6671dd80420a2

6671dd80424db
1 Guest is here.

Topic: SS2/NewDark Configurator Read 3661 times  

6671dd8042bc9
Currently I am working on a configuration tool for all the settings which are hidden inside config files.

The tool loads the configuration of the config files and displays them. After that you can do all the changes and it will remove, change or add the commands in the config files.

But I could need some of your help when it comes to describing and naming all the different options. I am not even sure what some of them do.
Is just editing the cam_ext.cfg enough or should other files be edited, too?
I can think of adding cam.cfg, but most of the commands are not commented.
Maybe even add dromed.cfg?

At first I intended to do this only for SS2, but I might expand this to be a general tool for all dark engine games (so adding thief 1 & 2).
As it seems they share all the options I could just put everything into this and be good. Or is there something very specific about the games which would justify a game specific tool?

Attached here is a small preview for you to play around. Please tell me any errors or suggestions.
The loading of default or recommended settings is not working right now. For the default I intend to use the config files you get after installing SS2Tool, the recommended will be delivered from the tool (so whatever comes out after this topic).

« Last Edit: 27. November 2013, 21:58:03 by Olfred »
6671dd8045e9f
Here is my current status on all the options and stuff. I will update this list when you pop up with anything that needs to be changed.
I guess creating less tabs would be good, so feel free to make suggestions.

Red text on the radio buttons is the value given the command.

File: cam_ext.cfg

Tab: Display

Command: use_d3d_display
Checkbox: Enable DirectX 9
Tooltip: enable Direct3D 9 based display system (instead of the legacy DirectX 6 one)
Recommended: SET

Command: single_display_mode
Headline: Single display mode:
Tooltip: use a single resolution for both menu system and in-game
Radio None: alternative buffering
Tooltip: uses blitting instead of buffer flipping in fullscreen, the same method as windowed mode uses (vsync may sporadically miss frame starts on some systems)
Radio 1: with double buffering
Tooltip:
Radio 2: with triple buffering
Tooltip:
Recommended: 1
Does this only affect the resolution used for the menu?

Command: ui_scale_mode
Checkbox 2: Scale menu system to fit screen
Tooltip: (When "Single display mode" used ) using 3D HW for best quality.\n When DirectX 9 is enabled, 3D HW is always used, this only sets the scale mode to fit screen
Recommended: 2
What about the "if you're having trouble like a black screen when starting the game try mode 0 or 1" thing? Maybe a listbox with "Enabled" and 0 and 1 as "try when problem"
Or add three radiobuttons?

Command: vsync_mode
Headline: Vertical syncronisation
Tooltip: NOTE: certain graphics driver settings may override synch behavior of the game
Radio 0: Disabled
Tooltip:
Radio 3: Normal (default)
Tooltip:
Radio 7: High rate (for 120Hz+ Monitor)
Tooltip: for displays with really high refresh rates the game might be running too fast, try following this setting to make the game update every second display refresh (if supported by the card/driver)
Recommended: 3

Command: framerate_cap
Textbox: Framerate limiter [1]
Tooltip: Software based framerate limiter (in "Single display mode")
Recommended: 100

Command: force_32bit
Checkbox: Use 32bit rendering for everything
Tooltip: also filters out 16-bit video modes \n this is automatically enabled with DirectX 9, which doesn't support 16-bit modes

Command: force_windowed
Checkbox: Use window mode
Tooltip:
Recommended: OFF

Command: d3d_disp_limit_gpu_frames
?????: I have no idea
Tooltip:
Recommended:

Command: SlowFrameUI
?????: I have no idea
Tooltip:
Recommended:

Command: d3d_disp_scaled_2d_overlay
Headline: HUD scaling:
Tooltip:enable scaling of in-game 2D overlay (HUD), makes the things like current item/weapon text, or SS2 HUD/panels, larger at resolutions of 1280x960 or higher. (Requires DirectX 9)
Radio OFF: Disabled
Tooltip:
Radio Textbox: Enable scaling by factor: [1]
Tooltip: pixel perfect scaling
Radio Textbox: Enable scaling by resolution: [1] [2]
Tooltip: aspect ratio corrected and scaled up to the current resolution, without enforcing pixel perfectness (ie. filtering makes it a bit less crisp)
Recommended: 64

