665b63abb66d9

665b63abb700a
1 Guest is here.

Re: System Shock runs natively on Windows (no music)
665b63abb7757
Y I HAVE NO EDIT FUNCTION!!!

Well, I have a bit of a bug report... apparently, windows does not like this game in full screen...By that i mean, that my computer crashed... It came up as a black screen, and froze there, even ctrl-alt-del didn't work. I had to turn it(the computer) off, so, ya...
665b63abb7909
Guests cannot edit their posts unfortunately. You'll need to register to live the luxurious lifestyle of the upper 10%.
665b63abb7a53
I AM REGISTERED THOUGH!!! D:<

I have the

Welcome back, vyor.
[Show login]

In the corner >:(
665b63abb7b9d
No, you never registered on this forum. It merely remembers the last guest name you used and greets you with it.
If you click on [Show Login] a form will appear where you could enter your name and password to log in.
However you don't have a password yet. First you will have to click the REGISTER button in the main forum menu and go through the registration process, which includes an email activation. Then you will be registered and can login.

Or you can keep on posting as a guest. The differences are minor, mainly registered members don't have to answer verification questions and can edit their own posts.

665b63abb7c6fUrioxis

665b63abb7cbd
Malba, I'm working on getting this to build on Linux with openwatcom, nasm etc (same as the windows toolchain) and just wanted to check something. I assume you've built this before on linux (as evidenced by the fact that there's a linux.c and linux.asm to complement the windows equivalents) but I'm having to change a fair few things to get it working. Did you build it with GCC before or something?

665b63abb7d53Malba Tahan

665b63abb7d9f
No, I tried to add Linux support later, but gave up thinking people probably wouldn't be trying to run it under Linux.

665b63abb7e79Urioxis

665b63abb7ec7
Snazzy :). Well I did always like being the odd one out. Cool, well I'll change away and get it working. One other thing, some of the issues are due to preprocessor conditionals not including the correct header files. In fixing these, I'm assuming that no one is going to try and build this on an MS OS older than Win95 (ie, nothing that's not Win32). Is that a bad assumption?
665b63abb7fa9
would SS1 even work on something from 94 and under?
665b63abb80a6
Yes, but it had very high system requirements for the time.

665b63abb8348niculinux

665b63abb83a2
No, I tried to add Linux support later, but gave up thinking people probably wouldn't be trying to run it under Linux.

Hello!

Well, I registered today as soon as I read that sentence....hell I wanna play ss and ss2 on linux!

665b63abb853fvoodoo47

« Last Edit: 05. January 2013, 23:15:39 by voodoo47 »
665b63abb8719
Is this project still alive?  :/
I'm wondering this because if anybody has played the DOS version you would agree that it runs at a low 20 fps full screen.
But with this build it runs wonderfully on my computer (Vista). 
Two problems though... first the game still crashes *a lot* so save often and no music. Well, the game didn't have very many songs anyway so what I do is I run the songs in the background according to the level I am on. It's easier than it sounds. You can download the original midi songs here: https://www.systemshock.org/index.php?topic=2285

665b63abb87b9voodoo47

665b63abb8804
music is not implemented yet, and Malba Tahan is still active here, so you can help by sharing saves and describing where the crashes occurred.
665b63abb8a57
Well, I've only gotten to the reactor level so far and the game has crashed quite a bit. It has crashed at least once on each level. (Level 01-crash near elevator and cyborg conversion) (Level 02- crash near lift 2, near the isotope, and at the restoration center) (Level R- lots of crashes on this level mostly near the reactor core)

The crashes usually occur near the end of a level, when the auto map has been revealed and lots of dead enemies litter the ground.

The Red marks are the general crash locations:

L1
L2
LR
L3
L4
L5
L6
L7
L8
L9

Hopefully this helps.   :)  I'll keep an accurate account of where the game crashes from now on.
« Last Edit: 23. February 2013, 16:26:01 by Kolya »

665b63abb8ae8Malba Tahan

665b63abb8b42
Thank you for bug reporting!
« Last Edit: 24. February 2013, 05:13:16 by Malba Tahan, Reason: Making clear what I was saying thanks for »
665b63abb8c24
Sorry I made the images so big, but thanks for fixing it.
Acknowledged by: Kolya
665b63abb8d33
Malba Tahan, I really respect all of the work you have done on the System Shock Loader. All of the support you have added to the loader has allowed my brother to play system shock on his Windows 7 OP and so far he says it runs very well. Necessary thanks go to you and anybody else who may have also contributed to the project.  :thumb:
665b63abb8e12
I didn't play the game yet, but this entire project is really inspiring. Great job Mr. Malba
665b63abb8f03
hi, bought the disk version when it came out...
win7 64 works with music (just starting)
can't choose higher than 640x480, and it won't save preferences..
don't know the cause of this..
thanks anyway
665b63abb8ffc
All the best to you mate! \:D/
665b63abb918e
Possibly worth checking out: All of the "human corpse" sprites in the game have a full set of 8 rotations in OBJART.RES, though the game always displays the same one regardless of angle. (http://tcrf.net/System_Shock#Corpses)
This may have been done intentionally to avoid visible sprite swapping. It still might be useful, eg by randomly assigning one of the sprite angles to each model, to achieve more diversity.

665b63abb9429Malba Tahan

665b63abb94c7
All the best to you mate! \:D/
Thanks a lot, Kolya, I saw your post just today!!
Wow, and it's written in my native language! Thank you again!  :thumb:

665b63abb95c2lethal_guitar

665b63abb9621
My first post here, so apologies if I did something wrong..

I was wondering how active this still is, and if anybody has continued working on the Linux version. Is the source code download from the OP still up to date?

Malba Tahan, what is your opinion on putting the current source code up on some site like github, sourceforge or similar? I'm a programmer myself, and I'd be happy to help in implementing the Linux version. :)

Great work btw!!

665b63abb9793Briareos H

665b63abb97e1
The source code is in the first post.

I'd love to see this finished, it's no secret that SS1 is my 'best game ever' and will probably remain so for the years to come. For someone who replays the game so often or just for the sake of future-proofing, this project is a godsend so I hope you'll get the time to complete it, Malba Tahan.

If the music system is too complicated to interface in Windows, maybe you could add a regular media decoding library with hooks to level changes in the meantime? It's not the best solution, but it's a relatively easy one and, that way, people can try to create the best possible digital audio tracks from the MIDI originals for everyone to use.

Your name:
This box must be left blank:

System Shock 2 takes place on the star ship named ...:
1 Guest is here.
It was a shoddy operation in terms of communication.
Contact SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2016, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies
FEEP
665b63abbccf6