666d020d5c8a3

666d020d5ce20
1 Guest is here.

Topic: 2 textures remade from original SS1 files Read 2565 times  

666d020d5d45aSeba313

666d020d5d4dc
I was testing new texture tool. What do you think? This is not a remake, just a quick, simple test.
Image: http://s2.postimg.org/c4bs4gnll/citadel.jpg
666d020d5d6b7
The relief is too strong for tiles. It could work if it looked very old and dirty, but it shines.
666d020d5dbd2
Well you can remake two textures without planning for a remake of all the textures.

666d020d5dc80xdiesp_

666d020d5dcf4
I could never understand why the interior of Citadel Station is that absurd mismatch of fluo colours and branching corridors. Even the first Doom had more realistic geometry.

666d020d5df10Seba313

666d020d5df64
This is not a remake, i mean this is not a part of some big project.
Well you can remake two textures without planning for a remake of all the textures.
Exactly :)
666d020d5e1a0
I could never understand why the interior of Citadel Station is that absurd mismatch of fluo colours and branching corridors. Even the first Doom had more realistic geometry.
The whole game is built to be overwhelming, confusing and intimidating. And to show off they could do slopes.
666d020d5e49c
The whole game is built to be overwhelming, confusing and intimidating.

We need more games built with this intent :)

666d020d5e53fJudicator

666d020d5e59b
As an experiment looks nice.
Are you going to do something with it?
666d020d5e913
We need more games built with this intent :)
Any modern game with the accessibility level of System Shock would probably tank commercially.

Icemann said something interesting here about SS1's cyberspace: Think of it as a flight sim.
I never thought about it that way but the next game LG released after System Shock was indeed a flight simulation (Flight Unlimited, 1995) and then many more. And I think that may indeed be the paradigm why SS1's interface is as complicated as it is:
Because they built a cockpit into an FPS game.

Of course console-like interfaces were pretty common in adventures of the period and Ultima Underworld II was a direct predecessor. But those consoles were very different. You managed your party there, fed them, sent them to sleep, clicked on a compass to move around, etc. Whereas SS1's interface with its multi-functional monitors, nondescript buttons, radar display, sine waves and your position in space shares a lot more with an aeroplane.

666d020d5ea01xdiesp_

666d020d5ea50
The controls are partly to blame: it's both having a cockpit in your face, and moving your feet with a helm. Note that at the time, joystiqs were still a primary means of playing pc games. And one can't not mention Descent at this point, which was exactly the missing link between FPS and Flight Simulator, and damn was it hard to control with just keyboard (but I still did it).

666d020d5ed80Seba313

666d020d5ede5
As an experiment looks nice.
Thank you
Are you going to do something with it?
No, it's only a test. I got an idea to make a set of Unity3D assets based on look and feel of SS1. Not exactly the same textures - similar colors and tile geometry.
666d020d5f0fa
The whole game is built to be overwhelming, confusing and intimidating. And to show off they could do slopes.
The most illogical parts are almost always associated with puzzles. Someone really loved the gravity system, not just in cyberspace but with all the repulsor lifts. If you exclude the gravity puzzles the lay out is (usually, from memory Security makes very little sense) fairly sensible, most levels have some sort of central cruciform corridor with an external ring which is how you'd design in reality. Probably more sensible overall than SS2 where you have medical facilities accessible only from ladders, big storage boxes with no sensible way to transport them, magical elevators and, of course, the piece de resistance, the Rickenbacker.

666d020d5f32dZylonBane

666d020d5f386
I could never understand why the interior of Citadel Station is that absurd mismatch of fluo colours and branching corridors.
Uhh, okay, what colors do you think branching corridors are supposed be?

666d020d5f66exdiesp_

666d020d5f6c8
Uhh, okay, what colors do you think branching corridors are supposed be?

Vasquez: ...madre de dios, the chica was right.
Gorman: sarge, what's going on? your signal's breaking up!
Apone: this is Apone, lieutenant... I'm afraid the signal is all right...
Hicks: are you receiving this? the interior walls appear built around a pink and blue tartan motif; as for the "ceiling", for lack of a better word, they seem to have painted it a brown aztec pattern.
Hudson: what do you mean, "they" painted it? they are f*****g animals! now what are we supposed to do?!
666d020d5f7ca
Who chose these colours? I don't like them one bit!

666d020d5fd41Drone-Dragon

666d020d5fd97

*shudders* When you said that I looked behind my back just in case. I think I hated those droids worse than hybrids. I will NEVER forgive Looking Glass for the Engineering storage areas. :stroke:

Well, this may sound odd, but I've always found the interior of military naval vessels to be confusing, so it isn't so strange to me. To be honest, the only 2 levels I can think of as strangely designed in SS1 were probably 1st level Med and err, what number was it...8th? level Security. The Medical deck had oddly proportioned heights, when most of it could have just been single floor. Security was...all kinds of wrong. I mean, it seemed like HALF THE FREAKIN' STATION was the Security level...so big.

666d020d6004eZylonBane

666d020d600a1
Security was...all kinds of wrong. I mean, it seemed like HALF THE FREAKIN' STATION was the Security level...so big.
If you look at the external view of Citadel Station, I believe the Security level is supposed to be the column between the bridge and the rest of the station.

666d020d60181xdiesp_

666d020d601cd
It's actually an intended effect, to make you not sure of what is reality and what cyberspace (which, obviously, has to be confusing).

<-- liessss

666d020d6061dDrone-Dragon

666d020d6066e
If you look at the external view of Citadel Station, I believe the Security level is supposed to be the column between the bridge and the rest of the station.

I know, but on a level per level basis, security felt bigger than all the other floors that made up that large bulk regardless. Maybe it is just a spatial thing.

It's actually an intended effect, to make you not sure of what is reality and what cyberspace (which, obviously, has to be confusing).

<-- liessss

It is ALL cyberspace...once she got back to the Von Braun in her new physical body at the end of SS2, SHODAN re-enacted her plan to use the hyper-drive engine to turn space into cyberspace...the games themselves are groundhog day hell for the hacker and the soldier as punishment for defying her. :cyborg:

;)

666d020d60932ZylonBane

666d020d60983
I know, but on a level per level basis, security felt bigger than all the other floors that made up that large bulk regardless. Maybe it is just a spatial thing.
Security is actually one of the smaller levels. It's just a column with lots of little side rooms along its length. It feels big because you can see all the way from one end to the other.

666d020d60c80xdiesp_

666d020d60cd2
It is ALL cyberspace...once she got back to the Von Braun in her new physical body at the end of SS2, SHODAN re-enacted her plan to use the hyper-drive engine to turn space into cyberspace...the games themselves are groundhog day hell for the hacker and the soldier as punishment for defying her. :cyborg:

;)

Dude! Don't spoil my mod's storyline. Lols.

666d020d60e85Joshsmog

666d020d60eda
This room is green. I like the blue room.
1 Guest is here.
This is horrible and all but koreans chicks are really hot.
Contact SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2016, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies
FEEP
666d020d648bd