Command: d3d_disp_force_filter_scale2d
Checkbox: Enable bilinear filtering for menu and 2D overlay graphics
Tooltip: even when scaled an even multiple (smoothness/fuzziness vs pixel perfectness)
Recommended:

Command: widescreen_lock_hfov
Checkbox: lock horizontal FOV to be the same in widescreen modes as in 4:3
Tooltip: (compensates vertical FOV instead)
Recommended:

Command: fov
Checkbox + Textbox: Field of View: [1]
Tooltip: FOV, specified for reference 4:3 aspect ratio, widescreen automatically adjusts this value (default is 90)

Command: user_mode1 - user_mode8
?????: I have no idea. Maybe just add user_mode1 and name it "Custom Resolution"? Or add some Advanced button which gets you a new menu where you can set all the stuff?
Tooltip:
Recommended:

Command:
Checkbox + Textbox: HUD Gamma: [1](float with limit 1.0)
Tooltip: enabling this option allows the UI (menus, map/objectives, readables) screens to have its own gamma setting \n useful if you get blinded everytime you open the map or read a book

Tab: Video

Command: scale_movie_to_ui
Checkbox: Scale Videos to UI Size
Tooltip: display movie within the UI area instead of maximizing (only meaningful when "Scale menu system to fit screen" is specified)

Command: crop_movies
Checkbox: Crop Movies for widescreen displays
Tooltip: does NOT work in combination with "Scale Videos to UI Size"
Recommended: ON
I don't know if I should implement the second option? Maybe make this command and "scale_movie_to_ui" into 3 radio buttons?

Command: movie_sw_scale_quality
Textbox with arrows: Filter Quality [1]
Tooltip: filter quality used during internal processing of movie, default is 4, if you have performance issues you can try lowering the quality
Recommended: 4
Maybe a Listbox which goes OFF (for 0 I guess?) LOW, NORMAL, HIGH, BEST?

Command: movie_crop_exclude
????: I have no idea. Probably just leave it out?
Tooltip:
Recommended:

Command: gamma_movie
Checkbox + Textbox: Movie Gamma: [1](float with limit 1.0)
Tooltip: gamma setting for movie playback

Command: no_unload_ffmpeg
?????: I have no idea. I guess this is to prevent the indeo video codec shit, right?
Tooltip:
Recommended:

Tab: Texture

Command: force_32bit_textures
Checkbox: Enable 32bit rendering
Tooltip: load/create all textures as 32-bit and enable other 32-bit rendering path for some other subsystems

Command: mipmap_mode
Headline: Mipmaps
Tooltip: NOTE: on less powerful machines this may cause temporary framerate drops as textures are cached in to gfx memory, try disabling mipmaps
Tooltip:
Radio 1: Low quality
Tooltip: may be faster but may or may not be at lower quality, depends on driver/HW
Radio 2: High quality
Tooltip:
Recommended:

Command: lm_mipmap_mode
Headline: Mipmap lightmaps
Tooltip: mipmap generation mode for lightmaps (only used when hardware mipmaps are enabled), disabled in an attempt to reduce occasional light bleeding artifacts (YMMV)
Tooltip:
Radio 1: Fastest
Tooltip:
Radio 2: Same as Mipmap
Tooltip:
Recommended:

Command: lm_init_texmem
????: no idea
Tooltip:
Recommended:

Command: lm_filter_margin
Tooltip:
Recommended:

Command: tex_filter_mode
Tooltip:
Recommended:

Command: tex_filter_trilinear
Checkbox: Enable trilinear texture filtering
Tooltip:
Recommended:

Command: mipmap_bias
Textbox? : no idea
Tooltip:
Recommended:

Command: disable_lightmap_aniso
Checkbox: Disable ansitropic filtering for lightmaps
Tooltip: (combined with other lightmap settings may help reduce light bleeding artifacts)
Recommended:
Maybe make this inverse. Name this "Use ansitropic filtering for lightmaps" and when set it will remove this command from the config.
It feels kinda weird to check for disabling.

