6622267e63e8f

6622267e64331
1 Guest is here.

Topic: Hacker Read 39161 times  

6622267e64d08
Tags: °hacking
Hacker is a small but fun hacking simulation.
After borrowing $4000 from a loan shark to buy equipment you start in debt. Your goal is to survive 30 days and make some money meanwhile. To accomplish that you hack into corporate servers and manipulate their payroll.
After hacking your way in you will look for information on how much you can steal without raising suspicion. Then make the according change to the payment database. Your friend Oskard will help you sometimes or ask for help via pager messages. You have several gadgets to aid you in hacking and of course you can buy more. Watch your finances though.

HOW TO HACK
Remember you can always type help or selhelp in the terminal for informations.
Now select a server that's vulnerable (due to technical difficulties) and click connect. It will ask for a username.
To crack the username, simply type prgmNAME in the terminal. This will start a simple dictionary attack which may take some time.
Once you have the name you will be asked for a password of course. Type prgmPASS which works similarly to the first program you used.
When you're in start reading the files you find. (type read 1, read 2, etc.) to find out how much you can divert into your own bank account without getting caught. If you think you know, look for a file ending with the extension .dtb which is usually the payroll.
You want to add an entry to this which sends the money to a forwarding bank account of yours. It's best to use the latest bank account, eg when you have 3 forward accounts choose the third as it will forward to the 2nd and so on, until you get the money. This minimises the chances of getting caught.
Say the payroll file was 'payroll.dtb', you have 3 forwarding accounts and you think you can get away with diverting $900.
Type: write payroll.dtb 900 3
That's it, so disconnect.

There are a few more things to explore in this game but you should be able to start now.
If you need more help: The help doesn't seem to work from within the game. Just go to your folder help and start it there.

SAVING
Note that saving takes away a precious day from your time. If you can, play the game through in one run. You can also leave it running in the background while doing something else which is what I usually do, as it doesn't take much resources.

Hacker was written in 1999-2000 by James Tyrrell for his company Unreal Visions which doesn't seem to exist anymore. Their site (http://uv.gamehappy.com) is dead anyway. The Hacker game was released as freeware.
[Hacker.7z expired]
« Last Edit: 27. September 2022, 20:26:34 by Kolya, Reason: small game update »
6622267e64e8f
My highscore.  :)

Edit: I just noticed that you can keep on playing after the game finished. I don't think new servers are added anymore but you could push your highscore considerably by continuing. Mine is a "real" highscore of course, taken right after the highscore message popped up the first time.
« Last Edit: 22. April 2007, 17:47:59 by Kolya »
6622267e650e0
Occasionally a shop screen comes up. If that happens, buy all you can.

6622267e65345A Living Savage

6622267e653be
"The program can't start because MSVBVM50.DLL is missing from your computer."

6622267e654d7
@Not You: I have no idea, it's been a while...

@A Living Savage: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/180071
6622267e655c6
Anybody played Introversion's Uplink ? Still the best hacker game to me.
6622267e656c6
I played it for quite a while, it was fun but got a bit repetitive too. I liked their game Darwinia a lot more. I finished that and later played around with the editor. I wish it would run on this netbook. :(
6622267e6584f
Yeah, you're right about the repetitive nature and it also came to my mind when I posted my comment :confused: The developers might say that they want to give the player some routine while the hacks get more and more complex, but oh well... It's still an innovative and charming little game with excellent music.

I also finished Darwinia, a great journey with really nice music again. There is a multiplayer version of it, "Multiwinia", but never touched it so far because I never really felt that interested. In terms of multiplayer, Introversion's Defcon is very good. If anybody likes the 80's movie Wargames, go try out the demo at least 8)

"How about a nice game of chess ?"
6622267e6594d
I have enlarged the skin files, so Hacker works with normal monitor font size now. Tested on Windows 7.
6622267e65b65
Hey all, I made this game when I was barely a teenager. There's so much that I cringe about when looking back on it, but THANK YOU for posting it here and keeping it alive. I've learned so much about game design/development since then. But I owe so much to the people who played this back in the day, they're definitely what led me to pursue this as a career!
Acknowledged by 2 members: Kolya, fox
6622267e65c79
I just noticed there was a bug with the skin not loading, resulting in a black user interface. This is fixed now.

Your name:
This box must be left blank:

Name the AI that appears in both System Shock games:
1 Guest is here.
easy to learn and difficult to master
Contact SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2016, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies
FEEP
6622267e662e8