66714cff94c7c

66714cff95359
1 Guest is here.

Topic: ES_loop Question Read 797 times  

66714cff957afYankee Clipper

66714cff9582a
I find the constant buzzing of the Laser Rapier to be extremely annoying. It gives me a headache. I don't have a problem with the noises it makes when I hit something with it - those sounds I want. It's just the buzzing that it makes when it's equipped and you aren't doing anything with it that drive me crazy. So, I figured I would edit out the sound. I used ShockED, editing the shock2.gam file that came with ADaOB v.0.3.0. I went into Object Hierarchy | Schema | WEAPON_SCH | WEAPON_MELEE | ES_loop. I edited the Play Params, changing the volume from -1200 to -4200. I tested inside ShockED - noise level was fine. Saved, and then started a new game.

But, right off the bat in the training sequences on Earth, my footsteps were gone and the doors no longer made noises when opening. But, other  sounds were still there.

Where did I go wrong?

66714cff959cevoodoo47

66714cff95a20
never edit the gamesys without having some actual map loaded.
66714cff95b9c
Also it would be much easier (and more compatible with other mods) to replace the buzz sound with a short silent WAV file, instead of editing gamsys for that. Unless you're doing other changes as well.

66714cff95cadYankee Clipper

66714cff95cf9
Actually, I was doing a few other things in the Energy tree, so it wasn't just the sound. But, anything I can do outside of the gamesys would be preferable. I have a silent .wav, but how do I get the game to use it instead?

Also, is that true about having to have a .mis loaded whenever anything is being done to the .gam file? If so, is it documented anywhere? I have read just about everything I have been able to find on ShockEd, and don't recall seeing anything like that. But, there are a lot of things I don't understand about that software, so if some of this basic stuff is documented somewhere, I would very much like to check it out.
66714cff95e69
Open the data\res\snd.res file with 7zip, inside you should find a Weapons subfolder with the buzzing sound. There may be a copy in SS Infinite's snd\weapons\ folder, but I have no way to check now: in the very least, it can show you that you also need to replicate the folders' structure later for your mod.

To edit sounds, I use Audacity: you would have to highlight the whole sound, then do Generate Silence. Wait until you're desperate, to attempt editing the schema files themselves (not just switching their class tags in the gamesys), because that's annoying.

Edit
Make a habit of loading a map, before editing and saving the gamesys. Also make a backup folder outside of the SS2 one, and deposit there your stuff every day. Remember the difference between editing an npc inside a map, and its gamesys archetype: the npc properties from the map overwrite the archetype's, so old savegames with map objects might still exhibit traits you thought were gone.
« Last Edit: 13. June 2014, 11:50:15 by xdiesp »
66714cff966ea
Actually, I was doing a few other things in the Energy tree, so it wasn't just the sound. But, anything I can do outside of the gamesys would be preferable. I have a silent .wav, but how do I get the game to use it instead?
Copy then rename copy to es_loop.wav is easiest. It has to go in the correct override folder as well, of course.

Also, is that true about having to have a .mis loaded whenever anything is being done to the .gam file? If so, is it documented anywhere?
I stuck it into the revised ShockEd Tutorial (part III, under gamesys editing), though I didn't give the reason for doing so it is because sounds may be lost.
1 Guest is here.
I know you guys are hungry.... me too.
Contact SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2016, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies
FEEP
66714cff974e2