Command: tex_edge_padding
Checkbox + Textbox???: enable edge padding of alpha textures [1](???)
Tooltip: enable edge padding of alpha textures (that are no larger than 256) to get rid of purple outlines (this will add some extra processing while loading texture)
Recommended:
Not sure about how to set it. There is no explanation as what the number does

Command: tex_max_edge_padding
Checkbox + Textbox: Edge padding size: [1]
Tooltip: edge padding size can be adjusted to increase quality of lower mipmaps (larger pad size) or to reduce the amount of processing during load (smaller pad size)

Tab: Render

Command: alpha_test_as_opaque
Checkbox: No Idea how to name it
Tooltip: render objects with 1-bit alpha (/chroma key) as opaque objects (alpha test support must not be disabled)

Command: square_parts_as_disks
Checkbox: render square particles as disks
Tooltip:

Command: pixel_parts_as_disks
Checkbox: render pixel particles as (small) disks
Tooltip:

Command: z_far
Textbox: Max view distance: [1]
Tooltip: increased max view distance (default is 256) so z-buffering works correctly on missions with large areas
Recommended: 512

Command: wr_render_zcomp
Checkbox: enable z-compare during level geometry rendering
Tooltip: this allows somewhat more optimal level geometry rendering (missions that weren't built with new sky support in mind, may have visual glitches in locations that have "impossible geometry" when this option is enabled)
Recommended:
I think this one should be renamed to something more understandable, but I don't even get what it does.

Tab: DirectX 9

Headline: These options are only working with enabled DirectX 9

Command: d3d_disp_no_rgb10_buf
Checkbox: enhanced 32-bit precision display mode
Tooltip: if the driver supports it, but there may be instances (like with integrated intel GPUs) where the driver does support it but it may not work correctly (such as gamma not working), this option will disable the use of enhanced precision
Recommended:

Command: multisampletype
Checkbox: Enable multisampling (anti-aliasing) level
Tooltip: IMPORTANT: some integrated graphics HW may not work correctly with multisampling and you will be left with a black screen, if that happens disable this option again
Recommended:
This one does have a number (8) to be set, but what does it do? Are other options possible?

Command: d3d_disp_enable_hdr
Headline: enable floating point render:
Tooltip: for improved rendering and postprocessing quality, at the expense of video memory and performance
Tooltip:
Radio SET: 16 bit
Tooltip:
Radio 32: 32 bit
Tooltip: if you don't know what else to do with your memory and GPU time \n NOTE: some driver version(s) may have a bug where running 32-bit FP also requires multisampling to be enabled or things can break (like a black screen)
Recommended:

Command: d3d_disp_sw_cc
Checkbox: Enable software based gamma and color processing
Tooltip: improves quality at the expense of performance, and also enables in-game gamma to be applied in windowed mode
Recommended:

Command: d3d_disp_sw_cc_sat
Checkbox + Textbox: Enable saturation setting [1](float limit 1)
Tooltip: optional saturation setting when "software based gamma and color processing" is enabled, 0 is black and white, 1 is normal color (does not affect menu screens)
Recommended:

Command: d3d_disp_sw_cc_rgbfilter
Checkbox + Textbox: Enable color filter: Red: [1] Green: [2] Blue: [3]
Tooltip: optional color filter when "software based gamma and color processing", RGB values are between 0 and 1, default is "1 1 1" (white) (does not affect menu screens)
Recommended:

Command: postprocess
Checkbox: Enable postprocessing (bloom)
Tooltip:
Recommended: SET 1

Command: bloomscale
Textbox: bloom intensity factor: [1]
Tooltip:
Recommended:

Command: bloom_range
Textbox: bloom/"glow" radius [1]
Tooltip: defined as percentage of the screen's diagonal, default is 2 (the larger values require more GPU processing)
Recommended:

Command: bloom_saturation
Textbox: Bloom saturation []
Tooltip: 0 completely desaturated, 1 is fully colored, default is 0.7
Recommended:

