. The music did work on the original (non portable) version through dosbox, which I had also downloaded, but this doesn't have the high resolution graphics.

Eventually I found a posting here that advised that I had go into control panel, then "sounds and audio devices", then the audio tab. In the MIDI music playback section, pick Microsoft GS Wavetable SW Synth. Once I did this and restarted System Shock Portable the music played fine, though it runs a bit quick for the first few seconds and then settles down.

Hope this helps. :)
665b17a35f226
I already posted dos4gw.exe a few posts earlier in this thread...

665b17a35f30afuriousgeorge

665b17a35f35c
Anyone tried getting this to work on Ultima Underworld (1 or 2)?

Same engine, so it shouldn't be a pain. I would love to test it myself but I barely have time to read TTLG these days.

This mod has me creaming myself and crapping my pants at the same time. Today: SS1 with mouselook. Tomorrow: The second coming of Christ.

665b17a35f40eWulf Corbett

665b17a35f460
Fantastic work. I find 800x600 to be the smoothest resolution, but the actual mod is superb.

Mind you, it's confusing while using a laptop touch pad... I think I'll continue play with an actual mouse!

665b17a35f509CommunistCake

665b17a35f557
I can't get this to work. I've tried everything this thread but it still doesn't work. Any help?
665b17a35f6d4
It was all explained here. If you need more help, you need to be a bit more specific.

665b17a35f7a5CommunistCake

665b17a35f7f4
I already tired that. It doesn't work in DOSbox mode and DGVESA doesn't work on my computer for some reason. I tried it with Mouse2kv mode and nothing changed. Do I need to start a new game?
665b17a35f934
It's already been established that it works in DOSbox mode and there's no reason it shouldn't work in Mouse2kv mode.
Most likely you changed resolutions in the SSP launcher instead of changing it in game, as the linked guide states. Just follow that guide to the letter.

It should work with save games, I haven't tested that. In any case, please try it with a freshly extracted version of SystemShock-Portable, as the guide says. You can copy your save games over later.

665b17a35f9f6CommunistCake

665b17a35fa42
Well that worked! Thanks! The only problem now is that when ever I try look around in Mouse2kv it snaps back to the center and whenever I try to change the resolution, the bottom part gets boxed off and I can't move my mouse there. In the DOSbox version, it's fine, but it's very laggy. If you could fix that, it would be perfect.

665b17a35fb02gennoveus

665b17a35fb4f
Hi,

This mod is awesome! Just one thing; is it possible to re-map mouse keys? I went through the entire thread and it has been asked twice, but no answer so far.

Please help! I use a weird key config in FPSs, and I set right mouse button as walk forward.

And again,thanks for the cool mod!!!

665b17a35fc32Real Gecko

665b17a35fc86
Damn me!!! After playing SS2 and reading reviews of SS1 I always wanted to play it, but spooky keymaping and ebsence of mouselook always stoped me just after leaving neurosurgery chamber. And now I`m playing it!!! I`m playing!!! And I have only one problem - I`ve stuck on level 6:)))
Didn`t have any problems starting the mod at all:))) Everything is smooooooth and coooool. And I have only one question: HOW??? How did you do that??? Is there any sources available????
665b17a36007a
And I have only one problem - I`ve stuck on level 6:)))

If you're really stuck, here's a walkthrough including maps.

Malba hacked mouselook into the original executable, so there are no regular sources. At best he could give a description. To be honest, I'd rather see him continue working at the actual mod.

665b17a36015fReal Gecko

665b17a3601b2
Nyaaa, the walkthrough is for tourists, it breaks the fun gained from the game ;) I know that I need to get to the bridge, which is level 9 I suppose. But buttons in the elevator cabin leading higher then level 6 are inactive. There must be something I missed in audiologs, need to relisten them to get the clue:)))

665b17a360253Real Gecko

665b17a3602ac
yeah baby!!! now with soundfx 2000 installed on my system i can play SS1 directly under winXP without using DOSBox.*YAHOO*
« Last Edit: 01. April 2010, 09:58:58 by Real Gecko »
665b17a3603a5
Noice  :)

665b17a360b30Malba Tahan

665b17a360b7f
This mod is awesome! Just one thing; is it possible to re-map mouse keys? I went through the entire thread and it has been asked twice, but no answer so far.
No, it's not, at least until I figure how to do it (If I ever do...)

Malba hacked mouselook into the original executable, so there are no regular sources. At best he could give a description. To be honest, I'd rather see him continue working at the actual mod.

