6635168bc9017

6635168bc94d8
1 Guest is here.

Topic: SS2 Mute Security Camera Bleeps Read 40031 times  

6635168bc9b3amiracle.flame

6635168bc9ba6
Tags: °sound °SS2

If you too consider camera bleeps pathetic like shouting "Shoot me! Quickly shoot me!" this is what you want. (like if industrial cameras have their own reproductors anyway..bah)

It's the easiest and fully compatibile way to mute all these bleeps.
The ambient buzzing of camera movement mechanics is still there as well as alarm set-off sound.
« Last Edit: 05. July 2014, 21:05:21 by Kolya »
6635168bc9d89
Well done! The odd warnings of the security cameras before they actually sound an alarm really were an obviously unrealistic trait in the game.

6635168bc9ec2ZylonBane

6635168bc9f15
Unrealistic? Yes. Essential? Also yes.

Those chirping noises are often the only way to know if a camera is around. There's a place in Rec deck where you can be spotted by a camera that's on the other side of a closed door! Without the noises, players would end up triggering security alerts without knowing why. And that would suck.

6635168bca00cmiracle.flame

6635168bca05d
Triggering the alarm doesn't mean game over.
Hell original cameras are so lame that it's possible to complete the whole game without even triggering the alarm once. That's oh so low. Why do you think the cameras are there? Cheap targets for slow players? Well those can pretty ignore this  mod.
Triggering the alarm is real and FUN...if you can't spot it before it spots you. oh when the alarms up everyone knows it's because of camera.
6635168bca18d
I see this as an increased difficulty mod for advanced players. Once you played through the game a few times you know most of their locations and they just aren't the threat they used to be anymore. This mod can help to put that fear back in. Also miracle.freak left the camera alarm sound in. So you still know when you were spotted. Only after it happened.
It's certainly not for first timers.

BTW that door on Rec deck needs fixing.

6635168bca228miracle.flame

6635168bca275
if someone could specificaly explain which door it is I could try to fix it
6635168bca384
I think it's the door that has steam coming through the sides. It's supposed to be "broken", that is it never opens. Behind it is a room where a bot breaks through the wall when you enter (through another door).
A fix would probably best be applied to a MIS file from ADaoB.

6635168bca4aemiracle.flame

6635168bca503
Found it. Fixed it.
Didn't ever notice that broken doors didn't block vision nor sound.

rec2.mis fixes only this one particular door.
shock2.gam fixes just about any type of broken door on any map.

It's compatible with U&RMM but should be absolutely fine without any side effects on ADaoB too.

[took the files down because there was suspiciously high count of downloads like if people thought it's a good idea to install it as another mod... Nevermind those fixes are long time already part of up to date ADaoB or UARMM versions]
« Last Edit: 21. November 2009, 18:21:53 by miracle.freak »

6635168bca85cNameless Voice

6635168bca8b4
I see this as an increased difficulty mod for advanced players. Once you played through the game a few times you know most of their locations and they just aren't the threat they used to be anymore. This mod can help to put that fear back in.

But then, why not just use SecMod (of which silent cameras was among the first features added), instead?
6635168bcabd2
Because I haven't played SecMod. I'm waiting for the second version since...I've forgotten. But it's been some time. ;)
Apart from this SecMod makes a lot more changes. I admit I didn't know that this was one of them but I still can see a benefit in having this one feature available in a separate mod.
Some people want everything in one mod, I actually prefer being able to cherry-pick.

Found it. Fixed it.
It's compatible with U&RMM but should be absolutely fine without any side effects on ADaoB too.
Cool, that was fast. :)
The rec2.mis was from the latest ADaoB if I understand this correctly? I'm asking because then we could incorporate it with ADaoB. As much as I'd love to have the visibility of all broken doors fixed in one go I wouldn't want to put in the shock2.gam since even if it has no ill effects on ADaoB it certainly includes more changes than just the doors.

6635168bcaefamiracle.flame

6635168bcaf5c
I've used files from U&RMM v1 which are based on ADaoB 0.2.6.

To be exact...

rec2.mis map has contrary to ADaoB additional QBfilters and switched traps that could be activated only when some of Ultimate Spawn script is present...which is absolutely harmless and should have no impact on game without Ultimate Spawn.

shock2.gam has contrary to ADaoB additional archetypes in object hierarchy... that is new med/sci doors and signs.. but they are not used in original game so they just sit there in the database and do nothing... harmless likewise with no impact on what players see.

UPDATE:
But then, why not just use SecMod (of which silent cameras was among the first features added), instead?

Because you can use this one with ANY mods you wish to have without fearing compatibility issues.
6635168bcb0ee
Would you guys recommend or not recommend this mod for someone who is playing the game for the first time (I'm planning on pushing it to a friend)? When I think back the security system was definently too easy to circumvent, and I have also looked at the flatliner mod (https://www.systemshock.org/index.php/topic,58.html) but I think I'll let it be in fear of bugs etc., it's more of a risk..

6635168bcb1a1miracle.flame

6635168bcb1f1
If you are really good at fps then go for it.. that will boost fun factor a lot. Anyway when playing on the second go you usually already know where all the cameras are so not much deal.
6635168bcb464
If you are really good at fps then go for it.. that will boost fun factor a lot. Anyway when playing on the second go you usually already know where all the cameras are so not much deal.
The guy I'm planning on lending my copy of SS2 has played some FPS in the past but I don't think he's an expert. I'm thinking that perhaps only the really FPS noobs won't benefit from this mod but even the normal/average players will?

6635168bcb519miracle.flame

6635168bcb56f
It's hard to say what's average but just try it without mod and if you set off alarm quite often even with the pathetic warnings present then you probably don't need to make it harder with this.
6635168bcb6bf
This mod is an excellent idea, and very necessary in my opinion.  It makes "listening" to the wonderful ambient effects in the game that much more important.

Unfortunately, I can't get the mod to work.  I extracted the files into a mod-ready game folder, and I still get warning chirps from cameras.  Did I not put some of the files where they belong?

I don't use modmanager, for reasons I can't go into right now.  So assume I'm going to be applying the mod directly.  Thanks.

R-800

6635168bcb770miracle.flame

6635168bcb7bf
the SND directory should go under your SShock2 directory.. but it depends much what you have set in your install.cfg
6635168bcb91f
Perhaps an alternate solution would be to just lower the noise the cams make to a very low level. It should be a very easy thing to do.

6635168bcb9acGlory to the Many

6635168bcb9fa
Is it possible to have randomized camera placement?

6635168bcbacemiracle.flame

6635168bcbb28
Quiet bleeps? Why?

Randomized camera placement would be complicated mod incompatibile with most other mods. But it is possible. Would be fine feature of Zygoptera's Randomiser.
6635168bcbc19
Quiet(er) bleeps because then it will be harder for the player to hear them without paying attention to it.

6635168bcbcedXenoSpyro

6635168bcbd43
Yah the cameras are nothin to me now. I used to be scared by them like several years back, but now I know where every camera is exactly.

Perhaps if there was a level mod that changes camera loca-ooh I smell cookie '='
6635168bcbe4c
This.. I like this. It's been long enough since I last played that I don't remember the location of each and every camera, so this will make things.. interesting.

Your name:
This box must be left blank:

A familiar passcode with 3 digits:
1 Guest is here.
"Sayonara Baby!" (Terminator II, Spanish version)
Contact SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2016, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies
FEEP
6635168bccfe9