Command: bloom_threshold
Checkbox: Bloom Threshold: [1]
Tooltip: min value required (for R, G and B) in order for a pixel to be included in bloom processing, default is 0.6 (with a low value a lot of surfaces will glow, with a high value only the really bright surfaces will glow) for SS2 you might want to consider increasing this slightly, as the game is generally brighter
Recommended:

Command: d3d_disp_enable_distortionfx
Checkbox: Enable screen distortion effects
Tooltip: like chipped glass or heat distortion from fire arrows
Recommended:

Command: d3d_disp_enable_atoc
Checkbox: Enable alpha-to-coverage functionality
Tooltip: for smoother edges and less aliasing on alpha tested surfaces, if the nVidia/AMD/ATI graphics card supports it (requires multisampling to be enabled)
Tooltip:
Radio 1: Enabled
Tooltip:
Radio 2: for Nvidia Cards with SSAA
Tooltip: for nVidia cards that support SSAA this can be enabled instead (slightly better quality at the expense of performance)
Recommended:

Command: default_alphatest_ref
Checkbox:
Tooltip: if "alpha-to-coverage functionality" is enabled and the graphics card supports it you may also want to enable this to make the edges even smoother (WARNING: if "alpha-to-coverage functionality" isn't supported or "edge padding of alpha textures" isn't enabled, enabling this will make things look worse)
Recommended:
Set with 1

Command: d3d_disp_2d_overlay_alpha
Textbox: alpha for 2D overlay [1](float limit 1)
Tooltip: alpha for 2D overlay (HUD text, bitmaps), default is 1 (opaque)
Recommended: whatever user prefers

Tab: Update Timings

Command: use_hi_res_timer
Checkbox: use high resolution timers
Tooltip:  (preferable but disabled by default for best compatibility, as it may not work correctly on older OS versions, such as some XP systems where hi-res timer implementation uses RDTSC, which can result in movement speeds going crazy and more)
Recommended: leave at default

Command: phys_freq
Checkbox + Textbox: lock physics updates to a fixed frequency [1]
Tooltip: this ensures that player movement speed is constant and framerate independent. not necessary if vsync is enabled, however for high refresh rates player movement would still be faster than originally intended, disable this in that case (Vertical Sync method is preferable)
Recommended: required for physics to work properly if the user disables vertical sync

Command:
Textbox: framerate cap for menu system [1]ms
Tooltip: (specified as minimum frame time in ms), reduces GPU and CPU load in menus

Command: min_frame_time
Checkbox: minimum frame time [1]ms
Tooltip: set minimum frame time value to 1ms to avoid speedups at high framerates, this does NOT cap the framerate it only sets the lower frame time limit so that if a frame is shorter than this, the engine will pretend that it was this long

Command: SlowFrame
???? : I don't really get this one
Tooltip:
Recommended: I'd say don't touch this one

Tab: Sound

Command: submerged_sound_occlusion
?????: I don't know
Tooltip:
Recommended:

Command: force_underwater_reverb
Checkbox: Force the use of reverb/EAX when under water
Tooltip: force the use of UnderWater reverb/EAX environment when the player is under water
Recommended:

Command: snd_oal_device
?????:
Tooltip:
Recommended:
I have no idea how to implement this, maybe read the log file and create a list of what is found there? But what needs to be read? commented out is the the default, "Generic Software" is more compatible/when user has issues

Tab: Misc

Command: enhanced_precip_trace
Checkbox:
Tooltip: enable more elaborate tracing for rain/snow impacts so it also hits more things than just terrain (the calculations are a bit more expensive, if you're running on a slow machine and experience an unusual slowdown with rain/snow you could try to disable this and see if it helps)

Command: enhanced_corona_trace
Checkbox:
Tooltip: enable more elaborate visibility tracing for coronas so that objects/characters also obstruct line of sight (the calculations are a bit more expensive, if you're running on a slow machine and experience an unusual slowdown with coronas you could try to disable this and see if it helps)