Here's some info:

1. I made a little program to convert Watcom's EXEs into OBJs (OMF). CDSHOCK.EXE -> CDSHOCK.OBJ
2. The program is also capable of patching the OMF. << see below patch.lua >>
3. Using patches I'm able to insert JMPs in order to link to external functions (for example: At address 0x00014C call my_mouseroutine
4. I write my own functions in C << see below >>
5. I compile my sources in OpenWatcom and link against CDSHOCK.OBJ, generating XCDSHOCK.EXE to keep the original CDHOSHOCK.EXE intact
6. How do I know where to patch? I use IDA to figure out where the game functions and data lie.

I may release the sources and binaries if you wish. However, they're buggy, and look like crap. I'm re-coding them on my spare time.
However, I have little time left (work 7 hours/day + two undergraduate courses at the same time = little time left), so
I'm only working on int occasionaly.

Code: [Select]
++++++++++++++++++++++++ extracted from patch.lua +++++++++++++++++++++++++

if patchMLook then
    addr = 0x2555EE - code_off;
    dd ( "mouse_routine_" );
    addr = 0x2556C5 - code_off;
    dd ( "mouse_routine_" );
    addr = 0x2556FA - code_off;
    dd ( "mouse_routine_" );
    addr = 0x255701 - code_off;
    dd ( "mouse_routine_" ); 
    addr = 0x2555E9 - code_off;
    dd ( "_mrtn_size" );
    addr = 0x2556C0 - code_off;
    dd ( "_mrtn_size" );

addr = big_physics_fn_;
    addr = 0x249A8E - code_off; -- input_frame
    ib( "mlookPhysics_", 5 );

addr = 0x201FF6 - code_off;
    dcall( "premlookPause_" );
    db( 0x90, 0x90 )

--addr = 0x249B8E - code_off ;
    --ib( "ALEX_check_keys_", 5 );
  end;

+++++++++++++++++++++++++ extracted from mlook.c ++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Code: [Select]
void mlookPhysics( struct pusharegs_s* regs )
{
  u32 i, j;
  u32 timerDelta;
  s32 x = mxmove;
  s32 y = mymove;
  u32 attr; 

mxmove -= x;
  mymove -= y;

timerDelta = *timer2_addr - last_timer;
  last_timer = *timer2_addr;

/*
  if ( ptrhackerstuff )
  {
    i = mot[ ptrhackerstuff->mot_idx ].ai_idx;

//aistr[ i ].yaw -= 400 * x;
    //if ( y ) setPlPitch( plPitch - 40 * y );

//SSsprintf( msg, "%08X %08X  %08X %08X ", ptrhackerstuff, i, aistr[ i ].yaw, aistr[ i ].x );
    //DBG_locate( 16, 0 );
    //DBG_print( msg );
  }
*/

if ( gamePaused ) return;
  if ( !level_info_ptr ) return;

if ( mlook )
  {
    if ( level_info_ptr->cyberspace == FALSE )
    {
      i = mobj_idx;
      j = control_idx[ mot[ i ].ai_idx ];
      aistr[ j ].yaw -= mlook_hsens * x;
      if ( y ) setPlPitch( plPitch - mlook_vsens * y );
    }
    else
    {
      csx += x;
      csy += y;

if ( x == 0 )
      {
        if ( last_timer >= xfrictionTime )
        {
          csx = 0;
            /*
          if ( csx > 0 )
          {
            csx -= timerDelta;
            if ( csx < 0 ) csx = 0;
          }
          else if ( csx < 0 )
          {
            csx += timerDelta;
            if ( csx > 0 ) csx = 0;
          }
          */
        }
      }
      else
      {
        xfrictionTime = last_timer + 0x20;
      }

if ( y == 0 )
      {
        if ( last_timer >= yfrictionTime )
        {/*
          if ( csy > 0 )
          {
            csy -= timerDelta;
            if ( csy < 0 ) csy = 0;
          }
          else if ( csy < 0 )
          {
            csy += timerDelta;
            if ( csy > 0 ) csy = 0;
          }*/
          csy = 0;
        }
      }
      else
      {
        yfrictionTime = last_timer + 0x20;
      }

if ( csx > MAX_CSCOORD ) csx = MAX_CSCOORD;
      else if ( csx < -MAX_CSCOORD ) csx = -MAX_CSCOORD;
      if ( csy > MAX_CSCOORD ) csy = MAX_CSCOORD;
      else if ( csy < -MAX_CSCOORD ) csy = -MAX_CSCOORD;

player_cmd.ymove = csy;
      if ( kbd_struc_addr->keys[ mouserollkey ] )
        player_cmd.xmove = csx;
      else
        player_cmd.yaw = csx;

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

As you can see, the source is really really messy. I don't know if anyone could make any use of this.

Your name:
This box must be left blank:

Trioptimum executive Edward ____ (Fill in the last name):
1 Guest is here.
You're messing with my Zen thing, man.
Contact SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2016, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies
FEEP
665b17a363d0f