6662a02d157b7

6662a02d15e06
1 Guest is here.

Topic: a CRAZY idea about an SS2 port
Page: « 1 [2]
Read 2435 times  

6662a02d164cdJackTheHacker

6662a02d16552
Your ideas are horrible, and you should feel horrible for having them.

Whoa, man, that escalated quickly. I just had a small idea and I wanted to share it- All due respect to you and your opinions, I don't see the purpose of insulting someone just because of that.

6662a02d16804xdiesp_

6662a02d16859
^Since you mentioned Pokemon.

I would like SS2 on the Vita but I would hate it as well. Especially if it forced you to use touch screen functionality, which is something it wouldn't need to do.

I'm not talking about nintendo handhelds: people use them for the worst of games, they can only do better at loading SS2 on one. And if it isn't a console, maybe some tablet. But would the game be so penalized, bastardized if it was using the touchpad? Lol, when SS2 came out it was still commonplace to play pc games withoug the mouse or with a (flight simulator type) joystick.

6662a02d16b43Join Usss

6662a02d16b97
I'm not talking about nintendo handhelds: people use them for the worst of games,

There are some great handheld games out there.

they can only do better at loading SS2 on one.

The Vita is the only one that could just about handle it, control-wise.

And if it isn't a console, maybe some tablet. But would the game be so penalized, bastardized if it was using the touchpad?

Why is this even a question or a thought. So from Vita which could in theory handle it, to a....tablet.

Lol, when SS2 came out it was still commonplace to play pc games withoug the mouse or with a (flight simulator type) joystick.

Yes, simplistic games in terms of player control in real time. The few that tried to give more agency to the player more were mostly ignored, System Shock for example.
6662a02d1715d
The Vita is the only one that could just about handle it, control-wise.
What is so special about the Vita that makes it the only possible device for it?

Apart from that. I don't get it why people always want to cram things into stuff where it doesn't belong. Didn't they pay attention in their childhood years?
There is just stuff which just doesn't work in a satisfactory way when ported over to something else.
If you go on and right at the beginning start designing your game for several platforms you can make a somewhat good result, but it will come with drawbacks for each platform.
When porting a game which was only developed for one specific platform gets ported over to a different one you simply have to change alot to make it fit or to get the benefit of the other platform out of it. This increases with the complexity of the game. Everything else will just leave you with a discomforting feeling and destroys the game.

I'm not saying that it wouldn't be possible to port SS2 to a touch device. But the results wouldn't be what you might expect.
If you want it to be close to the PC version, you will end up with a horrible game experience. If you create an enjoyable game you will stray far from the PC version and end up with a very different game.

6662a02d17576Join usss

6662a02d175d4
What is so special about the Vita that makes it the only possible device for it?

Apart from that. I don't get it why people always want to cram things into stuff where it doesn't belong. Didn't they pay attention in their childhood years?
There is just stuff which just doesn't work in a satisfactory way when ported over to something else.
If you go on and right at the beginning start designing your game for several platforms you can make a somewhat good result, but it will come with drawbacks for each platform.
When porting a game which was only developed for one specific platform gets ported over to a different one you simply have to change alot to make it fit or to get the benefit of the other platform out of it. This increases with the complexity of the game. Everything else will just leave you with a discomforting feeling and destroys the game.

I'm not saying that it wouldn't be possible to port SS2 to a touch device. But the results wouldn't be what you might expect.
If you want it to be close to the PC version, you will end up with a horrible game experience. If you create an enjoyable game you will stray far from the PC version and end up with a very different game.

Vita has two sticks- a hell of a lot better than a d-pad or a touch screen in terms of control, and in the case of movement, better than WASD. And no, a port to, say, the PS4, nothing has to be lost, with the right designers things can even be gained.

6662a02d176aeJoin usss

6662a02d17718
However, we have System Shock 2 in all it's glory and additionally with the choice of many great mods, I'd just prefer a System Shock 3, but I cannot think of a professional development team suitable for the job. Well, I can, but I'd be weary of the intentional dumbing down.
6662a02d17deb
Vita has two sticks- a hell of a lot better than a d-pad or a touch screen in terms of control, and in the case of movement, better than WASD.
I don't see the need of two d-pads to control a FPS game.

And no, a port to, say, the PS4, nothing has to be lost, with the right designers things can even be gained.
No

6662a02d18108Join Usss

6662a02d1816f
I don't see the need of two d-pads to control a FPS game.

Then you clearly do not have the insight. Additionally they are called analog sticks for what it's worth.
Have you tried an FPS on a tablet? They objectively suck. Two D-pads, let alone one? It works but doing so as an informed choice is a poor one. Analog sticks are the next best thing from a mouse and actually have benefits f their own.

No

Nice and constructive, old man :P
6662a02d18603
Then you clearly do not have the insight. [...]
Have you tried an FPS on a tablet? They objectively suck.
I never said that FPS on tablets are good. I just said that you don't need two d-pads for FPS.
IMHO some of the N64 games had one of the best FPS controls I've ever seen on a console. One d-pad is sufficent enough.
I'm not saying it is bad to have two, there is simply no need for two.

Nice and constructive, old man :P
I'm not going to repeat something I already said.

6662a02d188f2Join Usss

6662a02d18940
I never said that FPS on tablets are good. I just said that you don't need two d-pads for FPS.

No, but you need at least one stick, which the N64 did have but a second stick is preferred for superior movement, one of pad's three benefits.

But you need to have enough buttons too, which a handheld doesn't really have (even the Vita could do with more). A PS4/360 pad has enough buttons. Still would be do-able on Vita though, but not ideal.

"No"

If I thought that System shock 2 vanilla would be butchered by a port to the PS4 I would be absolutely against it as I love the game and strongly hate the dumbing down trends of late.

It can be done no problem, but that doesn't mean it should. I'm just tired of this misconception. Would you like a console pad let's play? :p There are few gamers more hardcore than me. I do not enjoy using a console pad for System Shock 2 because I think I am "hardcore", I enjoy it because I enjoy it's benefits and that one major downside I mentioned doesn't actually effect my primary playstyle.

6662a02d189d3Join Usss

6662a02d18a28
....and can be fixed in ~3 hours by a competent coder no harm done.

6662a02d18af2Joshsmog

6662a02d18b3b
It would work fine, sure there might be some slight frustration getting used to it but it would work. Even on a tablet. I've played FPS on tablets and they are easy to control after a couple minutes of getting used to it. I don't see why everyone is getting up in arms about it. It would work fine but will probably never happen, especially if people are against it for virtually no reason. No one is forcing you to play it...

6662a02d18d93Join Usss

6662a02d18deb
It would work fine, sure there might be some slight frustration getting used to it but it would work. Even on a tablet. I've played FPS on tablets and they are easy to control after a couple minutes of getting used to it. I don't see why everyone is getting up in arms about it. It would work fine but will probably never happen, especially if people are against it for virtually no reason. No one is forcing you to play it...

Tablet is where I lack some insight, perhaps you are right and it's easy to control, but could that be because the games lack gameplay depth and have somewhat automated actions?
All the controls are touchscreen implemented, right? SS2 on tablet no simplifying...there would be icons all over the touch screen, you wouldn't be able to see where you are going :p

6662a02d18e93Join Usss

6662a02d18edd
But yes, it would be do-able. but those icons on the screen, lol. My short experience on a tablet wasn't very fun despite usually being tolerant of bad controls. 
1 Guest is here.
"We have cheap plastic, and YOU have an obsession!"
Contact SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2016, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies
FEEP
6662a02d1c4b5