Command: enhanced_aifootstep_trace
Checkbox:
Tooltip: enable more elaborate tracing for AI footstep sounds so it hits objects and not just terrain (the calculations are a bit more expensive, if you're running on a slow machine and experience performance problems you could try to disable this and see if it helps)

Command: enhanced_aidetect_trace
Checkbox:
Tooltip: enable more elaborate tracing for AI body and suspicious obj detection so it hits objects and not just terrain, this will for example prevent AIs from seeing bodies through closed doors (the calculations are a bit more expensive, if you're running on a slow machine and experience performance problems, in missions with a larger amount of bodies, you could try to disable this and see if it helps)

Command: screenshot_format
Listbox: Screenshot Format [png, bmp, pcx]
Tooltip: PNG shots will take longer due to the compression process
Recommended: user preference

Command: screenshot_timestamp
Checkbox: Use Timestamp for screenshot filename
Tooltip: use a date/time based numeric suffix instead, for screenshot filenames

Command: skip_starting_checks
Checkbox: skip CD check
Tooltip:
Recommended:
Who would even deactivate this?
I was thinking of not implementing this, but maybe let it in just in case someone screws up and gets CD checks *shrugs*

Command: ddf_tex_override
Checkbox:
Tooltip:
Recommended:
There is no description in the cam_ext.cfg
backward compatibility with ddfix overrides, should be left at default

Command: ext_kb_country_check
Checkbox: Enable extended keyboard language detection
Tooltip: enable extended keyboard language detection to allow the game to more accurately detect supported layouts, it also adds support for detection of UK and French Canadian keyboards. NOTE: if the game previously failed to detect the layout, so it used the default English-US, the key bindings may have to be redone
Recommended: should be left at default unless user has issues

Tab: Game specific

Command: new_mantle
Checkbox: enable new mantling code
Tooltip:
Recommended: smoother mantling, may make some jumping puzzles easier. I would say on is recommended

Command: render_weapon_particles
Checkbox: render particle effects attached to weapons
Tooltip: (i.e. fire arrows before being fired)
Recommended: should be left at default

Command: legacy_force_match_unrefs
Checkbox:
Tooltip:
Recommended:
I don't know, in the config this is disabled for some reason stated I don't really understand
this is a fix for the fire arrow sparks, should be left at default

Command: dark_zcomp_arm
Checkbox:
Tooltip: enable z-buffer use when rendering the player arm/weapon, to get rid of the sword and blackjack being drawn on top of the hand
Recommended: should be left at default

Command: scaled_inv_bitmaps
Checkbox:
Tooltip: scale bitmap based inventory icons/objects at higher screen resolutions (like body carry icon)

Command: dark_map_remember_last
Checkbox:
Tooltip: open last viewed map page if no automap location is found for current player location
Recommended:

Command: dark_map_decal_scheme
Checkbox:
Tooltip:
Recommended:

Command: dark_map_lalign_notes
Checkbox: left align map notes
Tooltip:
Recommended:

Command: shock_single_bind_set
Checkbox: use a single bind file in shock
Tooltip: (user2.bnd is ignored)
Recommended: not a configurable, leave out

Command: shock_quicksave_slot
Listbox: Quicksave Slot: [Default, 1-14]
Tooltip: Specify 0-14 to use a regular save slot, or "Default" for the default behaviour of using the default slot
Recommended: should not be user configurable

Command: shock_autosave_slot
Listbox: Autosave Slot: [Default, 1-14]
Tooltip: Specify 0-14 to use a regular save slot, or "Default" for the default behaviour of using the default slot
Recommended: should not be user configurable

Command: bob_factor
Checkbox + Textbox: Head Bob: [1](float with limit 1)
Tooltip: head bob scale factor (a value between 0 and 1), useful if the head bobbing is causing motion sickness

Command: shock_gun_bob_factor
Checkbox + Textbox: Weapon bob: [1](float with limit 1)
Tooltip: weapon bob scale factor in shock (a value between 0 and 1), also useful against motion sickness

Command: mouse1_bind_game2
Checkbox:
Tooltip:
Recommended:
Just leave it out?
not a configurable, leave out

Command: mouse2_bind_game2
Checkbox:
Tooltip:
Recommended:
Just leave it out?
not a configurable, leave out

« Last Edit: 28. November 2013, 11:15:20 by Olfred »

6671dd8046166voodoo47

6671dd80461b7
crashes on me (xpsp3). I will crunch through the text in a moment and explain what I can.

-single_display_mode - there are three modes available;
single_display_mode 2
single_display_mode 3
single_display_mode

2 is normal, 3 uses triple buffering, no value alternative mode/blitting. shortly, keep at 2 and don't touch.

-ui_scale_mode 2
2 is the normal setting, if the menu is not displayed properly, try 1 or 0. should not be touched unless user has issues.

-vsync_mode
pretty much ok, with a note - don't bloody touch this unless you know exactly what you are doing.

-d3d_disp_limit_gpu_frames
value "1" means "render as fast/as much as possible". might increase fps, but also introduce lag. value "1 1" is the opposite - no lag, but less frames. "1 1" is the recommended setting.

-d3d_disp_scaled_2d_overlay
off - no scaling. "64" choose the best pixel perfect scaling automatically. requires a monitor at least 960 pixels high. "xxx yyy" set the scale resolution manually.

-user defined display modes
this is required when running eyefinity systems.

more later.

[python.JPG expired]
« Last Edit: 27. November 2013, 20:27:25 by voodoo47 »
6671dd80462e2
Seems one library hasn't been included. Added it now, better?
If it doesn't work now try moving the "tix" folder into the "tk" folder.

I really need some virtual machine to test stuff like this.

EDIT:
There is a version up now which should work. If it doesn't please report
« Last Edit: 27. November 2013, 21:58:49 by Olfred »

6671dd804639fvoodoo47

6671dd80463e9
yeah, this one works. also, there are virtually no game specific settings in cam_ext.cfg, so there is no reason why this shouldn't be an unified configurator.

I'll probably just edit your post and add comments (gold colour maybe).
6671dd8046792
I'll probably just edit your post and add comments (gold colour maybe).
I'm fine with that

So I will make this into a unified one. I think if there really is some game specific stuff I could go on and check what game it is.

If someone feels like making an icon or does have suggestion for one, I'm open to it.

6671dd804685cvoodoo47

6671dd80468ba
I think there should be three tabs;

graphics and gameplay enhancements - all the (safe) eyecandy stuff like FSAA, HDR etc would be here
compatibility fixes - less safe stuff that can be used to fix problems
engine tweaks - scary stuff that can blow your pc up when used improperly

6671dd8046b35bluemess

6671dd8046b82
d3d_disp_limit_gpu_frames X Y

Limits how many frames are processed in advance:
X - in menu screen
Y - in game

I've played a lot with this one a while back, these are my conclusions:

;d3d_disp_limit_gpu_frames X Y (commented out, equivalent to d3d_disp_limit_gpu_frames 0 0)
Don't limit frames ahead processing. Mouse lag in menu screen. Horrible input lag and stuttering in game, but maximum framerate. IMO never should be used.

d3d_disp_limit_gpu_frames 1 (equivalent to d3d_disp_limit_gpu_frames 1 0)
No mouse lag in menu screen. Still horrible lag in game, but maximum framerate. IMO never should be used.

d3d_disp_limit_gpu_frames 1 1
No input lag/stuttering in menu screen and in game. On low end/old graphics cards will decrease framerate drastically, especially with some postprocess effects on and hi-res/hi-poly mods. IMO the best option for decent GPUs where no frame drops will be introduced anyway.

d3d_disp_limit_gpu_frames 1 2
No lag in menu screen. One frame is processed in advance in game, some small input lag might be noticeable. No drastic framerate drops. IMO optimal for low end GPUs, where frame drops occurs with the setting above.

I would give a choice between these two options:
d3d_disp_limit_gpu_frames 1 1 - set by default
d3d_disp_limit_gpu_frames 1 2 - much better framerate at a cost of a little input lag.
1 Guest is here.
Perhaps they took a wrong turning and never found their way out of those caves.
Contact SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2016, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies
FEEP
6671dd8049f8d